Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/2/11  (Read 8379 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
0
Quote
Tim, That's great work.  You may have posted it in another thread, but how do you like the CVP wireless/Lenz wired combination?



Thank you.  So far, the Lenz/CVP combination is working very well.  Both systems were very well built and they interface fine.  I would prefer to have a stop on the CVP rotary encoder, but the wireless operation is so reliable that I can live with it.  My operators will have the choice of using the Lenz LH90 or the CVP T9000e.

Tim


T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11609
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »
0
It's one of those "model railroady" compromises that makes the hair stand up on the back of Ed's neck... I try to include as much of that as possible!   ;D

Ahahahahaha.

I spent a bunch of time at the B&O, and also did a study for using roadbed dimensions I pulled from a real CR drawing. Pics and videos of both later.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12278
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11763
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 02:39:08 PM »
0
Did some weathering.  Here's a Bluford Shops 70T hopper painted for Lee's Laurel Valley.  I added ACI labels, COTS, and a wheel inspection dot:



This is ESM's XIH boxcar.  I did a slight fade, weathered and added ACI:


BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
0
I got quite a bit done in the last week.  The small trestle is getting painted and being positioned in the final bridge scene.  Rails were inserted into the deck and it is now ready to connect to the remainder of the bridge.



Existing benchwork was modified to fit the new Taylor shadowbox scene on the lower deck.  The new benchwork module accommodates a slide-in scene 2ft deep and 4.5ft long.  A lift-out lighting beam drops into backdrop supports.  Standard cool white under-cabinet fluorescent strip lighting was installed on the lighting beam.





Fascia sections were installed and painted along the entire length of the bridge scene and at the Taylor benchwork.  Most of the lightweight masonite fascia sections are simply mounted with Velcro to allow for easy access.  Fascia sections that have a load-bearing requirement are more firmly mounted.  



The front fascia includes a view block panel between the bridge and Taylor.  This is to break up the two scenes visually (The two prototype locations are separated by a few miles).  



Front skirting was also added.  Again, this is attached with Velcro so that it can simply be removed during construction. The cosmetic elements of fascia and skirting really present the layout well, even though it is still in the early construction stages.

Completing the front fascia also allowed rough scenery profiles to be installed at each end of the bridge.  A rough web of card profile sections and masking tape has been built up to get an initial impression of the land forms and to assist in backdrop painting in these locations.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:02:00 PM by BCRail_FSJ »
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »
0
Good to see your progress, Andy.  Aren't holidays great! 

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
0
Good to see your progress, Andy.  Aren't holidays great! 

Tim


The annual Christmas week off is the best time to make major progress.   I may even start on the peninsula benchwork this afternoon!
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
0
I put up the front bracing on the benchwork around 1/2 the layout and dismantled the peninsula under the HVAC duct to give it some more clearance. I will be rebuilding that over the next week. I also received the Super Chief I bought in the mail on Friday and tested it out as much as one can without track setup,

Phil
- Phil

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11609
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »
0
Ok, as promised, more videos from the BANTRAK layout.








davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
0
The percentage of completion on my hollow core door layout dropped dramatically this week.  I ripped out the code 55 track that represents the Aberdeen & Rockfish track, because of problems with the curved turnouts.  I am going to install handlaid code 40 track on this portion of the layout.  The remaining code 55 track represents the double track mainline of a neighboring Class 1 and an interchange yard.



Materials are ordered.  Stay tuned.

Dave Foxx
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:07:00 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

N_DaveS

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
    • Potpourri for $500
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 11:42:07 PM »
0
I managed to get a few more feet of track down and the turntable test-fitted. Details here: http://p4500.blogspot.com/2011/01/layout-update-17-time-progress.html.

ednadolski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5079
  • Respect: +2096
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »
0
I am going to install handlaid code 40 track on this portion of the layout.

Awesome! Please be sure to keep us posted on progress!   8) 8) 8)

Ed

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 09:43:51 AM »
0
Had some fun taking pictures on MiNi on New Year's Eve.









~ Matt

Modutrak.com

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
0
whenever i see pics of MiNi i feel like quoting Wayne's World

"We're Not Worthy" !!!

gosh that is great work.

as for me, i bought a roof
http://www.prr-parts.com/Page2.html

and a car
http://www.lowellsmith.net/carolwood.html


« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:23:59 AM by seusscaboose »
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »
0
Whenever I see pics of MiNi I feel like seeing more! But it's never enough. I think I'm hooked.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/11
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
0
Finished a yard officer (Cornerstone) for my crews.  Fixed a few couplers that were giving me problems.  Started reading the history of the MA and PA.  Almost makes me want to model this great little road if only they had the right equipment in N.