Author Topic: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...  (Read 6937 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hyperion

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 992
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +19
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
0
You've gotta give Kato credit for one thing at least:

A brand-new tooled Loco and a set of three brand-new tooled big passenger cars runs about the same price as an old-tooling Atlas loco and just a single freight car.

$180 MSRP for a loco and 3 passenger cars is a great price.  Not that I have much of any use for them, nor could I even 'make up' any good use for them.
-Mark

AlkemScaleModels

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1185
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +40
    • Alkem Scale Models
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
0
Gets my vote for the UGLIEST Loco out there.


Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11611
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
0
Gets my vote for the UGLIEST Loco out there.



I still maintain they look like giant dildos.

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 05:28:44 PM »
0
I still maintain they look like giant dildos.

I'll have to take your word on that Ed.  :o
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


nscalesteve

  • Guest
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »
0
I still maintain they look like giant dildos.

...or like the marvelous THROMMER ! (you know, The Grey One)   ;D

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »
0
I kinda like the sleek lines of the loco. Kato has it in their newsletter out today.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »
0
Gets my vote for the UGLIEST Loco out there.



Nah, that would be the GE Genesis. Those took about the same amount of industrial design creativity to think up as a wood block. The MPs are reminiscent of the ole' F units, IMO.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 12:07:57 AM »
0
I still maintain they look like giant dildos.

......that hit one hell of a large pelvic bone and kinda "smooshed" in one side................. :o

Yep; they be ugly...........says the guy who thinks the SD 9 was the height of locomotive style, closely followed by the C Liner............... :-\
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Nato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 02:34:43 AM »
0
      No the uglyest locomotive after the GE P42 is the F59 PH modeled by Athearn. I wish Kato would do the MP 36 in Utah Transit Authority "Front Runner" colors to replace Athern's Foob Stand In F59 PH in those colors which were reciently released. Look up Cesar Vargus the industrial designer responsible for the GE P42. A fascinating man with some interesting ideas. Nate Goodman (Nato).

Packer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 742
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »
0
So 7 years after the real ones start production, a company does them. Suprised it'd be kato with their sporadic american releases.

......that hit one hell of a large pelvic bone and kinda "smooshed" in one side................. :o

Yep; they be ugly...........says the guy who thinks the SD 9 was the height of locomotive style, closely followed by the C Liner............... :-\

Nothing wrong with the SD9, it's one of my favorites. (F45 is my fav) I still say the P42s are uglier, but these things aren't far behind.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

csolivais1979

  • Guest
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
0
Gets my vote for the UGLIEST Loco out there.



They look worse in person, speaking of the Metra locos. 

AlkemScaleModels

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1185
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +40
    • Alkem Scale Models
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 09:37:21 PM »
0
Even the snazzy VRE paint job doesn't help these, the first new locos that VRE bought.
http://www.pbase.com/hdralleiii/vre_mp36s

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
0
I think my favorite is the NM Road (Rail) Runner scheme. It's nice to see something other than stripes. Then again, I also like the Amtrak Pokemon car (http://www.hebners.net/Amtrak/amtAMFLT/AMTPokemonb.jpg).
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2653
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1024
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 03:53:29 AM »
0
...or like the marvelous THROMMER ! (you know, The Grey One)   ;D

I thought that WAS a dildo......
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Looks like Walther's leaked the next Kato announcement...
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 09:13:53 AM »
0
All the levity aside; I can't get my head around this announcement. This is a big city communter train; and by "big" I mean massive; impossible to model big.... So; I'm wondering how one uses this consist ? I guess there will be a very small number of modelers out there who might have a pike that represents Chi-town in 2011; maybe some who model an outlying area that this communter service serves but that number is going to be small.

So; can we assume that Kato is aiming this not so much at modelers as collectors ? The colours are "collectorish"; the consist is unique; it's very modern and I believe would meet the general guidelines they have set for their own domestic market releases.

I guess I wonder if this locomotive and car set (and the obvious future releases) are something of a "further shift" in Kato's market stratagy away from supplying "modeler oriented" products (ie: SD 40's, SD 40-2, SD 45, F7, classic named trains....) and more towards collector oriented consists.....?

Just a thought............... :-\
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!