Author Topic: MTL Heavyweight Observation car Review  (Read 2342 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
MTL Heavyweight Observation car Review
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:08:04 AM »
 :D      I recieved my two MTL Obs cars today. They are a 9.9 on a one  to ten scale. Very nicely done,but with one minor complaint. The car features one of the finest looking rear railings I have ever seen on a N Scale car either Brass or Plastic,(is it etched?) .Here then is my complaint. Most,but not all end platform railings were brass. Rivarossi on many of their obs cars plated (chromed) the plastic railing gold color. I have seen photos of some prototype cars where the railing support pieces are black or pullman green and the rest of the railing parts brass. I have also looked at photos of some cars with solid painted railings,black I believe. MTL has colored their railings to match the cars,pullman green on one car and Pennsylvania Tuscan on the other car. I believe black or brass (gold color) would be correct. "Pickey,Pickey", I know. Also how about some canvas awnings to hang below the end roof,a sheet of them on die cut cardstock(thin) that could be folded and glued in place would be nice. Nuff said.An otherwise very nice model. Thanks Joe and MTL.                                          Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

VGN50

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: MTL Heavyweight Observation car Review
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:59:52 AM »
Thanks for the report, Nate.

I dunno, lack of "brass" rail and an awning sounds like 9.95 to me.

Pickey, Pickey

Mark

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +89
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:48:49 AM »
I just got mine yesterday.  It is wild, the detail on the platform end is so fine when compared to CC/Riv that it almost doesn't look right to me when I know it actually looks much better.  I found the rear end glass to be interesting as the handfull of proto obs cars I have seen in person did not have that much glass on the rear end.  I am very happy with it and looking for additional road names to be released.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Shipsure

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
Figuring what color is appropriate for the end railings has been a challenge on some of the cars.  Your right, brass construction and for a time they would have been bare...but later they were painted both the car color and black...again depending on railroad.   I wanted to do the awnings, but my stitching these days is not as good as it used to be  ;D

I put in a request that we run some railing in a brass color and offer them as a replacement part...will keep you posted.  If you want black Nate, contact me and I can scratch up a few for you I think.

Cheers

Joe
MTL

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »

I put in a request that we run some railing in a brass color and offer them as a replacement part...will keep you posted. 

Best Quote Ever

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
Can't wait until they migrate north.....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 01:55:21 AM »
 :D        Joe, Thanks for the offer to make a few Black railings,but Brass is what I really had in mind so keep us posted if some bress colored ones are manufactured. Nate Goodman (Nato).

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »
 :) I am delighted with the car; I asked the LHS to hold two of the Pullman cars for me.  Obviously someone else also found the car of interest and purchased one before I arrived.  Second one due 15 August 2011.

I have never ridden in a heavy weight observation car, thus my views of the interior configuration are based on light weight observation cars and the Rivarrossi n-scale model.   I was not able to find the floor plan for the 3-2 car, so did not know what to expect.  I thought the floor plan would be more open versus compartments.   I would like to see a part available for the floor/seats with no partitions.

I used the Easy Peasy lights in mine.   Eagerly awaiting the second one I requested.
Also looking forward to the "winter release" of the coach.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:23:01 PM by rogergperkins »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1985
    • Conrail 1285

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:18 AM »
This site should show you the interior arrangement:

http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=/nby_pullman

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »
At one time Lazer Horizons had sides for ALL of the CR cars (including the ex-N&W and ex-SOU cars).  They are not listed on the current page at Pro Custom Hobbies but contacting the shop could yield a new run of sides.  Would be ideal to use on the MT observation car (not sure of measurements) and they are not all that difficult to actually paint and assemble.  And, yes, LH has done CR 10!!!

Oops... forgot the link:
http://www.procustomhobbies.com/catpages/LAH.shtml
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:00:37 PM by jmlaboda »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »
I would buy one in UP but the Passenger car index of Jerrys not working , so I couldn't quote a car name .

David Leonard

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »
Richie, try this: http://passcarphotos.info/  I think maybe that Jerry forgot to update his signature.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +193
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
Joe-- A PRR buddy just bought the new obs and asked me what the large oval "loops" are on the end of each truck sideframe.  I had no answer for him but said I would ask this august (not the month) body.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +89
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »
I have seen several train shows on some network called RFD on Direct TV and there seems to be quite a few obs cars that have brass horizontal rails and either black or green veritcal rails/posts.  Some of these were color excursion runs and some where "in the day" color clips.  So it looks like there may be quite a bit of variation.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr