Author Topic: X-58 as kit "Beta Test"  (Read 2955 times)

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
Re: X-58 as kit "Beta Test"
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
I love to build kits.  I miss the manufacturers offering them.

Enjoy,
Wolf

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »
I often find myself going to manufacturers for cars in kit form to use when kitbashing or scratchbuilding.  Most manufacturers will offer this service.  I have relied heavily on Intermountain boxcar parts for the outfit cars I am currently building, and Atlas and Micro-Trains have done the same for me with other projects.  As Brian correctly states, obtaining undecorated kits is far preferable to dismantling and stripping assembled cars.  I have no idea what portion of the N Scale market undertakes this kind of work, but as long as the mnaufacturers are willing  and able to supply undecorated unassembled parts I am happy.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »
I often find myself going to manufacturers for cars in kit form to use when kitbashing or scratchbuilding...

I recently ordered a bunch of Atlas undecorated ore cars, weights, loads, and brake wheels from Atlas before they had their parts price increase -- a simple kit that cost me about $6 plus change for each car. And sisne I'm putting Micro-Trains trucks/couplers on the cars, I didn't have to waste money buying the Accumate trucks/couplers.

Hmm... has anyone priced
termites lately...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
20+ for a high quality kit or an undec is not out of line.

I would buy either for this proto-type.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:37:46 PM by pfs »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
X58 as a kit - not viable
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »
Sadly it won't be happening with this model.  Labor is a factor in the RTR price but this is not an easy model to produce either.  It wasn't designed to be offered as a kit when the mold runners or etched parts were arranged.  The etched parts are arranged by type in bulk on a sheet.  Packaging would be a major issue, as many of the injection molded detail parts are too small to separate from the runner.  The roof grabs would be an issue.  The coupler assembly is not for the timid.  While the draft gear will accept AccuMates and McHenrys, the bolsters will only accept BLMA 75-ton trucks.  And there is a high reject rate on the plastic parts as well due to fill issues.  That's a major reason why the Keystone and Hydra-Cushion floor/underframe detail part that are available separately are pre-painted and pre-assembled.

We tried the undecorated option with the G26 and it was not viable.  So there will not be undecorated X58 models available, especially given that there are eight possible model variations.  A large majority of the schemes painted on the prototype across the decades will be released in the series, so everyone will have to be patient as we role through the release schedule.  The good news from that standpoint is that the contractor's production schedule was firmed up this week and the next release will hit the water the first week of August and be on the market around Labor Day.

Also - Lee, there are no PRR decals available (or LV or PC or CR or CB&Q or BN or NS), so it's either LVRR or Baconrail, one or the other.  8)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:52:12 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
Bryan -
What about just the basic shell of the body being available or perhaps with or w/o underframe?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
The body alone has three variations.  Any undec production would have to be piggy-backed with a decorated RTR batch to avoid minimums.  I tried that with undec pre-orders on the G26, and the numbers were abysmal.  So while detail parts will be available here and there, no ESM undec anything is forthcoming.  And to be honest even the demand for the detail parts, including the two complete X58 floors/underframes that can be retrofitted to existing 50' boxcars, is nearly non-existent.  Current detail parts on hand are overages from prior RTR production runs.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
I might have some BLMA or FVM trucks for you, in exchange for some band saw time.

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »
In defense of undec's you had every major paint scheme that the g26 came in pretty much announced or promised as an additional run. The x-58 in all honesty hasn't left its original road for that matter prr/pc/cr/ns.  (even though there was sufficient odd ball PC/CR paint/weathering combos to justify a small run IMHO...not saying that is financially feasible)

I am not trying to get you worked up about undecs we already done that. However the two models we are discussing you pretty much had both covered in your announced paint schemes and that only leaves people who prefer to DIY one or two in addition to buying rtr.

I ordered 5 with chuck (g26), and if I recall you said that was about the total....would the 58 do better? prob not seeing you do a good job at covering the paint and do it accurately .

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »
It was about 15 pieces in total, but I agree with you.  While some people want undecs to freelance, it's not enough to warrant adding them to the production run.  Even Atlas and InterMountain bring in very few undecs when they release product, and their quantity runs are much greater than ESM.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net