Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/2/11  (Read 8376 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

93cram

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 12:54:22 PM »
0
Started reading the history of the MA and PA.  Almost makes me want to model this great little road if only they had the right equipment in N.

I can understand that Bob, this 'small' RR had a lot of appeal  8)
For some reasons, when looking at pics on the net or in the press about it, it always makes me think of a well designed freelance RR  :) ;)
I'd suppose that the main problem for modeling it is finding correct steam for it, am I wrong ?

You could always freelance a PA&MA and use B'chman 2-8-0 instead (or the newer highly discussed 2-6-0)  ;D

Marc

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11608
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »
0
Aside from the equipment issue (it's also tough to find civil war era passenger cars for it too), there's also the issue of operations.

It really was just a nice jaunt out through the country, with very little online operational interest between Baltimore and York.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 01:09:55 PM »
0
Not So!  There's the delightfully compact terminals at Baltimore and York, interchanges with the PRR and B&O at Baltimore, and PRR and WM at York.  Towson offered several interesting little industries, including the coal dock at the state college, Stebbins lumber yard, Black and Decker, and Bendix.  At Delta there were numerous slate quarries that supplied the roofing industry, and there was enough business between York and Red Lion to keep trains running into the 1980's.

Add to that the scheduled passenger runs, and you could have a busy, as well as bucolic railroad.  The WW2 era would be the best time to model, I would think.  While the Bachmann ten wheeler might not be a dead on match, it's certainly close enough, the MP 4-4-0 would be a pretty close stand in for #6, and the Bachmann Consolidation can stand in for 42 and 43.  You'd have to shorten a Bachmann doodlebug to make it look right, but with those models you'd have the basics covered.  The Athearn old timers could be easily modified to resemble the archaic passenger cars by cutting off the clerestories, and there's a good variety of outside braced wood cars to handle the freight.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

93cram

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
0
There have been a nice MA&PA layout in MR quite a few years ago, and indeed, it was mostly centered around one of the terminal town.
Nice prototype, none the less  8)

Thinking of it, it could be compared to some British RYs branchline wandering through the countryside with small and outdated equipment.
Perhaps not your 'average N scale modeler' dream  ;D but having taken interest in the Camas Prairie RR branches, or out of the boondocks AT&SF
branches in the Texas panhandle, I admit I have a weak spot for this kind of RR  ;)

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
0




"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »
0
Wow, so New Year's Day, ready to go to HOME DEPOT. I had been
taking care of my father in-law here at the house and he queitly
passed away 1-1. Let's just say, I was delayed. I moved into the
bigger room for the office and layout. Funeral is in Feb, so I am
going to HD again this week to get the door and foam. Been a
crazy weekend.

93cram

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »
0


Operating potential or not, this MR looks good ! 8) ;)
This picture clearly illustrates IMHO that N scale is also a 'landscape' modeling scale, thx for sharing  ;)

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
0
Who did the decals?  The M&PHS is scalist, and only does HO and up.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »
0
they ran an n scale set back in the day

not available anymore

speaking of the Mighty MA & PA

when are you taking us on the famous Weldon's MA & PA tour?
and more importantly, does it include a stop for a sausage or two?
I figure it could be a nice day trip in the spring time.
possible caravan... although we might need to roll the windows down after the sausages.

thoughts on the next railwire gathering?

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11608
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
0
Well, the CRHS will be having another RBQ in May, as usual, at Newport. Date and time to still be pinned down, but it'll be happening.

I'm definitely in for a MA&PA thing too, but I don't want any sausages from you two (now, Pollock Johnnies on the other hand...), but there are plenty of fine eateries up my way near the MA&PA row.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »
0
Wow, so New Year's Day, ready to go to HOME DEPOT. I had been
taking care of my father in-law here at the house and he queitly
passed away 1-1. Let's just say, I was delayed. I moved into the
bigger room for the office and layout. Funeral is in Feb, so I am
going to HD again this week to get the door and foam. Been a
crazy weekend.

Chuck,

My deepest and sincerest condolences to you on your and your wife's loss.  Rotten way to start off the year.  Hopefully, some model railroading and layout construction will ease the pain.

Dave Foxx

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11608
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 02:59:48 PM »
0
Chuck,

My deepest and sincerest condolences to you on your and your wife's loss.  Rotten way to start off the year.  Hopefully, some model railroading and layout construction will ease the pain.

Dave Foxx

Wow, I had completely missed that. My condolences to you and your family well.


chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
0
Thanks boys, I had been on FMLA for three months taking care of him
while my wife worked.

93cram

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
0
I had been on FMLA for three months

Condolences Chuck,
It takes a lot of courage to take care of someone who's facing his last months/weeks/days.
I visited my Great-Mother once a week after work during her last year.
I had been VERY close to her when I was a kid, so it was hard to see her declining, but afterward I'm happy I did it.

May I ask, what his FMLA ? (please feel free to answer by p.m...if you feel like explaining this to me  ;))

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 03:59:10 PM »
0
Family Medical Leave