Author Topic: Amtrak Service to Norfolk VA  (Read 456 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
Amtrak Service to Norfolk VA
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
RICHMOND, Va. — State-supported Amtrak trains will begin serving Norfolk, Va., by the end of this year, 10 months earlier than originally projected. The Commonwealth Transportation Board passed a resolution outlining the new start date today.

Virginia has grown its state-supported network as extensions to the Boston-Washington Northeast Corridor. Trains arriving in Washington from Boston and New York now continue on to Lynchburg and Richmond, Va., and ridership on the corridors has surged. The Norfolk connection will offer travelers new destinations.

The trains will use CSX rails from Washington to Petersburg, Va., then Norfolk Southern from Petersburg to Norfolk.

“There is high demand for passenger rail service in Virginia, as demonstrated by considerable ridership growth throughout the commonwealth,” said Joe McHugh, Amtrak’s vice president of government affairs and corporate communications. “We have a strong partnership with the commonwealth, and look forward to operating this expanded service to Norfolk in 2012, providing passengers the option of convenient one-seat service to Washington and Northeast Corridor destinations.”

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1556
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Amtrak Service to Norfolk VA
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
This is only news if I can catch the train in Salisbury and cross the bay on a steamboat.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:04:38 AM »
This is only news if I can catch the train in Salisbury and cross the bay on a steamboat.

Lee

Well, you could ride south of Salisbury on a covered hopper, get interchanegd eventually to the BCRR, go south to Cape Charles and ride across on a barge. Might take a couple of weeks though....
No farms, no food.

Support your local farmer's market!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »
This new train sounds like something for an impromptue  :ashat: rail outing.  Could leave from Baltimore and D.C. and return (if the timing is right).  Either way, when it starts running I've got to take this train.  The portion on the old N&W is worth it.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +2024
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
I agree, Bob.  I've always wanted to take the Amtrak train to Newport News, Virginia, too.  This route would allow me to ride on the former RF&P rails (between Washington D.C. and Richmond, Virginia) and the former C&O Peninsula Subdivision tracks between Richmond and Newport News.  The run to Norfolk on the ex-N&W trackage might be cool, too.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
so, normally when they start new service, they have some good deals .. maybe we can have a RW field trip

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:19:09 PM »
Maybe plan something for the Spring.  I've taken Amtrak to Newport News from Alexandria,
VA many years ago.  The coal piers in both Newport News and Norfolk are worth a lot of photos.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2342
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
I like this. I'm in if the timing works out.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1556
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
If the end of April works, I could make it a birthday trip with the wife...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net