Author Topic: X-58 as kit "Beta Test"  (Read 2956 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
X-58 as kit "Beta Test"
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
I've been after Bryan at ESM to offer his amazing rolling stock in kit form.  He insists that the economics aren't there, and that N scale as a market is pretty focused on RTR.  While there's no question that the products he's offering are nothing short of awesome, there are those who balk at the sticker price for the finished goods.

Years ago, Micro Train stopped offering kits, but I recall back in the mid 1980s picking up a three pack of trailer train flats in kit form for the same price they were offering a single built up car.  Obviously, the cost of labor in Oregon is different than what one might pay in Bing Bangaloo, but still, one would have to imagine that there would be some savings to the consumer if the product were available in a ziploc bag as opposed to a shiny jewel box.

Anyway, last week I received a box in the mail containing all the parts necessary (save the BLMA trucks) to build an ESM x-58 boxcar.  Bryan had some leftover parts including some paint test shots, etchings, and even couplers, and he sent them along to me to fool around with.  I know his intention was purely to get some leftover stuff off his desk, but I looked at it as an opportunity to see how big a deal it would be for an average modeler to put one of these outstanding cars together.

Here's the finished product.  It's presently riding on Atlas 100 ton trucks with Bachmann's metal 36" wheels.  In the photo, it's got 33" plastic wheels, but they proved to be a little wobbly.  I plan to get a pair of BLMA trucks next time in the right zip code. 

The shell is painted white, it was a sample for either the Lehigh Valley car or a special run car for ESM's 300th anniversary or something.  Otherwise, it is undecorated.  The underframe came as a complete unit.  I'm not sure if it consists of more than one part, but I'm assuming that the fine brake piping and appliances are assembled out of several pieces.  Since this was pre-assembled, we'll say I had about a half hour handicap.  Otherwise, the shell consists of the basic box, two etched footboards, a small footboard at the brake wheel, the long running board along the top, which includes two small wire grabs, and three plastic parts, the braces at the ends of the running board, and the brake wheel.

For the most part, assembly was pretty straightforward.  I found the circular sprue around the brakewheel a tad cumbersome, but I'd blame my dull blade before I complained too loudly.  I squeezed a drop or 7 of CA into a beer bottle cap I had handy (imagine that!) and used a small bit of wire as an applicator.  This technique was successful at installing all of the etched bits.  If anything needs to be altered for this to be a successful kit, though, it would be some sort of guide for ensuring that the walkboard ends up straight and centered.   As it is, the walkboard just floats on top of the pads that are cast into the roof, so you have to carefully align it as you're securing it with CA.

Also, the brakewheel is sized a bit small compared to the mounting hole, so it requires glue to be secured.  A design that allows this to be press fit would be helpful... an errant splash of plastic solvent could easily spoil the paint should a kit be offered that is factory decorated.  The plastic braces for the ends of the walkboards also require glue, but there is a handy ledge cast into the shell that makes it easy to position and secure.  I used liquid plastic solvent cement to make those connections.

The only part that presented a significant challenge was the wire grabs that need to be inserted into tiny holes etched in the walkway.  In retrospect, I would have put these on before I installed the walkboard to the roof, in order to try to get them down a little lower.  The length of the legs on the grabs is a little long in my estimation.  I'm not sure how they handle these at the factory, nor do I have a factory car to compare it to, so I'll accept it as good enough.  Once painted, I'm sure they'll assume a certain level of invisibility.

The whole project, including assembling the ingeniously designed coupler pocket, took about three sides of a Long Play record.  (about 50-60 minutes... I was listening to Weather Report "Heavy Weather" followed by a side of Venus and Mars by Wings.)  I don't think that's an unreasonable block of time to put together a fine looking model like this.  With a list price for the RTR version topping $32, I think a kit of this could be quite popular, even if it tips the scales at around $20 - 25.  Simplified packaging, minimal labor, and perhaps even reduced shipping, and I'm sure this car would find a market.

Or, maybe it's just me because I'm cheap.

