Author Topic: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011  (Read 3956 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2653
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1024
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
0
I now own 4 N scale freight cars. Thats my first.

Russ

Oh yeah, and 3' of track.

It's a start! now get yourself a Spectrum 2-8-0 and you are in buisness!
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
0
My first steam project...



My first diesel project...



My problem is I set the bar to high to start with, now it is hard to get anything finished, I keep working on projects to the point that I set it aside and start something new because I don't think they measures up.
Tony Hines

Erik W

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1019
  • Respect: +796
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 04:18:54 PM »
0
Hmm.  My first big project was benchwork, but I didn't take any photos.  I wish I had.  The first modeling project for my layout was building the east portal of the Moffat Tunnel from scale plans I found at the Colorado Railroad museum in Golden, CO.  It isn't as deep as the prototype and leads into a curve where the real one doesn't, but from the front it is correct dimension wise.







Erik

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 04:40:09 PM »
0
Skipgear, do you have a parts list for that SD45?

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 05:02:36 PM »
0
Skipgear, do you have a parts list for that SD45?

Start with a Bachmann SD45, a dremel and some files. Cut an extra door out of a spare shell to replace the rear mounted brake, cast a copy of an Atlas SD shell with a ratchet brake for the front, add GMM Stanchions, a Kato SD fuel tank and BLMA fans. Everything else is scratch built.



Forgot, grind about .05" off of the frame sill  and replaced lost material with PB stips to lower the body on the frame...



Tony Hines

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 06:21:28 PM »
0
When I was 13,I had just purchased Conrail 1986-1991. One of the engines reviewed in the book was  a chop nosed GP10 Conrail had IC rebuilt. It had some resemblance to the just released Life-Like GP18 so I purchased one, some decals, paint and a GMM etched detail kit. The result was just awful. The fans and radiators were not true,the paint was brushed on and thick, decals were mis-aligned  and the weathering was horrible. When I shelved model trains in high school, I just tossed the model. I would end up building the same exact engine a few years ago using a LL Canada GP9 Shell with an Atlas SD26 cab and spliced GP18 walkway.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind