Author Topic: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?  (Read 2082 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
0
Rummaging through an old box of pieces/parts, I came across this little gem.



It looked a tad small for HO, being it was in a box of mainly HO parts, and the back windows have been raggedly cut and placed, but with the front opening, it looked big enough to fit an engine in, so I pulled a piece of flex and an SD40 out and it did fit, and looked like another would fit, so pulled another piece of flex and a U25B that was close...

So does anyone possibly recognize this structure from a kit or built up? And on the other hand, with some touch up and paint and weathering, and some work on the raggedly added windows in back, I'm thinking it could make a pretty nice little shortline engine shed??

Any suggestions?

michael

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:56:37 PM »
0
The bricks look a tad enormous to be N scale, but I suppose you could paint it grey and argue that they're 16" cinder blocks... The doorway looks a little on the tall side, too, but you could build that down with some corrugated metal siding, or a bank of windows.  It looks like one of those old euro kits, like a Kibri or a Vollmer.

I'm sure with a little weathering and some n scale detail parts you could make it look the part.  I'd suggest replacing the windows with something a little finer, and some ivy to cover some of the brickwork.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19616
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:02:47 AM »
0
Looks like an old Magnuson Models kit,

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
0
Good catch Lee; I didn't notice the brick that much, but now that you've mentioned it, it kinda sticks out.
Guess I'll chunk it back into the HO box and continue on. I've been slowly working on a lumber facility for the pike.

Cox 1947

  • Guest
Re: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:07:35 AM »
0
It looks like a old Tyco HO truck terminal..I think it was only sold as a "built-up" and maybe targeted to slot car market..Jerry

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »
0
Isn't it the Walther's truck transfer kit?

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26111
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11608
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
0
Honestly, I think it'll take a LOT of work to make it look less cartoonish. Don't miss the wall ends without any brick texture and the crazy out of scale windows.

That said, what I see there isn't so much an engine house as part of a larger industrial complex.

Blazeman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1306
  • Respect: +65
Re: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »
0
I believe I have that as well. It's an HO kit. I bought it at the time for use as a car barn for a trolley layout I had fantasies of doing.

Thinking back 30 years, since that's when I bought it, might even be in a box showing Lionel HO as the distributor. But still probably a Pola or Kibri structure.


Catt

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1721
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: Whatcha think? Decent small engine house?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »
0
I'd say go for it.Spend some imagination on and see what you can do with. ;D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made