Author Topic: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side  (Read 5411 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gringo

  • Posts: 14
  • Respect: 0
Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »
0
Funny thing happened to me while I was on vacation in Brasil- I found this website and got bitten by the railroading bug, again!

I've been a lifelong N scaler, but since having moved to the city of Chicago, I've dabbled in On30 and even did an exploratory run into HO scale before stopping completely (new job and whatnot).

While on vacation, I found the Amoskeag Northern, which led me to Ed K, which led me to the Railwire, which led me to Dave Foxx and his Aberdeen & Rockfish, which led me to Dave Smith... etc etc etc

So originally I was going to incorporate DKS's rendition of Dave Foxx's A&R HCD layout for my favorite railroad, the Indiana Harbor Belt, only to discover that somehow, dammit, my spare room shrunk while I was abroad, and the HCD was simply gonna take up too much real estate!

HATE it when that happens!!!

So now I'm approaching another favorite gem of mine, here in Chicago- the Central Illinois Railroad, found on the near Southwest side of Chicago. When I saw the two SW1200 switchers painted in CB&Q and Southern Pacific colors, I was hooked!!!

Unfortunately, however, the CIRY ceased their Chicago operations late last year, but the BNSF took over operations; rather than a SW1200 on the rails you'll see a GP50 or something similar...

Here are 4 YouTube videos; the first 3 were shot by another railfanner, but the one with the BNSF GP50 switching the Concrete Canyon on Cermak and Loomis was shot by myself.

/>
/>
/>
and here's one that I personally shot...

/>
I've got a corner of my spare room that's available; roughly 9' x 4'. I'm going to have to build domino style, as the wife wants to move back to Brasil at the end of the year; portability and small size will be important.

As an airline pilot, I'm gone for 20+ days a month at a time, so work will be sporadic, but I'm looking forward to getting started!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:21:11 PM by gringo »

gringo

  • Posts: 14
  • Respect: 0
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »
0
I've got some images to post, but apparently I don't have the ability to do so...

 ???

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »
0
Gringo,

First off, welcome to the Railwire.  I've made some really good friends here, and there is a ton of talent and a whole lot of humor here, too.  I'm really happy to have been a part of the inspiration that brought you back into the hobby and to build a new layout.  It means a lot to me when someone says that I have somehow positively impacted their model railroading hobby.  Thank you.

As for posting pictures, you need to find a photo sharing site (I use Photobucket) to upload your pictures to.  Then, you will copy your links here, which will make the pictures show.  Hopefully, someone else will chime in with a more thorough explanation, if this isn't helpful.

Dave Foxx

EDIT: Oh, and if a HCD isn't practical, the domino style layout will be great for portability.  It can also be more conducive to a shelf-style layout, which actually takes up much less floor space.  Hope you figure out how to post pics and can keep us posted.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:40:36 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11610
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »
0
Wow, I'm glad to have been a factor in getting you here to post.

As you can probably tell, I'm really into urban modeling right now, and it looks like you've chosen an awesome project. Make sure to check out Tom's ChicagoSwitching.com site. It's pretty awesome when it comes to Chicago stuff.

Bsklarski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 673
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:57:09 PM »
0
Who do you fly for?
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

gringo

  • Posts: 14
  • Respect: 0
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:18:14 AM »
0




An overview of the entire railroad, with elements I'm going to try to capture.

@ Bski, I fly for Southern Air; it's an all cargo international 747/777 operation. Long days on the road, with stops in such garden spots such as Addis Abeba Ethiopia or Kabul, but also Hong Kong and Seoul, so it all works out; in the year I've been here I've hit every continent except Antarctica. It's a pretty cool job, but it does have its ups and downs...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:38:10 PM by gringo »

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
0
It's a pretty cool job, but it does have its ups and downs...

Literally.   ;)

~ Matt

Modutrak.com

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
0
It's a pretty cool job, but it does have its ups and downs...

Really? Without stewardesses?  ;D

Nifty road, had some very interesting photo locales... a number of shots on RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=334177
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:38:38 PM by lock4244 »

gringo

  • Posts: 14
  • Respect: 0
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »
0
Yeah, no stewardesses, but the girls in Uzbekistan are smokin hot!

I'm married to a smokin hot Brazilian, but as long as I don't order from the menu, she let's me look all day long. (Love my wife!)

Yeah, that shot is pretty cool- it's the H Kramer bronze smelting operation- the GP50 I filmed was spotting the industry. I'm curious if it will fit the canyon like the SW1200...

Question for you guys on shelf width- 18" or 24"?

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11610
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:56 AM »
0
If you can go 24", go 24", it'll give you more room for negative space.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:45 AM »
0
I actually prefer 18 inches or less of depth for a shelf layout - particularly in n scale.  Even with my long arms, 24 inches can be a reach if you have to do it on a diagonal.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 06:06:39 PM »
0
I like 21" depth. The branchline terminal I designed (12' x 4' L shape) is based on a 21" depth. This allows two railroads to enter town at different elevations and terminate at stub ended yards, a somewhat steep connector to join the two, a large salt mine complex with three long tracks at the loadout (21 car capacity IIRC) that runs along side the lower road's yard, a town area, two stations (one per RR), and one or two secondary industries (branches are pretty much kept alive by the salt mine). The idea is to not have everything crammed together... a little breathing from for spacial separation and little details.

gringo

  • Posts: 14
  • Respect: 0
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
0
Added a preliminary trackplan.

Had to use some modeling license with the corner; I couldn't fit the "engine facility" (chain link fence) north of Cermak, as in real world, so I added another street on the 4' section. Not ideal, but then again, when is it ever?

Likely going to replace the two upper right hand turnouts with a 3-way switch to increase the length of the switchback lead, and I'm likely going to have to handlay the diamond going to the produce wholesaler.

Comments are welcome!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:31:45 PM by gringo »

gringo

  • Posts: 14
  • Respect: 0
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
0
Engine storage facility. Standing on Cermak, looking North.



Trackside detail. I like the steel tie used to ensure proper gauge, while the wood ties rot out.



View down S. Canalport Ave. The "Engine Facility" would be located to the left. Cermak Ave is visible on the left side of the picture.




Bsklarski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 673
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Central Illinois Railroad- Chicago Southwest Side
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
0
Gringo thats awesome. I use to see Southern Air 747s in BDL when I worked there for UAL. I have the minicraft DC8 kit decaled for S.A. Im waiting for somebody to come out with decals for the 777s.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160