Author Topic: Painting flexible handrails.......  (Read 2164 times)

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +579
Painting flexible handrails.......
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
I recently picked up some new "paint" and I'm so pleased with it I thought I'd share my thoughts....

The product is NAPA # 7223 clear polypropylene primer. I have included a pic for those who want to see what they would get...

I am pleased to report that this stuff is great, fairly cheap(10$ US) and easy to use.....Just spray it on lightly from all angles and presto, your paint will stick to it, without the usual "flaking". It is just a regular spray can, with a vertical line spray pattern. There is a bonus, too, as it's flat. I also discovered that if you brush paint Accu-paint or Tru-color onto it, the paint mixes into the clear, not staying on top of the clear, kinda neat. Basically, I had some overspray I wanted to cover up on a gp7 walkway, so I brush painted some Accu-paint black(which is glossy) onto it, and a few minutes later I couldn't tell where I had brush painted it, and all was flat.

I also brush painted some Pollyscale onto it, though it didn't seem to "mix" in, no flaking paint to report......

I have heard that you can spray it into a bottle and thin with laquer thinner, and then airbrush it, but I don't see a need for that. It sprays on fairly thin, and didn't seem to be all that noticable once dry, except the shiny Geep walkway was now flat....

For those not near a NAPA, I have heard that Dupont Flexlar 350s or Specialty Performance Products# SXA 1050 Plastic Adhesion Promoter will work as well, but I have not tried them.

So here it is, along with a few of the models I used it on....(and it's a good excuse to show pics of my models again).......

I hope this post was helpful....

avel

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Layout Album
Re: Painting flexible handrails.......
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:17:28 AM »
This post was extremely helpful
iamaman27 on the youtubes

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +266
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: Painting flexible handrails.......
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
Specialty Performance Products# SXA 1050 Plastic Adhesion Promoter will work as well, but I have not tried them.

I've used the SXA 1050 for years without any sign if chipping or flaking under normal to moderate handling!  The stuff is great!