Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/25/12  (Read 9632 times)

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
Re: Weekend Update 3/25/12
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »
Is that NH body something you might consider making available like the White Tower kits? It looks pretty good to me, and certainly looks to be a similar amount of work as starting with a set of brass car sides. It also looks like a good candidate for the Alclad metal paint system.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
Is that NH body something you might consider making available like the White Tower kits? It looks pretty good to me, and certainly looks to be a similar amount of work as starting with a set of brass car sides. It also looks like a good candidate for the Alclad metal paint system.

It can't be straight RP as the White Tower is because I can't avoid all of the ProJet quirks and get a clean one-piece body, which means rendering it in pieces and assembling after the fact to get a good master for polyurethane castings.  Some of the details such as the lower skirt fluting have to be etched and then inset onto the master because the RP version isn't crisp enough.  If successful castings can be made (still in doubt currently) and I make the model available for sale, the three parts (body, floor/uframe, interior) would be offered undecorated and may still be costly.  And that's aside from the required Rapido trucks.  So I don't know at this point.  The current goal is to get a master good enough to cast.  I personally need eight of them, and more if Rapido doesn't tool the Bradley Light Weights in N, so I'm going to keep at it.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »
I'm still working on the N scale Santa Fe U30CG's, using Minitrix shell on Kato U30C mechanisms:

More info:  http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?92144-Trix-U30CG/page13

Have a good week, all!
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 12:36:19 AM »
It can't be straight RP as the White Tower is because I can't avoid all of the ProJet quirks and get a clean one-piece body, which means rendering it in pieces and assembling after the fact to get a good master for polyurethane castings.  Some of the details such as the lower skirt fluting have to be etched and then inset onto the master because the RP version isn't crisp enough.  If successful castings can be made (still in doubt currently) and I make the model available for sale, the three parts (body, floor/uframe, interior) would be offered undecorated and may still be costly.  And that's aside from the required Rapido trucks.  So I don't know at this point.  The current goal is to get a master good enough to cast.  I personally need eight of them, and more if Rapido doesn't tool the Bradley Light Weights in N, so I'm going to keep at it.
Well good luck with it. I too am seriously hopeing Rapido does the Osgood Bradley Equipment as I need a few NH and a lot of B&M and all the BAR they produce. The only thing I could use more then the Osgood Bradley cars are the B&M and MEC Osgood Bradley Stainless steel "Sleepy Hollow" equipment.

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »

This is a small yard that I decided to redo.  I disconnected all the yard track and placed it on the mainline.
I then painted with area with an earth colored latex paint.

Track is back in place.  And I realigned the boundary of the cemetery and relocated the church.

Checking alignment and spacing.

Trains returned to the yard.   I started weathering the roadbed with a Tidy Track paint pen, but ran out of "paint." 
This project grew out of another project of compiling a spread sheet inventory of engines and putting some of them into their jewel cases and into storage.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:45:07 AM by rogergperkins »

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »
Just finished a paint job on a Micro-Trains 10-1-2 heavyweight sleeper. Chicago and Northwestern "Lake Bluff".

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »
Let it be known that I passed up a chance to operate on the Columbia & Western (no one in their right mind should pass up such a chance) so I could hang out with this lot:  :D

(a borrowed photo posted elsewhere by Bob the Ghost).  In fact a requisite trip to DC allowed me to spend some quality trackside time with some of the Original Asshats, and to nosh some BBQ and Yuengling with Lee afterwards.  Thanks to Lee, Phil, Bob and Carl for making the trek.

-gfh

P.S. Lee looks like he'd rather be anyhere than Here in this shot.   :x  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:17:49 PM by GaryHinshaw »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
Gary, I think we found where we'd rather be... at the Red Hot and Blue under a big glass of Yuengling!!  Thanks again for pulling this together.  Always fun to see the goons.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
Finally had a chance to lay down some serious track at the nexus of my layout.

Sanborn map of what I'm going after:

Sean

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »
Just got back from the Annual Lindsay, Ontario Train show and wanted to send props to that gang over yonder.... Sammy and I always like that show; well organized, well laid out and they attract some "not the usual suspect" layouts. The Ottawa Valley N trak guys came and they have upped their game on their well executed layout. I like a 90 + car grain train with mid train helpers moving at scale speed....For once, the NMRA experts sitting around building their craftsman kits weren't adverse to talking to the "regular Joe or Jill" that came up - a nice change of affairs.....Got a chance to spend some time with the owner of Osborne laser kits - he's the guy that has offered up over 30 uniquely Canadian (and Northern US) detail items like crossbucks, pole, mileage signs, crossing etc... in O, HO and N scale. Guy is a serious class act; made time for everyone and I've encouraged him to come here and post his announcements and new ideas; he's "one of us" when it comes to detail.... I'm goin shill for him; check out his stuff: http://www.osbornmodelkits.com/httpdocs/N_scale_railroad.htm You'll like what you see.

While Mr. Wallet didn't take a beating I did manage to locate a couple of small books that have eluded me for a while and didn't pay through the nose for them... $ 5.00 to get in and $ 3.00 for the kids isn't a problem either....

All in all, a great train show, and, as I have complained in the past about bad experiences, I felt I should give props to the guys from Lindsay fro a job well done !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 05:34:48 PM »
This week I finished these up...lowered,weathered, wood deck painted on, tarped and strapped. Although they are not 100% prototypical, I like them much better than when they were stock.

Have a great week.... :)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 05:57:59 PM »
Corn planting season is officially over - In my basement anyway.
See the Layout Engineering Report thread for details.
Steve

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 06:46:41 PM »
Only thing I did was test the C424 which Lee decoderized for me.  Runs like a champ.  Also, finally, broke out my Bachmann Doodlebug and coach.  Like how the lights stay lit no matter the track conditions.  However, that thing sounds like a coffee grinder when it runs.  Anyone else have one of these and have that problem?

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
That's one short spur Sean...  :trollface:

It'll be extended into the building, once the building exists...
Sean