Author Topic: Interesting plea in the July '64 MR  (Read 982 times)

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
Interesting plea in the July '64 MR
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »
I was scanning some old mags when I came across a one-page speech given by Bill Ryan, the president of Pacific Fast Mail, to the US Tariff Commission.  Apparently, the tariffs were raised on model trains because they seemed to be kids toys.  He begins by briefly explaining how the scale brass models are different from toys, and then states his argument.

A. Locomotives are the "heart" of model railroading.  People buy other stuff to support and display their locomotives.

B. Locomotives can't be made in the US (for various reasons he explains).

C. US manufacturing far exceeds import volume.  This includes accessory items, the publishing business, conventions, etc.

D. Please lower the tariff.  This will help the US segment of the industry.

This struck me for two things.  First, I didn't know we had any tariffs on modeling items, although given that it was 1964 I guess that's not surprising.  Do we have anything like that today?   Second, I'd never thought about locomotives being that important.  I've always been more of a freight car person.  I think he's right though.
Aaron Bearden

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Re: Interesting plea in the July '64 MR
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »
Aaron,Without going political suffice it to say the tariff was to save American jobs from going overseas.

What it meant to us modelers was no more brass steam locomotives for less then $50.00 which was a good deal for locomotives from PFM,United,Sunset,Balboa,Tenshodo.

I really miss those days..

Larry

Summerset Ry.