Author Topic: Clouds  (Read 5278 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19616
  • Respect: +6938
Clouds
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
0
Should I re-paint and start over or are they OK?

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Clouds
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
0
Looks fantastic to me, and that's without the distraction of model trains in the foreground.  I like the subtlety of the cloud texture and especially that you didn't glue cotton batting to the backdrop.   ;D  What is it about the clouds that don't you like or are questioning?

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Clouds
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
0
Chris did you use the New London Industries cloud stencils? I have them and love them. Nothing
gets close to them. I hate the clinics on MR where they look like Mrs. Pearson's 3rd grade finger
paintings. Cotton or home made stencils on YOU TUBE, I've seen it all. And the one Dream It
Build It from 2005 with the hand painted kiddie clouds.



« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:23:57 PM by chuck geiger »

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12278
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11763
Re: Clouds
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
0
MR had that one article where the guy glued cotton balls to the wall for clouds.

Yeah.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Clouds
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:29:57 PM »
0
I would be on cloud nine if I painted such a realistic sky . One of the best I have ever seen . Is there nothing you can screw up ?


Richie Dost

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Clouds
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »
0
/>
This is the reason the web site and book was published
MISTAKES MODEL RAILROADERS MAKE.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:38:03 PM by chuck geiger »

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Clouds
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »
0
Chuck, that one's genius!


And cotton balls - why didn't I think of that? ::)

Chris - the clouds look great. Personally, I got lazy and did my layout on a cloudless day.

Mark


chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Clouds
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »
0
The same guy that used a witches broom somewhere on YOU TUBE used cotton. I can't
find it. This guy is breaking my balls. BTW Chris the sky is grand - great job. Sometimes
with stenciled clouds, guys dry brush in some grey. I let it go with all Krylon and the
stencils. I'm waiting for a video with real clouds, a maroon opens up a jar with clouds
and air.

 

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:50:42 PM by chuck geiger »

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Clouds
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
0


I'm a minimalist.  If you paint 2-D clouds, sooner or later they'll look weird in a photo.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11610
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Clouds
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »
0
I agree with Lee, but if you're going to do them, yours look great.


SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Clouds
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »
0
Chris,
 The clouds look great. I've been looking at the sky thinking about a backdrop for my layout and have noticed something that is missing from your sky. At least around here, the sky is not uniform blue but fades to almost white at the horizon line. Too much humidity and haze to keep a perfect blue sky all the way to the horizon. It will give the backdrop more depth.

At this point, don't mess with a thing though. Those clouds are too nice to mess with and if you are doing any size of hill at the back of the layout, you wouldn't see the lower horizon line anyhow.
Tony Hines

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19616
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Clouds
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »
0
I don't think I can do the fade...

I made my own stencils form cardboard and used spray paint. The photo is probably the best spot. I could barely reach the backdrop so I was leaning in spaying, then stepping back. I wish I had my sky color in a spray to touch up some spots.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11610
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Clouds
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »
0
But Chris, there's a tutorial on wikihow!
http://www.wikihow.com/Give-a-%22Fade%22-or-%22Faded%22-Haircut-Hair-Cut-for-Males

Oh, wait, nevermind... :D

soo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +107
Re: Clouds
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:14:10 AM »
0
great job...don't change a thing.

  I used the new london stencils on my first layout...





adios wyatt

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5404
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Clouds
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:22:55 AM »
0
I wish I had my sky color in a spray to touch up some spots.

That's why someone invented airbrushes. ;-)