Author Topic: Seaboard Central 2.0  (Read 467632 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8589
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1935 on: November 15, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »
0
Dave, Very nice  :D May I suggest a light wash of black on the stone abutments, very light just enough to add some weather and make the seams between the stones pop.

@Rich_S,

Excellent idea, and that is the plan.  I've only applied a base coat of paint to the abutments.  They'll definitely get some washes.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1936 on: November 15, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
0
@davefoxx,
I understand the tendency to want to hide Lee's remains in a bridge abutment. That said - this is fantastic. Fiddly - sure but once it's done and weathered (perhaps with some kudzu growing up the bank) the time spent will be worth it.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8589
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1937 on: November 15, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »
0
@davefoxx,
I understand the tendency to want to hide Lee's remains in a bridge abutment. That said - this is fantastic. Fiddly - sure but once it's done and weathered (perhaps with some kudzu growing up the bank) the time spent will be worth it.

@Philip H,

Haha!  Watch your back, Weldon.

"Fiddly" is the perfect description of this construction.  It will be worth it, but, man, this is going to take a while.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

C855B

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11425
  • Respect: +2893
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1938 on: November 15, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »
0
... boy, is this ever a real pain!  And, even these sections aren't finished, as I still have some sanding and filing to do, e.g., the taper underneath the blocks that mount the railings to the side of the bridge.  Ugh.

A buddy of mine has a saying (paraphrasing)... "What? Model railroading is fun? Nuh uh. Model railroading is serial frustrations, punctuated by too-infrequent moments of mild satisfaction."

:D :facepalm:
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8589
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1939 on: November 15, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
+1
A buddy of mine has a saying (paraphrasing)... "What? Model railroading is fun? Nuh uh. Model railroading is serial frustrations, punctuated by too-infrequent moments of mild satisfaction."

:D :facepalm:

@C855B,

Haha!  I couldn't have put that better myself.  I may steal that for a signature line one day.  That's a classic.

After gluing those four sections of railing to the bridge this morning, I had to walk away, because I couldn't bring myself to build another section.  So, now I'm enjoying one of those infrequent moments of satisfaction by running an intermodal train in 1980s Class I style!



DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1940 on: November 16, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »
0
If it's any consolation, I just got back from another trip to Carolina, and I can't drive by one of those bridges without eyeing it up obsessively.  I'm afraid it's become some sort of disorder.

Would it make sense to make up a master then resin cast the rest?  I had the good fortune of having DKS whip up the 10 dormers on my Cumberland Station this way.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8589
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1941 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
0
If it's any consolation, I just got back from another trip to Carolina, and I can't drive by one of those bridges without eyeing it up obsessively.  I'm afraid it's become some sort of disorder.

Would it make sense to make up a master then resin cast the rest?  I had the good fortune of having DKS whip up the 10 dormers on my Cumberland Station this way.

Lee

It would make a lot of sense.  Ed brought this up before.  But, I've got a chunk of money already invested in a pile of styrene strips (and I have spent/will spend a huge wad of cash on recent/expected releases from Atlas), so I'll probably continue on without further investment into casting materials.  Like trees, I'll just build one section per night.  Right?

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1942 on: November 16, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »
0
If it's any consolation, I just got back from another trip to Carolina, and I can't drive by one of those bridges without eyeing it up obsessively.  I'm afraid it's become some sort of disorder.

Would it make sense to make up a master then resin cast the rest?  I had the good fortune of having DKS whip up the 10 dormers on my Cumberland Station this way.

Lee

I'm sure Dave would love for you to whip up some handrails for him that way, Lee.  :o   Daniel just did a casting primer post.

Handrails look much better, Dave.  The bridge looks good. BTW, what type of colored pencil are you using to do stripes on your roads? I tried that trick with a box from Hobby Lobby, and the pencils would not leave a thin line or much of a visible one either on the styrene.
Peter Pfotenhauer

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8589
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1943 on: November 16, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »
0
Handrails look much better, Dave.  The bridge looks good. BTW, what type of colored pencil are you using to do stripes on your roads? I tried that trick with a box from Hobby Lobby, and the pencils would not leave a thin line or much of a visible one either on the styrene.

Thanks!  On the highway striping, the trick I learned from DKS is to lay down a white stripe where you want the yellow to go and then apply the yellow directly over top the white.  Otherwise, the yellow just doesn't stand out as well.  I'm just using standard artist's colored pencils bought from A.C. Moore.  Nothing special there.

Hope this helps,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1944 on: November 16, 2015, 08:38:37 PM »
0
DFF just did the same thing, white down first with yellow second. Paint not pencils.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:44:18 PM by chuck geiger »

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8589
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1945 on: November 17, 2015, 01:33:34 AM »
+1
Looking good, Chuck!

When I got home from work tonight, I had these goodies waiting for me.  These SD35s are, of course, just the first batch of Atlas locomotives coming in Seaboard System paint. The B36-7s and GP38-2s are expected to hit hobby stores at any time.



DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

conrailthomas519

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 343
  • Gender: Male
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +13
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1946 on: November 18, 2015, 08:39:14 AM »
0
Dave its getting better and better all the time!
TMM

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8589
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1947 on: November 21, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »
+3
I couldn't believe my luck.  I found a picture in one of my SCL books of an intermodal train with UPS trailers with the red stripes, just as Trainworx has just released.  The picture wasn't dated, but, judging by the paint scheme on the locomotives in the photo, it was definitely no more than two to three years prior to my modeled era.  Perfect!  A purchase of four trailers almost loads my intermodal train.





DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Rich_S

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1332
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +148
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1948 on: November 21, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »
0
I couldn't believe my luck.  I found a picture in one of my SCL books of an intermodal train with UPS trailers with the red stripes, just as Trainworx has just released.  The picture wasn't dated, but, judging by the paint scheme on the locomotives in the photo, it was definitely no more than two to three years prior to my modeled era.  Perfect!  A purchase of four trailers almost loads my intermodal train.



DFF

Dave, That is pure Seaboard Hawtness  :D

crrcoal

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 662
  • Respect: +136
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #1949 on: November 21, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
0
Very cool Dave! the whole layout just rocks!