Author Topic: Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 90's  (Read 2028 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 90's
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »
0
The recent post by Joe at MTL brought to mind something I've been wanting to do for a while now.  The MFCL freight car group on Yahoo did a survey several years ago about which freight cars were most needed/wanted.  Now, this is a mostly HO group so it won't map exactly but I thought this would be a good place to start for building a similar list in N.  Obviously some of these cars already exist in N or are on the way.  Anyway...DISCUSS!

NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Nato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
Re: Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 90's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
0
       Hey the 1890's. My favorate era. There were alot of freight cars out there then,but I vote for SP Specific 36' wood truss rod box cars or same era stock cars. Allright get your f***en brain in gear. The 1990's you say. Any modern Hi cube Exterior post box cars not like Atlas or Exact Rail,maybe also Waffel Side cars. Nate Goodman (Nato).

James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 90's
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:35:27 AM »
0
As per my post in the MTL thread, the last boxcars purchased new by the SP:
http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/spcars/byclass/box/b100-50.htm
Gunderson 5997 cuft, built 1996.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Day One

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 182
  • Respect: +13
Re: Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 90's
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 06:41:40 AM »
0
I'd love to see these made. I'd be in for at least 30 myself.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1207516

CONX 30,036 Gallon Tank car as used by Montan Rail Link in their gas train as seen here http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1337734


Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 90's
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
0
That photo of the MRL gas train is greatness!  I would like to find out more about those cars for sure.

James, is that model available in HO?   Curious why it wouldn't be on their list....SP guys are usually well represented on freight car boards.

So there's two to add, and we should  probably figure out which ones to remove.  From a quick scan:
Atlas 2743
BLMA TopGon
Atlas NSC Coil Car*
Atlas BTTX Articulated Trilevel Thrall Autorack
Athearn/Intermountain* ARMN Cars
BLMA 53ft Trinity Spine Cars*
Athearn Maxi COFC-TOFC 3-unit
Kato Maxi-Stack IV
Walthers Thrall COFC/TOFC 48ft Single & 3-Unit

Now, it gets somewhat tricky in that there are very specific (manufacturer specific) cars, whereby a similar model may exist in N.  So for example, the list includes the 53ft Trinity Spines, which happen to be the model BLMA is making.  But if it had been another manufacturer of a 53ft spine, would that hold water?  I say no, although the availability of a close substitute might move that down on the point scale as far as popularity.

Another example is the specific class of TopGon's...I didn't take the time to research, but I seem to recall that Craig and Robb both said they would be doing multiple classes so I would assume this would fall in there, if not already.

We may also face the prospect of applying foobies to the list.  So what prototype is the 50ft LBF boxcar?  Gunderson?  The Exactrail is a Trinity, but do either of these equate to the 6269 highcube on the list?  (I haven't really looked to see, just kinda using this as an example...they may not even be close)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 90's
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:25:14 PM »
0
The TankTrain tankcars wouldnbe nice. I dunno how many other places ran them but Conrail rain an train along the branch to Albany, NY from CP SK.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1