Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/11/11  (Read 14524 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
Weekend Update 12/11/11
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:24 PM »

Still doing the Kitchen & Living Room so the Xacto remains cold .

Richie Dost

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 12/11/11
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:49:33 PM »
So; my car is smacked; my son is puking all over the house and we have snow.... but; I modeled, so the world is ok....

I was feeling very "Richie" this week................. ;)

A year or so ago, I broke the "political correctness" barrier and made a Rothman's Cigarette trailer.... well; guess what... I did it again.........

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp503439jpa.jpg

My idol, Jim Parker, who phototgraphed dang near anything rail related shot that little beauty in 1970.......well, I had to get "jiggy" with that one.... ain't photoshop grand ? I used the photo, made decals and.....

Gotta love tobacco trailers....

Moving on............

My son loves Kraft Dinner............I can't eat it, even if it was covered with JD....but I can not resist a Kraft Food trailer....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp503449jpa.jpg

This was a blast to make; I used Photoshop to copy the image and getting it "aligned".... then we went to town.....

I remember seeing these as a kid on the CN Woodbridge sub.... the paint is Flat Alum. with a beige mixed in to age it......

and then...... sorry; boring Puddy history lesson coming....

My dad and uncle worked for "Hinky Dink"........ok; Hinde and Dauch...... the Sandusky, Ohio firm that originated corrugated paper and the corrugated box... H&D opened a Canadian arm in Toronto in the 30's and in 1947 my dad joined them. H&D in the USA sold out to West Virginia Pulp and Paper (Westvaco) in 1960 and soon after (like a nano second later) they spun off the Canadian Divisions to Dominion Tar and Chemical (Domtar) and the largest pulp and paper company in Canada was born.

As a kid, I remember that out the back of the Etobicoke, Ont. plant there was always a few old (and I mean 1950's) trailers that were used for maintenance storage. I always loved the old H&D trailers that were sitting there; rusting but colourful reminders of a proud company that had invented corrugated boxes and the modern way of shipping everything.....

The H&D trailers were yellow and black but featured "Cora-gated"; a young woman dressed in a box... (a fashion plate to be sure) and were unique to the Canadian Division.... "but"..... I remembered a green and black one.... old and rusty... it disappeared before too long but it made an impression on a young guy...... shift to 2004; MR's Great Model Railways had a piece on a HO module with a H&D trailer in green and black; complete with "Cora-gated"......and the search began....

Now, we all know HO has "everything"... and even though I tried to find a HO verision, I never could.... dang; can't even make my own decals....well.............

The other day, for my "day job", I'm title searching trade marks and come across some H&D images by accident; a few more key strokes got me to a crappy picture of the very trailer I remembered and was in the MT GMR article....

Well; Photoshop; here we come...........

Dirty; rusty and not in working order, this Micro Metals trailer that I applied some custom decals to is a direct throw back to my past; it links my love of my former employer and the place I trained in my craft to my family's over 200 years of service.... and reminds me of a time when a factory was a "cool" place to visit....it sits at a sheet feeder (a plant that buys corrugated sheets and makes boxes with them) and stores "whatever" for them... just like my experience....

.... and if your hobby can do that for you, then you're in the right hobby..... ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:03:40 AM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:27:44 AM »

My son loves Kraft Dinner............I can't eat it, even if it was covered with JD....but I can not resist a Kraft Food trailer....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp503449jpa.jpg

Ok as a south park fan I gotta ask, what exactly is a kraft dinner? and before I go stumbling to the all knowing wikipedia maybe I'll ask a real live canuk.

Absolutely sick tobacco trailer BTW  8).
Regards
Tony A

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:43:36 AM »
Pretty much this weekend was filled with tuning the heisler some more, for some reason, it randomly stalls on strait runs, sometimes it will run fine thouth a spot, next lap it will stall, and back and forth......
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:02:37 AM »
Fantastic work, Pud.  You get great effect with those "home rolled" cigarette trailers...

Smokin! 8)
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »
Ok as a south park fan I gotta ask, what exactly is a kraft dinner? and before I go stumbling to the all knowing wikipedia maybe I'll ask a real live canuk.

Absolutely sick tobacco trailer BTW  8).

Kraft Dinner.... macaroni and cheese...well, maybe cheese is too much... it's a cheese sauce you make and it tastes like... well... you can figure that one out....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
Kraft Dinner is a food group  :D

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Kraft Dinner is a food group  :D

If I had a 1,000,000 dollars
We'd take a limousine cause it costs more
We wouldnt have to eat Kraft dinner ...but we would eat Kraft Dinner, ya with exotic ketchup.. ya Dijon Ketchup..."
The Bare Naked Ladies - "If I had a million dollars"

Yet another Canadian cultural gift to the world..... :D

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »
We'd take a limousine cause it costs more
We wouldnt have to eat Kraft dinner ...but we would eat Kraft Dinner, ya with exotic ketchup.. ya Dijon Ketchup..."
The Bare Naked Ladies - "If I had a million dollars"

Yet another Canadian cultural gift to the world..... :D

Ah, BNL...  A favorite at our house!

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
Don't forget the Beastie Boys' song "She's Krafty"  :ashat:

Finished up a wooden boxcab for the Trainboard "Build-A-Boxcab Challenge" (I'm only three weeks late):

The shell sits on a Bmann 44-tonner mech, and just slips on & off, so I can build another more modern boxcab shell (next year's BABC?) and swap it out to change eras.

Here's me boxcab bringing in vital supplies to Mt. Coffin:

There's more picts over on the Mt. Coffin & Columbia River layout report thread.
Thanks for looking, and great to see all the fab work everyone does.
Keep those picts rolling!
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
I nudged MC to finish his boxcab (three weeks late!). :)  Now off to the train show (Herndon, VA)

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 11:31:27 AM »
That boxcab is outstanding; very, very nice !

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
Ahhh....Mac n' Cheese and BNL.  Is this the best thread ever??!!
Andrew Hegstad

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 12:19:39 PM »
I spent a good part of my week working on this representation of the local train station:  :D