Author Topic: Making bricks with Dullcote?  (Read 1061 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Making bricks with Dullcote?
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »
Last night, as part of a test on working with cardstock, I thoroughly saturated a sample piece--a mis-assembled set of windows--with Dullcote. I mean, it was literally sitting in a small puddle of the stuff.

When I checked it this evening, the cardstock itself was undisturbed--which confirms my primary hypothesis, that the Dullcote wouldn't harm it. But I'd put the spray on so thick that it left a visible residue:

Is it my imagination, or does this look very convincingly like a brick wall?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:18:09 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...


  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4432
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +478
Re: Making bricks with Dullcote?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:33:26 PM »
You may not have shaken the Dullcote thoroughly enough and as a result the talc in it has settled on the dark surface making it look cloudy.

It does look somewhat like brick though but will be hard to duplicate, I think.

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
Member of MRHA


  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1727
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
Re: Making bricks with Dullcote?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:00:44 AM »
Sorry, Zox, looks like a speckled wall to me. Like painted concrete with lime effervescing through, which is not a bad effect in itself.

I've had this happen on matte board buildings and on locos. I'm usually generous with the Dullcoat. Usually goes away with another mist coat or two or three. I am mystified as to the cause or cure. :D I suspected humidity, sitting on the shelf way too long, or paint incompatibility, or perhaps something in the matte board, like formaldehyde in the glue. As I recall, there are esters of banana oil in Dullcoat, so maybe they don't like being preserved.

I have noticed that exposure to 91% isopropryl alcohol was involved in more than one case.

Again, it usually went away with another coat or two. Now preserving the look . . . well, put varnish over it.