Anyway, I wanted to share the results of my experiment with you, and I look forward to your feedback.
Lee

I'm not sure how I'm going to letter it...  I'm thinking I'll work up a design for a Laurel Valley X-58, either that or I'll get some PRR decals, if the right set is available.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:41:53 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: X-58 as kit "Beta Test"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »
Lee,
Thanks for sharing.  Yet another reason to get out to the shore I guess.

I have to agree with you that this would make an excellent kit.  I have on win PRR right now ( that really needs weathering; and I plan to get one in CR which may be more era appropriate (if a tad fudged geographically) for my KCS.

But having three or four I could play with that were under kits would be the bomb.  and I can save up a hundred clams to do it if Bryan announces enough lead time.  Of course, it would be easier if Chulvis took actual clams as payments . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
Great thread!

Thanks to you and Bryan.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »

...With a list price for the RTR version topping $32, I think a kit of this could be quite popular, even if it tips the scales at around $20 - 25.

I think that's way too high for a kit. The most expensive Intermountain kit, an ACF 4650 Cubic Foot 3-Bay Hopper, costs $14.95 list. Most of their other kits (reefers and boxcars) are $9.95 (undec) to $12.95. And look at the number of parts in those kits. That offers hours of modeling enjoyment (or going crazy, depending on your mental stability).

Hmm... Kiz is holding up
well, putting together 48
Intermountain tank car
kits... Oops, there he
goes, sticking his head
in the oven - and it's
electric...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
I'm not as put off by the price, and it does seem like a good project for those interested.  I wonder though if ESM would benefit much by having an inventory of kits in the different road names.  Undecorated I can see.

Personally, I love kits- I'm happy to see more on the market.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »
Lee:  REPORT to Guangdong Province IMMEDIATELY for production duties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:40:05 PM by ljudice »

BN1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:50:14 PM »
I'd love to able to buy some X-58's unpainted as a kit for some kit bashing I have in mind.  Much better than stripping a RTR X-58. --Brian

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
Where is my free s#!t?  :P :tommann:
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 12:44:32 AM »
I HO, twenty years ago, I loved kits.  I have built one N scale Intermountain 4750 hopper kit in my life .. it turned out well but I swore I would never build another and I haven' t.

I have a love / hate relationship with Craig's BLMA detail parts.   They look great but some drive me insane and all test both my eyesight and patience.

If you can do it ... great.     I, however,  won't buy an N scale rolling stock kit from any manufacturer. 

Just my experience ... if there is a market ... bring 'em on !

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:02:43 AM »
Shut up, Ian.  You get free donuts.

:D
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:36:41 AM »
This may be apocryphal, but I've heard that one of the main reasons Micro-Trains stopped offering kit cars was all the money they lost on returns. Apparently less-than-scrupulous modelers would break/lose something while assembling one kit, buy a second kit, liberate the needed part(s), and then return said second kit as being "defective"  :x

Cheers,
-Mark

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
I'm more inclined to buy RTR vs. kits.  I did buy an Intermountain hopper car kit years ago.  It did not turn out as well as the RTR version I bought later on.  At some point I'll need to improve my kit building/kit bashing skills if I ever want some decent PRR steam, but I'll keep hoping for RTR.  I'm willing to pay the price for RTR.  To me it is a value/price relationship and I'm willing to spend a little more to save time (and looking for those little parts that will invariably end up on the floor).

Scott

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »
Where is my free s#!t?  :P :tommann:

Typical cop comment!

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
Lee,First I have notice some  N Scale cars costs more then their bigger HO brethren. :facepalm:

However..

I'm not foolish.

I would not buy a  N Scale kit simply because of the limited use of my once dominate right hand and the awkwardness of modeling left handed.

As a example.

Most modelers can easily assemble a  N Scale kit with fine details(like your example) but,for me it would be near impossible to add the tiny parts left handed.

I do well to change out trucks and wheel sets in the wee scale.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
Typical cop comment!

This ain't a Dunkin Donuts... don't you have some sewer project to design or something?
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1