Author Topic: Trainworx's 40' trailers, the CGW and other intermodal stuff.  (Read 2540 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +517
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Trainworx's 40' trailers, the CGW and other intermodal stuff.
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
A week ago or so I contacted Trainworx about their new 40' corrugated trailers.  Among other things, I  inquired about a possible run of CGW reefer vans.  He said he would be interested as long as it wasn't a problem that the trailers would be exact prototype.  He sent me a sample of the trailer and has said it was okay to post information here.

First of all, let me say what a great kit this is and how much fun it was to build (and modify).  It really drove home how sad the current state of the hobby is (for me) that we can't have things like this available.  I don't know if Trainworx has plan to release a kit, but it never hurts to show your interest.

Sorry for no exploded shot, I can do that at some point if people want.

A few things about the trailer:

- The wheels are positionable*
 - The reefer unit and the fuel tank can swap positions.*
 - There are two type of wheels/rims.
 - There looks to be a side door version (I got a door).
 - There is an 'up' landing gear.

*I was told by Pat at TW that these won't be glued, but don't hold me to it.

I set up the first photo to get a close to a CGW version as I could.  I would have to say that if decorated correctly, I would have no problem using these until something else came along (if that would ever happened).

One of the nice things about the way this was made, is the a modeler could adjust things if they really wanted.

I moved the tank back and moved the reefer unit up and towards the edge.  I also moved the wheels one position past the last spot.  I have  a couple sets of decals from a long time back and I'm going to decorate this model and send the pics back to Pat and also try and generate interest on the Yahoo CGW group.

What I'm looking for from the group, is whether or not something like this is 'close enough' to warrent TW to make a run of these (or you own home road).  This isn't just for CGW fans, I'd also like to hear from others regarding how close a trailer needs to be to be to viable.

And before you East Coast guys check out, where do you think your meat came from?

Anyone who models the 60's should be in for two.  :)

Thanks again to Pat at Trainworx.  Hopefully people will buy enough to warrant many more versions. Hopefully I can have something finished for SNFF.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Trainworx's 40' trailers, the CGW and other intermodal stuff.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
Great to know that the side-door variation will be available as well.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
    • Modutrak
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
Looks great, I see some handy detail parts here, Fuel tank, fridge unit, side doors, would be awesome if these were available in a "scratchbuilders" special!
Rick

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
Here's an exploded view.

Ignore the wheels and axles.  I wasn't sent the inner wheels or axles so I fabricated them.  Also remember that I added a few holes (and cut into one rib) to the floor that won't be there in production.

Great to know that the side-door variation will be available as well.

Please note that I have no knowledge that a side door will be done, only evidence that it could be.

Jason

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
Wow! Great looking trailer! Will make nice stand-ins for CN 40' trailers (not exactly accurate, but nice non the less).
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »
Even in the modern era, you see trailers like this parked around the back at farms, cold storage buildings and old factories.  It's also common to see older trailers on the road, usually restenciled for pallet delivery services and other low value operations...

How cool it is that the n-scale vehicle fleet is expanding...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:05:25 PM by ljudice »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +141
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »
I for one am interested in a kit. I am interested in quantities of that kit too.

Jason, did you spy this image:

Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
I for one am interested in a kit. I am interested in quantities of that kit too.

If you want a couple hundred, I bet you could work something out.  :)  I don't know if kits are in the works or not and frankly I'm worn out asking for them in general.  I had asked about getting everything but the body with the idea that I was going to RP a correct trailer and that's how we got on the subject of doing them RTR.  The biggest drawback of course is the six numbers.  I need at least 12 and probably up to 18 and will have to accept duplicates for now.  I think everyone knows that doing them without numbers is a fail.  Right now this is all about trying to create a really good stand-in trailer and seeing how people feel about it.

Jason, did you spy this image:

I think that's out of the 'Safety News' newsletter.

I've got lot's of shot of the 5040XX series.  It 's the 5042XX series I could use more photos of.  It does however continue to confirm that the alignment of the lettering was not consistent as well as the letters themselves.

Jason

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +95
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »
Please note that I have no knowledge that a side door will be done, only evidence that it could be.
Jason

Jason,

The tooling for the side door is done, and Pat is looking into the possibility of having the side of the trailer milled to make an opening for the side door.  The cost of the milling will determine if it shows up on a production model or not.

Pat also told me that if there is enough interest, the "detail" parts can be made available as separate items.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 12:15:16 AM »
Jason,

The tooling for the side door is done, and Pat is looking into the possibility of having the side of the trailer milled to make an opening for the side door.  The cost of the milling will determine if it shows up on a production model or not.

Pat also told me that if there is enough interest, the "detail" parts can be made available as separate items.

Carter

Cool.  That totally jives.  Thanks Carter.

Jason

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:34:09 AM »
Jason,

Thanks for posting this info. It looks like a really nice model. I really hope that this is offered as a kit with the side door. As far as I know there aren't any N scale trailers with a side door, but these seem like they were very common especially for use in cities for deliveries at places without end loading docks. I can't find the photos right now, but I think that Schlitz had a fair number of side door trailers like the one shown. At the very least, the side door model distinguishes the Trainworx model from all the rest (for those looking for variety).

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 03:10:42 AM »
A couple progress shots and I have to go to bed.

If you can't tell, I've never painted wheels before.  :oops:  I forgot I was going to use the same color as the underframe, but I had already thinned it.  I'll see how bad they look when it's all done. If I had to do a lot of them I'd put time into a mask.

I think the paint specs call out for amber and red for the lights so I'll have to hand paint those and then hopefully my 15 year old decal will hold together.

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +133
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »
I think that's out of the 'Safety News' newsletter.

I've got lot's of shot of the 5040XX series.  It 's the 5042XX series I could use more photos of.  It does however continue to confirm that the alignment of the lettering was not consistent as well as the letters themselves.

Jason

Ah, good project, Jason.  I helped S&R Models with their special run of CGW trailers years ago.  Those were simply Atlas 40' trailers, and the shadow lining I suggested didn't make the cut.  This will be a workable solution, and much closer.

There were two versions of lettering, a "skinny" and a "fat".  You reference a 15 year old decal set.  That sounds older than the C&NWHS sets that Oddballs printed?  C&NWHS included both versions of the lettering. 
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »
I'd be in for a few of these if they make it to market!

The S.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
I am also very interested in a number of these as stand in's for numerous differnt trailers of the era I model. As for the side door the only one I've seen like it is the special run that Tim Horton and his happy band of PGE types (I being one of them) commisioned several years ago.

So, if there was a side door option that would most certainly sweeten the pot for me. Either way I'm in for a few.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!