Author Topic: Can ConCor S-2 engines be "remotored?"  (Read 4313 times)

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Can ConCor S-2 engines be "remotored?"
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »
I have two of these engines which I run very little because they run far too fast at the lowest transformer setting.  I am running DC and wonder if a different motor could be installed to get them to "creep."
Thanksl

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +237
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Can ConCor S-2 engines be "remotored?"
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
I wasn't aware Con Cor ever made an S series switcher. They made the SW 1500 calf and cow I remember but not an S2.... it wouldn't be the Arnold one would it; metal shell...? If not could you please post a pic ?

If it is, indeed, the Arnold then it can be re-motored but I haven't done it. A few around here have, I believe so they could chime in.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +147
    • Modutrak
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »
I wasn't aware Con Cor ever made an S series switcher. They made the SW 1500 calf and cow I remember but not an S2.... it wouldn't be the Arnold one would it; metal shell...? If not could you please post a pic ?

If it is, indeed, the Arnold then it can be re-motored but I haven't done it. A few around here have, I believe so they could chime in.

Lol, he's talking about a steam engine.  I'm sure it can be remotored, but don't recall any specific references.
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
I wasn't aware Con Cor ever made an S series switcher.

You could switch with it I guess.  :)

Jason

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
Re: Can ConCor S-2 engines be "remotored?"Woo-Woo Ka Choo
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
        The Con Cor S2 is a model of a Great Northern Railway S2 4-8-4 locomotive,some of the prototypes featured a Canadian style vestibule cab. KATO manufactured this model for Con Cor,everyone was excited because it was the first KATO U.S. Steam Locomotive. they ran pretty good in their day,but yes a bit fast. Kato was going to do an SP GS4 version for Con Cor. Then Con Cor and KATO parted ways. Con Cor later went to China to have a knock off copy S2 manufactured. Most of these were also pretty good,but occaisionaly the quality did not match KATO. The same drive train was then used for Con Cor's GS 4 Daylight locos. The unique GN pilot truck was retained,requiring a modeler to cut off the side frames to expose the wheels ala SP Prototype. My expierence with all of these locomotives has been good. Con Cor use to stock the Vandy Tenders as a spair parts item. I would like to get two to convert my Con Cor UP&SP 2-10-2 locos to vandy tenders as they would easly  :| retrofit and a Bachmann C&O Vandy does not. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +237
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »
Just goes to show you; English; the exact language.......... :D

Besides, I've got Alco switcher on the brain disease>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-X
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1549
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
I've got three Arnold S-2 switchers (I realize that's not the topic :facepalm:) that I'm decodering for a guy.  He's got them all dolled up with NWS wheel sets, and other than a little Alco growl, they run great.  I may have to break down and get a couple of them with all the switching duties I've got on the layout.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
Hi Roger,

I've got one just like yours. There is no drop-in replacement that will solve the high-speed problem. At least not that I know of.  Some day I'll try to put a decoder in mine. Perhaps you could wire a resistor into the motor circuit, but I think that might be as much work as installing a decoder, and probably wouldn't do much in any case.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +262
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »
I've got three Arnold S-2 switchers (I realize that's not the topic :facepalm:) that I'm decodering for a guy.   I may have to break down and get a couple of them with all the switching duties I've got on the layout.

Lee,
Which decoder are you using for the Arnold S-2's?

Allen...

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +932
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:45:39 AM »
The Kato S-2 4-8-4 (a.k.a. Con-Cor S-2 4-8-4) is what I used to make my SP&S E-1 4-8-4.
I do not know of any "drop in" replacement that will slow it down.  The real problem is that it is
simply geared way too fast.  A slower motor might help if you could find it, but
you'll still be fighting the battle of getting enough torque out of the motor at the low revs you
would need to move the engine smoothly at low speed.

I replaced the motor with a Faulhaber 1016 coreless with a 4:1 gearhead on it.   The gearhead is
the magic that solved the speed and power problems.

It is not "drop in".  You have to get in there with a Dremel and a cutter and ream out the frame cavity to
make more room.  That took time because the frame was very hard brass. 
I also had to use a piece of  steel tubing to join the motor shaft to the worm shaft.
Like so:

The end result is excellent.  I think it runs better than any other remotoring/kitbashing project
I've ever done.  It can creep under 1 mph on straight DC, and the top speed is good too, (not too slow... around 80 I think).

The Nov/Dec 2010 N Scale Railroading has photos and an article on it, but I can send you some pics if you need them.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:34:12 PM by mmagliaro »

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +298
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:59:12 AM »
The newer Chinese-made "Rail Baron" S-2's run much slower than the Kato-made S-2's. They also have the virtue of being DCC-Ready (8-pin NMRA socket in the tender). On the downside, they cannot handle sharp curves as well as the Kato-made S-2's (the bearing blocks on the driver axles rendering them useless on 11"-radius curves or narrower).

Cheers,
-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »
The Kato S-2's came out in 1985 and the Rail Baron S-2's came out in 2001. I forget how they were marked, but imagine the Kato-made units say "Kato" or "Japan" someplace, whereas the Rail Baron S-2's would be stamped "China". If there's any doubt, pop the shell off the tender. If it has a DCC socket, it's the Rail Baron version -

-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:00:15 PM »
Kato S-2's are not DCC-Ready - nothing special in the tender.

-Mark

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
If I am not mistaken. Roger is using the GS-4, which is the 2001 version, and should be DCC Ready. If the cards are played right, he can dial down the top speed by setting the decoders CV for top voltage. For the slow speed, he can set BEMF options (decoder dependent). Then for whiz-bang he can set the acceleration to get the creep which he desires.

The S.

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
It's not a GS-4 if it says "Kato" on it.

-Mark