Author Topic: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011  (Read 3955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2653
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1024
N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
0
Hey everyone! it is that time again! I find myself with limited internet time today, Our travels bring us to Iceland this week, and we only have a hour of internet access.

Simple question this week, what was your First N scale Major project? It could be your first layout, first scratchbuild, first anything. If you consiter the "First" in your book, then it is.

My first scratchbuilding project was the Climax. I have done some other kit bashing projects before that, and I had started a few layouts, but nothing I would consiter a true "Major Project"

Man have I came a long ways!!
From this:

To this:

Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
0
Body plants with 1015's . :(


Richie Dost

Zox

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
0
I'd have to say my first major project was the roundhouse for my loop module:





Technically, it's still a work in progress; there's a lot of detail yet to be added, but other things keep inserting themselves in front of it on the to-do list. :)
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
0
First proper attempt at painting a loco was the GP40-2 that's in the header images.

First scratchbuild/conversion was my brake sled.

(All my images are offline at the moment)

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
0
Oh boy.  While there's (mercifully) no photographic evidence existing, back in the early 80's I endeavored to bash the predominant locomotive in my life at that time, a Conrail SD-40-2.  I used a couple of Mehano shells, a Trix U30 drive and a half a pound of Squadron Green.  The sideframes were the stock Trix, and the pilots were open and the couplers were rapido...  But the paint was the right color, there were enough fans on the roof, and the decal job was nominally straight.

It was my pride and joy for a couple of years, and looked at least as good as the PC SD45 I painted to go with it.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
0
Re-motoring Atlas GP9/30s with 5 pole motors.    And somewhere in there was a chop-nose Geep that never made it to paint.  Some things never change.  :-[

Jason

conrailthomas519

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 343
  • Gender: Male
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +13
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »
0
My first project is PRR old Huntingdon Station. I am currently working with the Walther's buildup kits as the basic structure. I have laid out each wall panel and modified the windows so far. I have planned this to be a close resemblance model rather than a 100% accurate show piece.
TMM

mark dance

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1280
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
0
The 7 turn, double-tracked helix.  6 years ago it marked the start of construction of the C&W, my first significant layout.  In the end two turns of the helix are used for the mainline run and the balance just used for continuous run and to restage the layout...thankfully.  That is one long run up and down the helix...



md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4524
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »
0
My first major project was the first run of GHQ Milw Road F7 Hiawatha engines.  Got me into modeling the Milwaukee Road.  Put it together in college (back in 1996) and still have it.  Originally built it on a con-cor hudson but changed it out with a kato one a few years later.  Finally got DCC installed a couple of years ago.  It still runs like a champ and pulls a ton because of the pewter boiler.  Only thing that I'd like to re-do on it is the decal work on the tender.  Needs a new application of "The Milwaukee Road."  Other than that, it's still in pretty good shape.

Nate
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »
0
For me it would the two BC Rail SD-40-2 modifications that I completed two summers ago.   I started with Kato snoot nosed units, performed several shell modifications, added some Canadian specific detail parts, then painted and finished with Microscale decals.   Highly enjoyable project that produced two locomotives that are not available in ready-to-run.

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:38 PM »
0
my FIRST was a Bachmann F9B in the 1980's, I took 2 F9A bodies and spliced them together, complete with TWO steam generators. This is long gone, and thankfully, no photos.

My firstin a long time was a Kato U30C. The So Pac prototype had a L Cab, but who makes a GE L Cab in N? I can live with that compromise. Next two locos will be a U25B and a GP35R, I still need to find a GE nose light.


Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
0
Simple question this week, what was your First N scale Major project?
-----------------------------
Painting and decaling my old CD&B cars and locomotives..You see prior to that I was use to painting and decaling HO locomotives and cars.

The surprising part is I found there wasn't much difference in the two scales when it came to painting and decaling.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:34 PM »
0
I built my first serious N scale layout around 1975, while still in high school.  It was a rendition of John Armstrong's Cajon Pass plan from 101 Great Track Plans.  Like many layouts, it got to the point of scenery and then withered...  but that was mainly due to having to go to college.  It was just as well though, since the locos ran like crap back then.

However, the real accomplishment of that project was the design and construction of a ~7x14' out-building in my folks back yard to house the layout.  It included authentic board & batten siding.  That was a fun project; alas, I have no photos to back it up.

-gfh

rswinnerton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1313
  • Gender: Male
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: N scale Question of the Week! 13 July 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »
0
I now own 4 N scale freight cars. Thats my first.

Russ

Oh yeah, and 3' of track.
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com