Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/25/12  (Read 9629 times)

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Weekend Update 3/25/12
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »
It'll be extended into the building, once the building exists...

I got that Sean.  ;)

Nice to see you using Sanborn's... Terrific reference tool.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
Only thing I did was test the C424 which Lee decoderized for me.  Runs like a champ.  Also, finally, broke out my Bachmann Doodlebug and coach.  Like how the lights stay lit no matter the track conditions.  However, that thing sounds like a coffee grinder when it runs.  Anyone else have one of these and have that problem?

The power truck is held together with 4 small screws. Mine were too tight and causing a bind. Loosen those screws about a quarter to half turn and it should help alot.
Tony Hines

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »

Nice to see you using Sanborn's... Terrific reference tool.

They're good...not always dead-on for railroads (as I've come across some that don't match official railroad maps), but sometimes they can be the only available window into the past...
Sean

MEC_FAN

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »
Coos you've been busy like the bulkheads and the loads and the foobie tank you showed last week!
Have been working on scenery the last couple of weeks at Searsport.  Also hosted three sessions of Railrun this weekend with the help of Pete, Jon and Matt helping out with dispatching and piloting, and George for helping clean track and loco wheels, thanks to all. It was a fun time and the biggest grew we ever had operate.

MEC_FAN

I love the smell of pulpwood in the morning!!

ArtinCA

• Crew
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
This was not the easiest structure kit I have ever built but, I found the AMB Laser Kit "Dill and Sons Salting Station" an enjoyable, albeit challenging, three day project, the most difficult and time-consuming part being the assembly of the twenty pickle vats.  Because of its narrow footprint, it makes a nice industry for one of those long narrow pieces of real estate we sometimes end up with on our layouts.  I have combined it with a Northeastern "Box and Crate Factory" and an old Walthers water tank to create a home for the Sauer Pickle Company and give my scratch-built pickle cars a reason for being.

Sweet! How much space did it take up? I'm thinking of one as well.

Art
Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
They're good...not always dead-on for railroads (as I've come across some that don't match official railroad maps), but sometimes they can be the only available window into the past...

No kidding. We've got a set of fire insurance maps of Sudbury, ON at my model club, and in the area of the CP yard is the simple notation "lots of tracks".

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »
No kidding. We've got a set of fire insurance maps of Sudbury, ON at my model club, and in the area of the CP yard is the simple notation "lots of tracks".

I know there were some instances in the set of Philly maps I've researched where the Sanborn Co. indicated the Reading RR refused to permit them to enter some of their properties...I wonder if that's the case with the CN maps, or desire to simplify and cut corners.
Sean

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
Coos you've been busy like the bulkheads and the loads and the foobie tank you showed last week!

Nice scenery,John.  8) I have been busy as well. It might get worse, 80 degree weather got me laid off early. I have a  few other projects coming along as well.
Here is the tank car you mentioned, a little closer to done, each side has a slightly different MEC/ logo combination.No money was spent, and no new decal sets were used, basically a scrapbox project. The car did not come with brake gear/end rail/hatch/placards, so most of that is still missing, but I bent new end rails...... the caboose, however, got un-decaled because Microscale just released a caboose set, and I'm waiting for those to arrive.....

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 06:26:17 AM »

I have been attempting to model selected scenes from my home village of Beecher City, IL (population ~ 500).  The kit for the Standard Station was close enough, but Smith's Restaurant next door does not exist as any kit.  Short of scratchbuilding skills, I elected to remove the upper floor of a DPM kit to get "close enough."  I had to see it mocked up in place before I continued.

In searching through the box of unassembled kits and scratchbuildling supplies, I rediscovered some Tobias Locomotive Works detailed interior parts for DPM kits.

I elected to combined the interior detail parts from a couple of these sets which left very little area for the kitchen.

Next step will be to apply a similar process to recreate the U.S. Post Office that was located next door.   :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:36:06 AM by rogergperkins »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5402
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Roger, if you plan to light the interior, you'll need to hit the interior with a coat of flat black, followed by your interior finish color.  DPM kits have a terrible light leak factor.  With that wonderful interior, it would be a shame to leave it dark.  A couple of small LEDs, and you'll have a nice rig there.

I really like the 1 story effect...  That's one modification I haven't made to one of them DPMs!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

rogergperkins

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
Lee, thanks for the suggestions.  I need to "talk" offline with you about lighting.

I had tried a kit modification with one of the DPM kits, but that change was to make a smaller foot print.
I had not tried to score the walls as I did with this one to change a two story to a one story building.
With the exception of the bank and hardware store, there were very few brick buildings that were two story in my hometown "downtown" area.  Most of the older structures were frame and built in the 1880's and 1890's.

I am working totally from memory, so this restaurant is not intended as an exact replication.
I have learned that I achieve better alignment of the walls of the DPM kits by using angle strip styrene (Evergreen 296 in this case) and a tile floor as a base get 90 degree corners.

I really regret that Tobias Locomotive Works detailed interiors are no long being made based on the last report I had.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:29:46 AM by rogergperkins »

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
Roger, are those interior kits still available anywhere?  I'm going to try and extend the dining area in my White Tower and oone of those would be perfect.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

rogergperkins

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2012, 08:50:27 AM »
@jnevis, Last information I had was that Tobias Locomotive Works was no longer in business.  That is from a couple of years ago.  I would be delighted if he was back in operation producing n-scale details.
The original kits included a more detailed roof and various interior details such as seen in my restaurant.
Last address I had was from product label:
P.O. Box 18875
Covington, KY 41018-0875
also two e-mails online that I have not check recently.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:04:49 AM by rogergperkins »

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
Was worth a shot
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
Maybe Dave S. would consider doing some business interiors at some point.

I know some company (maybe Tobias) also produced alternate roof styles for DPM structures... That would very useful.