Author Topic: Bachmann RS-3 gets a solid B+  (Read 10961 times)

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: Bachmann RS-3 gets a solid B+
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
I looked at the Bachmann model and I picked that the cab windows were a bit out of whack. Then looking at the photos the body ends looked a bit too square so I left it where it was. The old question is how many RS3s can one bear in the fleet. Not being a DCC modeller so the chip does not worry me. I am going to look at three of them though to put under some of my V Line RF15 Shells. I still have about twenty to power up.

Regards
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
Re: Bachmann RS-3 gets a solid B+
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies Dave and Lee.

In my case, DCC isn't an issue since I'm solidly stuck in the stone age with DC. Oddly enough I find wiring layouts for DC fascinating, so that won't be changing soon 8)

I do know that I would end up detailing it to match the prototype, so Bachmann wins in that department. Then again, the roadnames are limited (no Rock Island or Milwaukee) and doing a full custom paint/decal job is beyond my capabilities at the moment.

I'll try to compare the two at my LHS, especially with what Al and others have stated about the cab windows and body, perhaps seeing the two in person will give me a definitive answer.

Anyway, I'll mull over this while doing some patented armchair modeling, or just do the easy thing and  buy a locomotive that only one company offers  :D

thanks again,
Lucas