Author Topic: Wheel pullers  (Read 683 times)

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Wheel pullers
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »
I need to get myself a wheel puller. I have about 10 AB sets of ER Models Sharks and all the wheel sets are to narrow. Their wheel gage must have been off a bit since all mine are off by the exct same amount.

Anyway, I was looking at the puller offered through the Micro Mark catalog. I know MM can be hit or miss on some of their tools so came here to ask if there is a better puller that modelers use.

Thanks.

Brian
Brian

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +442
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Wheel pullers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »
I think Lee just does it by hand with a twisting motion . . . no doubt honed by years of opening Vitamin Y.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1623
Re: Wheel pullers
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
Brian,

It seems most N scale locomotive manufacturers undergauge their wheelsets.  Instead of purchasing a unitasker tool, I just get between the back of the wheel and the truck with a small screwdriver.  A little twist and you can move the wheelset out.  After doing enough of these you should get the feel for how much to twist.  Don't worry about going too far, because you can squeeze the sideframe and move the wheel back in, too.  The only tool that you need, besides the screwdriver, is an NMRA gauge.

Help this helps,
Dave Foxx

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer