Author Topic: Product news and photos from Springfield  (Read 18352 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Product news and photos from Springfield
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 12:10:12 AM »
I almost forgot - Kato was unaware that the Pennsy single-stripe GG1 is incorrect - NOBODY TOLD THEM!  I have to supply them with accurate data next week so that the subsequent releases will be correct.  They said nothing can be done about the first release (such as replacement shells), but re-releases of the DGLE and new releases of the red scheme and the silver Congressional scheme can be fixed.  The intent currently is to release every scheme that has appeared on the GG1 as long as they keep selling, which they are.  Whether that includes all of the PRR 4800 variations I am not sure, and I did not ask.

The BM60M will NOT be released as a separate model.  There still are too many Broadway Limited sets in stock.  If the Broadway sells out, then single cars will become more of a possibility.

And, there is no chance they will release a New Haven EP3 or EP4 based on the GG1 mechanism (which they are asked constantly), as they feel the market isn't large enough to support the tooling costs.  I have to agree with them on this one.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
Bryan:

Thank you very much for posting the news and photos - a great service for those of us too far away to attend.

The new Atlas freight car is significant because it means progress in sorting out the production challenges in China.

The MTL 4427 will be of interest to BC Rail modellers post 1986 and I have already corresponded with Micro-Trains to suggest a BC Rail release.

The progression to body mounts on the part of several manufacturers is interesting, and a good thing I think, especially for those of us who get rid of the truck-mounted couplers.  I am wondering why 1016s - do they provide extra swing and thus a tighter minimum radius?

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 01:53:25 AM »

The new Atlas freight car is significant because it means progress in sorting out the production challenges in China.

I just hope it doesn't mean that Atlas isn't releasing their 89' flat in N - I think the trash rack has jumped the queue in the shrink-ray machine.

Thanks for the report and photos Bryan.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »
Bryan, thanks for the pics and news. That wagon top's door design is a nice step forward - the separate door casting allowing modelers to present the car with an open door with some ease. Does anyone know if the Milwaukee rib-sides were done similarly?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 08:06:41 AM »
Thanks for the post, Brian... great shots! Not much new or not previously announced, yet the drool flows.

The Exact Rail Evans 5277 looks good, especially the Norwood & St. Lawrence, yet I find no mention of them in N scale on the Exact Rail website. Not available for sale or what?

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 08:08:25 AM »
Great information and photos Bryan!!  Thanks!!!!  Any clues from Micro-Trains on what the next heavyweight body might be?  I hope FVM comes out with a later addition of the Hiawatha with a bigger steam loco!  Good news on the GG1, I would like at least one version with the correct large Pennsy spelling and single stripe.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 08:16:31 AM »
BLMA - Test shots of the Trinity reefer and final proofs of the ACF gondolas were on display, as well as the new brass bridges.  The gons feature detail on top of the cords and drop ends, a feature that isn't evident in any previous photos of the model.  The coupler pocket of the reefer is slightly different than the previous models due to the use of a 1016 knuckle.  Both models look exquisite.

Interesting that both the BLMA reefer and the new MTL 4427 use the 1016s.

I wonder how the F89-J's are coming ...

christoph

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »
Bryan,
thank you for the information and the pictures.

As I said in another post, we N-scalers are living in wonderful times, but these are real expensive times  ;D :o

My budget will go into the older (transition era) models, but it is still a lot I want to order.
Christoph

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 08:50:38 AM »
The MT covered hopper looks nice .. I also like the BLMA and Exactrail cars ..

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »
 I hope FVM comes out with a later addition of the Hiawatha with a bigger steam loco!

I was thinking the same thing. My vote would be for a Hudson.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
I almost forgot - Kato was unaware that the Pennsy single-stripe GG1 is incorrect - NOBODY TOLD THEM! 

See, I noticed that right away and I said nothing.  Now I feel badly.  But I learned my lesson!

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
Is it me or  did Kato forget to look at an Amtrak Amtube & see they have doors on each end of the car?
Nice job Bryan.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:46:44 AM by SecretWeapon »
Mike

inkaneer

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »
Okay I have to ask.  What exactly is a parlor car?

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »
I am in no way an expert on Amtrak equipement but I think these are Amfleet II cars. They do not have doors at each end like the Amfleet I cars.

http://hebners.net/amtrak/amtAMFLT/amt25003.jpg
Tony Hines

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. My vote would be for a Hudson.

The rumours of that amongst many HO'wers abound. And they've already had a later version of the Hiawatha done by Walthers.