Author Topic: Detail Parts Wish List  (Read 14659 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Detail Parts Wish List
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »
I'll add to my freight car list, which I believe are sorely missing... I'd like to see someone pick-up where other manufacturers forget to keep going and, as locos are released, consistently offer etched detail kits for them for the details they lack or are lacking. I'd love to see etched screens, etc. for the Life Like SWs, RSs, and all of the line as they're re-released (Cs, FAs...); see through fans for Atlas GP7/9 (and new screen etchings, the GMM are a bit over-sized) and see-through fans for IM and Kato F units, etc.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »
Hmmm.  I'd have to say that structure details would be something I'd be after, ranging from porch post turnings and railing systems (haven't seen anything but Campbell in that department, and I don't even know if they're still around.)  Also the potential is good for doing a reasonable volume of business, since modelers typically want structures on their layouts, and most people understand more about detailing a house than a locomotive...

For rolling stock, I'd of course, like to see some WM specific goodies, like RS 3 stack extensions, Phase 2 or 3 carbody sides with updated vents cut in, and the big wire grate winterization screens over the big fans (also good for the FA-2 fleet)

If you'd like, we could discuss moving the production of the WM Geep cab face and all weather steam cabs over to you as well.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »
I would like to see details for homes and businesses...
Things like gas meters, awnings, electric boxes and outside light fixtures (that won't be powered).

The suggestion for various city/home details is also a good one: (Detail Associates does make some of this already though)

Mail boxes
Trash Cans
Electric/Gas Meters
Electric line Weather heads
Fire hydrants

I like the street/ house detail ideas. Gas meters, electrical drops & meter housings, dog houses, etc.

Deluxe Innovations offers the gas/water meter and electrical box as plastic detail parts.

http://www.deluxeinnovations.com/products/ArmcoDetails.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:35:34 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
Detail Parts:
B&O style plows (curved rock kicker type)
Etched handrail/grabs kit for LL/Walthers NE Caboose
Nathan M5 horns (on par with BLMA horns)
FA/RS fan winterization grates/walkways

Wheels/Tires for various trucks/autos (upgrades to CMW vehicles and various resin cast types).

The S.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
If a two or three piece functioning ground throw could be designed that snaps together and  would be more to scale, you've built the better mousetrap and the sound you hear will be the (N) world beating a path to your door.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »
If a two or three piece functioning ground throw could be designed that snaps together and  would be more to scale, you've built the better mousetrap and the sound you hear will be the (N) world beating a path to your door.

+1
Especially if it has wire "backsaver" handles for it.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »
Telephone pole transformers.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 02:16:54 PM »
Telephone pole transformers.

Heck with that, how about some nice lineside poles like Rix makes in HO with the typical US number of insulators per crossarm.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »
The boxcar doors alone could keep one busy with the sizes, styles and iterations that abound.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
I would make stuff you need - and a few extras to see how they sell :) ..

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »
N scale eaves.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »

Wow!

Great suggestion!

I'd take 100 of 'em.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
If a two or three piece functioning ground throw could be designed that snaps together and  would be more to scale, you've built the better mousetrap and the sound you hear will be the (N) world beating a path to your door.
Wow!

Great suggestion!

I'd take 100 of 'em.

Although I already have a number of major products in the works, it was worth starting this thread just to get feedback like this for additional product ideas.

I'd like to explore this particular idea in more depth. Please contribute your expectations on such a product or range of related products.

As they used to say in the ad business, time for some blue sky ideas--in other words, assume anything (within reason) was doable.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:29:19 PM by David K. Smith »

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
Wow!

Great suggestion!

I'd take 100 of 'em.

Although I already have a number of major products in the works, it was worth starting this thread just to get feedback like this for additional product ideas.

I'd like to explore this particular idea in more depth. Please contribute your expectations on such a product or range of related products.

As they used to say in the ad business, time for some blue sky ideas--in other words, assume anything (within reason) was doable.

I'm looking for something for a throw that can operate an Atlas code 55 switch, that is smaller than what is currently available.  It does not have to power the frog.  The overall design/shape of it doesn't matter much to me.  It just needs to be smaller.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:32:29 PM by MichaelWinicki »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »
Regarding switch throws. Perhaps there are two user groups here. 1) Those that want the throw to control the switch, but look better than the Caboose Industries product. 2) Those who will control the switch through some other means, and want a scale sized throw. I am in the second group, mainly due to layout height. For me, I would love to see a variety of switch target types, including the always classy, red and white chevron ;),  target heights (from mainline to yard) and a reasonable price (a couple of $s each). Perhaps a scale sized throw could be used to control the switch by moving the actual throw towards and away from the switch (like the earring back design), which would eliminate the need for moving parts.

As for other detail parts, given your abilities to produce microscopic items, I might suggest N scale #2 pencils, bottle caps, and fruit flies!

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:49:24 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.