Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/24/11  (Read 13323 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5404
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »
0
What railroad is this loco on now?  That's an old Arizona & California unit, that then spent time on the California Northern.

My weekend was spent bailing out my parent's basement.  9 inches of water, after the sump couldn't keep up.  As far as I can tell right now, I only lost some HO boxes (not the contents), one structure, and I as I don't have DCC at home, I can't tell if my N scale stuff is operable (it was on the floor).  I will say that Kato jewel cases are great, as their almost airtight.  It's the Atlas stuff I'm worried about.  At least my motive power was at the top of the box, and the rolling stock towards the bottom.

Psshh... 9".  I got 3'.  The Pokie is no more. 

Friday night I moved the entire layout from my garage to the basement after finishing the epoxy floors and primered walls over the past month.  4 hours later it was floating.  And I was moving it back out to the driveway.

Timing is everything.  Largest storm in Chicago's recorded history.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
0
Occasionally I dream of having a basement, then things happen where I'm perfectly content to be in an attic.  I just pray there aren't any tornadoes about...  Sorry about the mess, Mike.  Hopefully the prep work you did on the floor and walls will help keep the restoration effort simple.  Was the flood from leaky walls, rising ground water, or a swollen stream?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

RockGp40

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1067
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +344
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
0


What railroad is this loco on now?  That's an old Arizona & California unit, that then spent time on the California Northern.

Its on the Iowa Railroad. It a shortline with an endcab unit as its only other power. I think I have a picture of both of them.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
0
finished wiring Grand Junction...  hooked em up to the DS64 after a factory reset was needed (on the 64, not me)  ;D.  Ran trains (i.e. no short circuits).

Also, put in some more manual sliders for turnouts (Gosh, does it never end?)

Also, had a couple buddies over for some track work (Scale track now installed in Yard) and some scenry fun (people, we need more people!!!).  It is always fun to chat with friends when pittering about.

Also did some car card updating for the new Shifter we are bring online.  This season's OP's session will include Class trains, a Tower position and a timetable/fastclock.  Things should get real interesting and it could drive me nuts.

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
0

What railroad is this loco on now?  That's an old Arizona & California unit, that then spent time on the California Northern.




Yeah, I guess it's the Iowa RR.  I had to look it up when I got home.  For reference, I took the shot just off Hwy 20.  I had to drive four miles before I could turn around to get back to it.  :P

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cleves,+ia&hl=en&ll=42.458183,-93.057611&spn=0.006752,0.016512&sll=38.833882,-104.821363&sspn=0.866488,1.029968&t=h&z=17

I'm told the hopper car is a buffer from the ethanol tanks.  The second loco I posted was working the plant. 


Jason

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »
0
Started ballasting track on the BYR, and working out the super-elevation issue with the Super-Berk.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 12:40:30 PM »
0
Psshh... 9".  I got 3'.  The Pokie is no more. 

Friday night I moved the entire layout from my garage to the basement after finishing the epoxy floors and primered walls over the past month.  4 hours later it was floating.  And I was moving it back out to the driveway.

Timing is everything.  Largest storm in Chicago's recorded history.

That's sucks Mike . The worst PIA troubles to do with a house , at least from my prospective , have some water connection .

Water not leaving .
Water not coming .
Water not heating enough .
Water bill too high .
Water infiltration .
Water drip .
Water damage .


Richie Dost

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »
0
Psshh... 9".  I got 3'.  The Pokie is no more. 

Friday night I moved the entire layout from my garage to the basement after finishing the epoxy floors and primered walls over the past month.  4 hours later it was floating.  And I was moving it back out to the driveway.

Timing is everything.  Largest storm in Chicago's recorded history.

Mike: I am so sorry; I lost the original Puddington Valley in a huge flood that damn near swept Peterborough, Ontario to Montreal... 185 mm of rain in 13 hours..... after 12 days of continuous rain..... My layout died as a result of water killing the supports AND the need to put "useless" household items like furnature, beds and the like on top of the layout.....

Out of this came the Samuel Ridge Sub so you can recover......but it damn well sucks at the time....

Hang tough man !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Ken G Price

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
0

Yeah, I guess it's the Iowa RR.  I had to look it up when I got home.  For reference, I took the shot just off Hwy 20.  I had to drive four miles before I could turn around to get back to it.  :P
I'm told the hopper car is a buffer from the ethanol tanks.  The second loco I posted was working the plant. 

Jason

Jason, When that engine was with the California Northern it would have gone over Hwy20 near Williams here in California.

davidgray1974

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 304
  • Gender: Male
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 07:04:23 PM »
0
Finished painting my kitbashed grain elevators this weekend.  Here are the pictures of the before from last week and the current pics.  It turned out way better than I had hoped.






Will hopefully start weathering this week.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:06:34 PM by davidgray1974 »

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
0
That's a fine kitbash; nicely executed.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »
0
Nice .. but how do the trucks get into the loading area?

davidgray1974

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 304
  • Gender: Male
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
0
Nice .. but how do the trucks get into the loading area?
Haven't added the ramps yet.  Will probably do that as a final step once I make the scenery base.

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 09:20:16 PM »
0
Haven't added the ramps yet.  Will probably do that as a final step once I make the scenery base.

Very very nice , well done .


Richie Dost

dnhouston

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 669
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +831
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
Re: Weekend Update 7/24/11
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »
0
Nice kitbash  ;D