Author Topic: ModelRailroader on DVD  (Read 2674 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
ModelRailroader on DVD
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
0
Just saw that Kalmbach has put up Pre-Ordering for 75 years of ModelRailroader on DVD:

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/15120.html

Might clean out a few peoples' basements,

Phil
- Phil

tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
0
Awesome.  I've been waiting for this for years.

Does anyone have the Trains collection?  Is the content viewable on an iPad (PDF)?

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
0
That's my question too. Would love to know if it's setup like the N Scale Mag CDs of PDFs or not,

Phil
- Phil

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5307
  • Respect: +2619
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »
0
That is awesome!  $200 is a bit pricey though.  Not sure I can justify that.

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
0
I put in my pre-order...

This is great news!  It'll not only make searching for articles easier, but I can get rid of what issues I have left in storage. 

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
0
Awesome.  I've been waiting for this for years.

Does anyone have the Trains collection?  Is the content viewable on an iPad (PDF)?

I bought the Trains version for my Dad as a Christmas present.  He loves it.  You can simply search one term, and anytime that term is mentioned in any article it pulls it up.  He spent a week reading about the Hiawatha.   ;D

I believe they're all PDF format, but I'm not sure, as he hasn't let me play with it yet.
~ Matt

Modutrak.com

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
0
I bought the Trains version for my Dad as a Christmas present.  He loves it.  You can simply search one term, and anytime that term is mentioned in any article it pulls it up.  He spent a week reading about the Hiawatha.   ;D

I believe they're all PDF format, but I'm not sure, as he hasn't let me play with it yet.

You mean you didn't install it locally to make sure everything worked? :)

Phil
- Phil

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »
0
Awesome.  I've been waiting for this for years.

Does anyone have the Trains collection?  Is the content viewable on an iPad (PDF)?

According to the web site:
http://www.kalmbachstore.com/15100.html
*The Trains Complete Collection will not run on tablet computers, media players, e-readers or smart phones.

The same disclaimer applies to the Model Railroader DVD. How on earth do they expect us to be able to take this into "the reading room"!

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
0
You mean you didn't install it locally to make sure everything worked? :)

Phil

It showed up about six weeks after Christmas (pre-ordered in October).  I was shocked at it's arrival, I plum forgot!   ::)
~ Matt

Modutrak.com

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
0
I wish it was segmented more on different DVD's. I would buy 1934-1970 for $49.99  :)

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
0
Hmmm, maybe Carstens will follow with RMC? BTW, Kalmbach also has Classic Trains 2000-2009 on DVD.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:45:31 PM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »
0
Hmmm, maybe Carstens will follow with RMC?

I'd leap all over that one too.  I dumped my RMC collection last summer.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
0
I believe they're all PDF format, but I'm not sure, as he hasn't let me play with it yet.

The Trains advert on the Kalmbach site states you need Adobe Shockwave Player. I'm still catching up with electronic print format publishing so I'm not quite sure of the implications of that requirement. I know I would want to be able to print an article out if need be (same as being able to photocopy a hardcopy) and to enlarge photos (same as being able to use a magnifying glass) to get to the nitty gritty. Can anyone confirm whether Shockwave Player would allow these?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »
0
Good question Bryan. I sent an email to Customer Service asking this question. In reading the reviews of the Trains DVD, one person mentioned the ability to print. Some didn't like the search feature. Maybe it will be improved?

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: ModelRailroader on DVD
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
0
Who's burning me a copy.   :P