Author Topic: The Burlington C&I Sub  (Read 26244 times)

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: The Burlington C&I Sub
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »
I am surprised about this though, since no one said anything about this issue relative to the previous posts on this thread, which are also out on Nscale.net

Actually, since I didn't see any "broken image" icons, I figured the thread was just light on pictures.  :|

According to the image info, nscale.net is giving out 1-pixel-square transparent GIFs, thus avoiding the "broken image" icon and making it look like there's simply nothing there.

The pictures of yours that I can see, back at the beginning of the thread, are hosted from TrainBoard/RailImages. That may be your best option, since you're obviously already using them for hosting.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 06:45:57 AM »
Yah, what Zox said. I only see three pictures. Wait, theres more???
Buffering...

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 04:49:31 PM »
OK, guys.  I went back and edited the URLs for the images to link to Trainboard instead of nscale.net. 
Hopefully this takes care of the problems some of you were having, and we can move on from here!

Sorry for the inconvenience!   :oops:
Regards,
Paul

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »
Yes, the thread is much more..."pictureful" now. :)

Thanks for persevering!
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »
Looks great Paul! Keep the pictures coming.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 09:33:19 PM »
Paul,
Much better.  Looking at the photos along with the narrative, the challenge of retrofitting a helix becomes clearer.  You do have what appears to be a ton of space under neath, however, so I think it might be worth a try.

Here's an idea - find yourself an empty, used appliance bow from something like a washing machine or a fridge.  Use the cardboard and one duct tape to mock up the helix in your chosen location.  Drink some Vitamin Y (or substitute Puddington's favored Vitamin MM) and cogitate.  adjust as necessary then use the mock up to make the cuts.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »
Paul,
Much better.  Looking at the photos along with the narrative, the challenge of retrofitting a helix becomes clearer.  You do have what appears to be a ton of space under neath, however, so I think it might be worth a try.

Here's an idea - find yourself an empty, used appliance bow from something like a washing machine or a fridge.  Use the cardboard and one duct tape to mock up the helix in your chosen location.  Drink some Vitamin Y (or substitute Puddington's favored Vitamin MM) and cogitate.  adjust as necessary then use the mock up to make the cuts.

I hadn't thought of a cardboard mock-up, but that's really a pretty good idea.  I'm not so sure about those vitamin drinks though.  I learned a long time ago that it's better not to play with sharp instruments unless you're sober.  :D
Regards,
Paul

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
Slowly, oh, so slowly am I adding scenery to the C&I Sub. I currently have a ton of scenery material that needs to be applied, but am not feeling particularly motivated at the moment.  In the last week or so I have added some background greenery to the Plum Creek area,

and also "watered" the Rock River at Oregon (acrylic paint covered with mod-podge).

I also ordered some Sceniking sections for my "front drop" and am waiting to see what that brings about -- I hope I end up liking it better than the painted ones I currently am not re-installing!!
Regards,
Paul

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5506
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 03:07:30 AM »
Hate to ask, but trackplan?

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
BTW, real nice model of the Savanna depot! I have stood on the cement slab there today. Its great to see it "rise from the ashes"!!!! Well done sir!!!

I hope to make the Galesburg one do the same someday...
Buffering...

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »
Hate to ask, but trackplan?

Chris: 

thanks for pointing this out. 

I went back and re-linked the images I had included to Trainboard, rather than Nscale.net as I did originally.  Hopefully you can see all of these now, and I also hope the discussion makes a little more sense with the visuals available to you.

The base (single-level, with staging) trackplan was included as an image in Post #4 to this thread, and some alternative track plans involving a helix and a lower staging level were included in Post #11 to this thread.

Thanks for looking, and for your comments!
Regards,
Paul

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
The latest additions to the layout are some additional work to scenic the Plum Creek area using some other products.  Besides WS trees, I've started filling in with clump foliage, and fine leaf :

And, a new front drop in the Oregon area.  This is a 3-1/2 inch high masonite band that has had a modified SceniKing "Blueberry Hill" panorama applied:

I kind of like the way this is shaping up so far, but I still have another 8+ feet to go and thought it'd be good to check it before proceeding.  What do y'all think?
Regards,
Paul

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
That background picture is the scenic block denoted by the dashed line on the plan right? It looks good.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
That background picture is the scenic block denoted by the dashed line on the plan right? It looks good.

Thanks for that.  the "back drop" is a darker blue than what I have the "front drop" painted at the time of this photo.  I have since gone back and repainted the sky on the front drop trying to blend the sky colors on the front- and back-drops a little better.  In person it looks fine, but in photos it's still noticable enough of a difference that I would have to retouch to blend them.....

....and I still have a lot of other stuff to work on as well:  anyone want to spend some freetime ballasting my layout for me?  :facepalm:
Regards,
Paul

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »
The earliest appearance of the phrase "givens and druthers" (and indeed, the word "druthers" in any context) in Model Railroader magazine was in the April 1982 issue, in a John Armstrong article entitled "The Carlsbad, East Portal, and Zenith RR."

That may have been the first time used in Model Railroader, but I believe it at least dates back to his "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" book, which was first published in 1963, I believe.

Jim