0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
I worry about operators getting bored and cranking the throttle to speed the process on a 4 or 5 turn helix. ;D
Um... 20 double-track plus 9 triple-track is 29...
Too many revolutions led to mathematical challenge brought on by dizziness.
Building it is only 25% of the fun. Then there is the maintenance.................. Sometimes too much is just too much.
From the sounds of things, on this layout the trains are hidden more than they're visible.
It's been my position for a long time that helixes are a waste of space, hard to maintain, and require too much of a grade.I'd much rather run my climbing track against the walls, the so-called nolix. Most helix designs have been in fairly large rooms. This, to me, means that there is enough space to gain height from deck to deck by running along the wall. I hide my climbing runs in plain view--a grade along the wall--with as few tunnels as I can get away with.