Author Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Mar 15/12  (Read 988 times)

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1557
Thursday Proto Photo, Mar 15/12
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:14:56 AM »

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Thursday Proto Photo, Mar 15/12
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:36 AM »

Spent most of yesterday at the Hyattsville, MD CSX wye.  This SD40-2 was the second unit of a train from Richmond headed West.  According to one person this unit has an interesting history.  Ex PC SD-45, later to C&NW.  Rebuilt by MK into SD40-2 using straight SD40 frames and bodies. 

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:15:23 AM »
Another shot from yesterday.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »

Westbound Amtrak/NCDOT Piedmont at Hillsborough, NC at 12:38 PM today.  Up in NC briefly visiting my wife's sister and family.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
Roster shot of one of the two CP gensets. This one is on the Havelock Sub working as the Peterborough town switcher on the Kawartha Lakes internal shortline:

http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=123331

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »
A couple of grabs from the stack o' slides I'm going to have properly scanned....

C&D Canal bridge circa 1988.

Hoppers on a siding, I think at Newark Delaware, but don't quote me on that.  1988

Some old school blue goodness at Penn Mary in 1988.  Note the gigundo logo CR auto parts car... 

This slide is actually pretty sharp, but my Polish scanner (a projector on a coffee table with a camera sitting on top of it) was a little shaky.  This is the old WM "Doctors' Office" at Hillen Street in Baltimore.  As you can see, it sat beneath the Orleans Street viaduct, just west of the WM warehouse that's still standing.  There was a plan drawn up in the 1950s to make Hillen the headquarters of the railroad.  The plan included the demolition of all the old buildings save for the warehouse, and the construction of a new headquarters building, two new large warehouses, and several new buildings to handle some of the other activities, including a new smaller commuter passenger station to replace the aging Hillen Station.

In the end, only the Doctor's office and the big warehouses were built, so this was the only example of the post modern architecture of the proposal that existed. 

By the late 80's, all railroad activities at the site had halted, and Chessie the Knife was desperately trying to sell the property.  Ultimately, a parking lot operator got it, and the days of this building were numbered.  I was working in downtown Baltimore at the time, and drove by the building every day.  I hoped against hope that I could make contact with the contractor to see if I could salvage the stainless steel lettering on the front wall.  Even if I could only get the W and the M, I would have been tickled pink.  Sadly, one day I drove by, and found that the building had been knocked down and cleared in less than 24 hours, and my coveted lettering no doubt ended up in a scrap yard.  I didn't even get a chance to kipe a brick.

But what a souvenir that would have made.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 08:52:45 AM »
speaking of Chessie the Knife...

do Hampton Inn room #'s count as proto photo's?  :|

do i get extra bacon points (awarded only by Ed of course) for laughing out loud and thinking of Lee when I saw this?  :facepalm:

and... the cherry on top... it was MY room  :D

the only thing that would have made it better would ave been if i were in a foreign city like Monterrey, Mx and not Williamsburg, Va (which is not so bad).

:)

Enjoy.

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
came across a row of heavily tagged WSOR box cars this afternoon in Janesville, wi. Included were these two Micro trains offerings:

First time seeing either one in person,
Rick

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »
They tagged the MR 60th Anniversary boxcar????????  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:21:55 AM »
They tagged the MR 60th Anniversary boxcar????????  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I thought the same thing at first, Philip, but then it occurred to me that this car didn't look old enough to be the MR 60th anniversary boxcar.  That would have been from 1994.  So, I looked into it and found that it was actually the Athearn 60th anniversary boxcar.  I wasn't even aware this car existed.  Here's the "before" shot:

http://www.fuzzyworld3.com/railroad/wsor2/f503119.html

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
Here is a shot that was sent to me by a friend. I can't claim to take credit, but thought it interesting enough to share:

http://www.flyerguide.net/viewphoto.php?id=392342

I like the Geep and its paint. Discuss.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

parkrrrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »
http://www.flyerguide.net/viewphoto.php?id=392342

For what it's worth, I'm more or less familiar with that line, as it parallels US 24 between Fort Wayne and Toledo, which I drive every couple weeks or so.

As far as I know, they don't run any regular trains; it's mainly used as a parking lot for spare cars. They lost their interlocking at Defiance some years back and what's left is two disjoint sections of track that don't go anywhere in particular: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,763311