Author Topic: Locobuffer vs Digitrax PR3?  (Read 3515 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7964
    • Conrail 1285
Locobuffer vs Digitrax PR3?
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
Ok, so I'm about to dive in and get myself a Zephyr (happy birthday to me!), and I'm trying to decide what I want to do about a computer interface.

I know there are two options for us Mac users, the Locobuffer (http://www.dcctrain.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2110&catid=) and the PR3 (http://www.digitrax.com/prd_compint_pr3.php). Which is the smarter choice, and why?

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +65
Re: Locobuffer vs Digitrax PR3?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »
Currently using a PR3 with no complaints. I cant say one has an advantage over the other since I dont own the competing product. I like to keep things in the same manufacturer family just to keep a standard and have a consistency between products. The biggest issue I've had was understanding JMRI settings and the various interfaces with the layout. You'll see what I am talking about soon enough ;).

The S.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:53:06 AM »
This has been a recent hot topic on the Digitrax Yahoo Group and the JMRI group

Both are useful.

The PR3 is the most versatile.  It has 2 modes - MS100 emulator for connecting your computer to Loco-Net and  Programmer mode for programming without a command station.  In addition it's the only thing that can download sound files to the Digitrax sound decoders - so far.  It also has the reputation of being a bit finicky.  Digitrax tech support on the device has the reputation of being fairly useless unless it's a really simple problem.  Have a spare USB cable handy as a good number of the ones sent out with the device are known to be bad.  For MS100 mode it needs no power supply, but for standalone programming you need at least 14vdc and closer to the max of 20vdc can be better if you need to program "foreign" sound decoders like the Tsunami.

The Locobuffer-USB is a pure computer interface.  It will tie your computer to the Loco-Net bus and do it very well.  But that's all.  Since you (will) have the Zephyr for programming you are okay there.  DecoderPro (JMRI) will use the LocoBuffer to to talk to the Zephyr and do the programming.  The LocoBuffer has opto-isolated inputs which can be a factor if you have electrical ground issues.  The manufacturer, Dick Bronson, hangs out on both the Digitrax and JMRI Yahoo groups and is very helpful if you should have a problem, but they are rare.  If size is a concern, the LocoBuffer is a lot smaller.  It's powered off of the USB port.  The USB chip used in the LocoBuffer (or maybe the drivers) provides a unique registration id which is handy in Windows - if you plug the LocoBuffer into a different USB port on your computer, the COMx port won't change whereas with the PR3 it may.  A minor, but often frustrating problem which comes up on the groups.

I am also a Mac user and I have both of these devices.  However, at the moment my usage of them is almost nil and I'm relying on what I have read over the past year or so on both of these groups.  With any luck, in the next few months I'll have thing set up and I'll be doing a lot with them in terms of programming and learning JMRI.

If you have any interest in using the Digitrax sound decoders - primarily downloading new sound files, then you need the PR3 as this is the only device that will do that currently.  The caveat is that the only programs that work with it are mainly provided by Digitrax and they are Windows programs.  Digitrax has no interest at this time in providing Mac versions.  However, there is work being done with JMRI to accomplish this task.  Currently it is beta (maybe alpha) level.

If you have the means, getting both is not a bad idea.  If you want something to start with, knowing what I think I do about your situation from reading this message board, I'd say start with the LocoBuffer-USB.  It's the easiest device to use to link the computer and Loco-Net and you can use it, JMRI and your Zephyr to do programming.  Later on if you decide you need a stand-alone programmer or want to do Digitrax sound, then you can get a PR3.  If you decide to get the PR3 and want to use it as a programmer, remember you also need a power supply - either a Digitrax PS14 or equivalent.  It's not included with the PR3.

John H. Reinhardt
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:02:47 AM »
Ed,
 First, look at the new Zephyr Extra. Original Zephyr has been discontinued. New one has more stuff built in that you may or may not ever need.

Locobuffer and PR3 are each good products.
IMHO, Locobuffer is easier to set up. It is an interface between your computer and Loconet in your Zephyr. No extra features are gained with Locobuffer. You get a solid piece of hardware that allows connecting a computer to your layout.

PR3 is also an interface. IMHO, it's a little harder to set up because it still uses some odd baud rates. Locobuffer was actually invented to overcome this obstacle. John has one of the original kit built models. PR3 can also be used as a stand alone programmer. No connection to loconet is needed when it's in stand alone mode. PR3 is also required to load sound files into Digitrax sound decoders. Most sound decoder companies use a proprietary piece of equipment to load their sound files so it won't load other company's files.

My personal preference is Locobuffer. I have the older serial version. I use it at home. It's also the one I use to connect my old laptop at the club.

I also have a Sprog. It's a stand alone programmer. Bought it about a month before PR3 came out. Paid more than a PR3, too. Sprog won't interface with loconet. I most likely would own a PR3 if not for the Sprog.

Of the three products, I'd recommend Locobuffer be purchased first. You may never want or need a PR3.

Martin

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
Ed,
   I own the Zephyr, PR3 combo. JMRI on my Windows 7 box allows me to program through the PR3->Zephyr combo without any additional power supply. I have mostly TCS decoders and everything works well. I do not plan on running sound (since I have never heard N-Scale sound that was worth the cost).

My reason for going the PR3 route verses Locobuffer, the price was pretty much a wash, and I was able to stay within the same manufacturer family (which usually helps with any future interoperability issues that may arise).

I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

John
John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
Never used the PR3, but the Locobuffer-USB is top notch .. and well supported

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »
LB-USB all the way. I have heard more complaints about the PR3 than anything...
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7964
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:37:48 PM »
I went with the PR3. Why? Because MBK had them and I was in a buying mood. :-)

So it, and my new Zephyr are now quietly humming away while I download JMRI.