Author Topic: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group  (Read 2882 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
0
This was posted by Joe.  Perhaps we can add some comments to him from here.

 > Doing some advanced research right now and am looking at a good
> candidate for a Coach for our series. Walthers did the single and duel
> window coaches in their HO line. Both are very good subjects. I am
> also looking at some of the Plan 2416's.. C and D (26p - 1d) to add to
> the list. Looking for some input, suggestions etc. Once you get away
> from the 12-1 Sleeper seems the number of cars and associated road
> names tend to taper off real quick. I was looking at P70's, but we
> would need to do a new truck (not a deal breaker, but more
> work)...wonder if the Pennsy folks would stomach that car with the
> wrong truck? :o) MP also had a nice Delux coach that has a lot of
> Generic qualities for near style releases.
> >
> > Any, looking toward the experts here for some wisdom.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Joe
> > MTL
>

David Leonard

  • Guest
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
0
Re the P70's: I would gladly "stomach" incorrect trucks, especially if the bolster holes line up for the American Limited 2D-P5 trucks. The MP P70's have enough errors and bulkiness to them, let alone lack of modernized detail, that I would buy bunches of MTL P70 coaches, if that's what they produce. It would be important that MTL make the A/C equipped versions, however.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
0
My vote goes for a shorter single window coach, suitable for commuter service.  I can't remember if the WM's were 75 or 78', but somewhere in there would suit me.  It would also be a nice bridge between the Bachmann shortie coaches and the 85' cars that have been made since the dawn of time.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:07:41 PM »
0
I concur with Lee; 78' single windows would do for me.....................
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »
0
I concur with Lee;

Of course you do.  By the way, the checque is in the mail... ;)
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12278
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11765
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:46:17 PM »
0
Re the P70's: I would gladly "stomach" incorrect trucks, especially if the bolster holes line up for the American Limited 2D-P5 trucks. The MP P70's have enough errors and bulkiness to them, let alone lack of modernized detail, that I would buy bunches of MTL P70 coaches, if that's what they produce. It would be important that MTL make the A/C equipped versions, however.

I agree 100%.  While I would love a pre-WWII P70 that's more correct than the Lima/MP version (plus simple clearstory and blank endwalls), any incarnation of the myriad of post-war upgrades to the P70 such as AC and modern windows (and single vestibules) would be even more welcome.  However, I do see how a traditional P70 as-built might have more appeal for multiple road name use.

Now someone REALLY needs to pony up a K3, and they'd be printing money.

EDIT:  K4, of course.  Apparently my sausage fingers are too fat to operate an iPhone properly.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:10:36 PM by Dave Vollmer »

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
0
Not having drunk the PRR Koolaid; isn't the P70 a paired window coach ?
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
0
I could actually buy a paired window.

Mike, what's the plan on car #274?

Jason

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
0
I know that Wheels Of Time was going to do a modernized upgrades P70.  I e-mailed them many months ago and it's still on the back burner. 

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
0
Re the P70's: I would gladly "stomach" incorrect trucks, especially if the bolster holes line up for the American Limited 2D-P5 trucks. The MP P70's have enough errors and bulkiness to them, let alone lack of modernized detail, that I would buy bunches of MTL P70 coaches, if that's what they produce. It would be important that MTL make the A/C equipped versions, however.

I agree 100%.  While I would love a pre-WWII P70 that's more correct than the Lima/MP version (plus simple clearstory and blank endwalls), any incarnation of the myriad of post-war upgrades to the P70 such as AC and modern windows (and single vestibules) would be even more welcome.  However, I do see how a traditional P70 as-built might have more appeal for multiple road name use.

Now someone REALLY needs to pony up a K3, and they'd be printing money.

Assuming Dave V meant "K4", I also agree 100%.  I just bought some Model Power coaches along with upgrades that I need to apply, but I would gladly buy RTR P70's, even if I had to swap out the trucks.

Not having drunk the PRR Koolaid; isn't the P70 a paired window coach ?

It is indeed a paired window coach.  And you should try the Koolaid.  It's tasty.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:08:34 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12278
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11765
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:32 PM »
0
Yeah, I meant K4...  Here's the story behind that:

During the day I can't access Railwire from work (DoD network security/policy).  So I use my iPhone.  AT&T coverage doesn't seem to want to reach into my building.  Sometimes I get lucky though.  I managed to post this reply, but then noticed the "K3" error.  Tried to edit while getting a weak signal in the equipment yard, but an operational issue popped up and I never circled back to attempt the correction.

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
0
During the day I can't access Railwire from work (DoD network security/policy).

Fricken' Feds and their security policies...  ;)
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
0
Well; I for one want a single window coach first.................
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »
0
Well; I for one want a single window coach first.................

You're not alone. Joe posted this request on the varnish yahoo group as well.

I just realized there are more than a few SPFs here! ;D

Mark


Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: MTL Posting on PRR N Scale Group
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
0
Things must have changed since I retired.  I used get into Railwire on Navy computers without any problems.  Could post with no problems either.  Only things was some of the photos (including mine) would not show up for some reason.