Author Topic: Changes  (Read 3671 times)

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Changes
« on: January 01, 2011, 02:35:37 PM »
Quick background here.. Im 38, been playing with trains since I was 5, building plastic models since 10. Im the son of one of the owners of E&P Associates. Been an HO modeler for all that time, N scale the past 5 years. Im thinking of going all N. I have been buying some nice stuff lately. I want to take down the HO layout and make an N layout. I was looking at the MRs Salt Lake Route, as its a nice layout. It will changed slightly to reflect the B&A between Pittsfield MA and Springfield Ma. It may be made 2x the original size and make in 2 sections to be portable as plan to move someday.

NOW the issue.. I have amassed enough of Kato unitrack to pretty much make the mainline as it is in the original plan. I have the V11 set which if you ask me, the tie spacing is awesome and I wish all the unitrack had that spacing. All I need is a few switches and single pieces and the Xovers. I figure $100 and i have all the track. I also have plenty of Code 55 Atlas track.

You guys seem to have been doing N longer than me and I have been watching these threads and even though I do not really know some of you, I respect what is being said on here. (Reason why I come here and barely go to Atlas forums, too much drama).

I am also a 1:1 scale engineer and do not have a ton of time to devote to a layout. Almost want to spend as little time as I can on it.

SO....... opinions, laughs, suggestions, threats? I can take it! I work for a real RR and get yelled at all day long!! I can take it!
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1991
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »
I think N scale track choice is a continuum, and I think, from what it sounds like, you've found the right triangulation for you when it comes to price, time and looks.

If using unitrack allows you to enjoy the hobby, go for it!!!

I even have some (and use it!)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1640
    • DKS Home
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »
I work for a real RR and get yelled at all day long!! I can take it!

Good thing, too, as there are some fellows here who will go out of their way to try and talk you out of using Unitrack. But I agree with Ed's sentiments.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:04:43 PM by David K. Smith »
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +170
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »
If your goal is to get something up and running quickly and you're happy with the appearance I'd say go for the unitrak.

Have some fun and go from there. ;D

Mark

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3318
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
I built the first part of my layout with code 80, but then switched to code 55 when I expanded.  I prefer the look of ballasted and weathered code 55.  However, I'm building a layout for my oldest son using Unitrack, and I'm starting to really like it.  Sure, it's not going to win close-up photography contests, but it has great play value and is high-quality.  It's reliable as anything too.

In the end it depends on what your priorities are.  Given your time constraints and the fact that you already have so much Kato track, just go ahead and use it.  If someday you decide it bugs you, it's very easy to remove and replace...  In fact, if you don't paint it you can probably sell it someday.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Doesn't Kato also make a matching ballast for the unitrak?

Ed

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »
- Phil

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
Given the size of the layout, i.e. twice the size of the Salt Lake Route, installing code 55 track wouldn't take that long either.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1147
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »
Unitrack is the Devil's playground.   ;D

I know you all were just waiting for me to chime in!

Hey, whatever floats your boat.  Just don't post pictures in a contest and expect to get away with it!

Personally, aside from the rail height, tie spacing, and plastic ballast, I really don't like the rigid geometry of the stuff.  The real railroad world, as surely you can attest, is full of gentle curves.  Flex track lets you get a little closer to the look of the real thing... at least around these here parts...

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »
Lee, where is this shot from, Sudbrook Park?
No farms, no food.

Support your local farmer's market!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +432
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:34:24 PM by John »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1147
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
Bingo!  Give that man a cigar!
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +382
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
I've got a lot of hang-ups about Unitrack however Lee nailed the biggest one for me...the geometry.

Looking at trains run on it reminds me of the El in Chicago or something, whiplash curves and sharp changes of direction in turnouts.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »
You can do some really neat stuff with Unitrack. As Lee pointed out, the gentile curve is the Achilles Heel of the stuff. Until they develop Unitrack Flex Track, you will be locked into a certain set of curve geometries.

Personally, I like the look of code 55 rail, but you can not beat the reliability of Unitrack.
John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad
http://mymodelrailroadsite.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1640
    • DKS Home
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
I agree that Unitrack track geometry is limiting, particularly as there are so few options for switches. However, I've been involved with some track planning for other Unitrack devotees, and found it's possible to break away from the "elevated line" look by being creative with the many curve radii available. It works best for small plans; big room layouts won't fare as well. Here's an example of a plan I'd originally done for Steve with C55 track that I "Unitracked" purely as an exercise (colors are used to indicate track elevation)--

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:26:15 PM by David K. Smith »
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python