Author Topic: Bodymounting couplers on Atlas Coalveyors?  (Read 680 times)

Ken Ford

Bodymounting couplers on Atlas Coalveyors?
« on: April 30, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
Has anyone had success bodymounting couplers on their Atlas Coalveyors? How did you do it, and are you happy with the results?

A bunch of 100T BLMA trucks arrived today, the first of these I've ever seen.  Wow!  Very nice trucks, and great looking wheelsets!  They do a nice job of lowering the Coalveyor with no underbody interference:

Now, what couplers?  I haven't worked in N for many years, and the slinky effect of my old Kadee cars always drove me nuts.  I seem to faintly recall bodymounting on a few cars using what I think were their 1021 couplers, they fit right on the cast Kadee underframes (it's still hard for me to think of them as Micro-Trains!).  IIRC the 1021s didn't slinky due to the different shank and spring design; I think that the 1015 is the same due to the spring not being under compression when pulling.

My mounting height is pretty close but will require some work:

Per my MT-1055 gauge, the new UF height is about 0.235" too low for the standard 1015 mounting height of 0.279".  (I'm pretty sure the MT-1055 shelf is set at 0.275" for the 1023.)  I figure I can approach this one of two ways: either shim the truck bolsters back up (which I'd prefer not to do) or find a different coupler to use.  I was thinking the 2001, but I don't think there would be enough clearance between the axle and the bottom of the draft gear.

Any suggestions on a non-slinky MT coupler that would work here?  I'd actually prefer to use Accumates, but the lack of draft gear is making that a difficult project.

stuntman

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Bodymounting couplers on Atlas Coalveyors?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:21:22 PM »
 Ken,

If you check this thread   http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,21980.0.html    Maybe you can apply some of Gary's techniques to those.    Craig from BLMA really needs to produce a new closer to scale body mount coupler with box........ ;)

Ken Ford

Re: Bodymounting couplers on Atlas Coalveyors?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »
Good reading - thanks!  I may give the brass section idea a try...