Author Topic: More Walthers Passenger Car Paint Schemes  (Read 940 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
More Walthers Passenger Car Paint Schemes
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:57:47 PM »
             Walthers has released the next run of their smooth side and fluted side coaches and as  Pssenger Train Nut (Fanzee) I have been quite impressed with mine which arrived today. First off let me say the cars even with smooth sides are based on an NYC car so they are not exact for other roads like L&N,IC,MP,N&W,but are close enough for me. I have mixed feelings of the cars coming with the obligatory decal sheet that was missing from the early first run of the sleeping car. Why don't they do like the other manufacturers, offer say four car numbers,Con Cor has done this for along time also IM and Rapido of Canada if I recall has (six?) numbers or names on their cars.Now I will have to get out my various reference books to get correct numbers for the different roads I recieved. The Illinois Central car looks wonderful, they even researched the fact that most (not all) IC lightweight cars had brown trucks (not black) and the Walthers car has brown trucks and couplers. Many years ago I devalued my Con Cor Collector Panama Limited set by painting the truck side frames brown. The Mo Pac car is wonderful,paint matches Con Cor's later application, which having seen this scheme in Denver several times looks correct to me. The cars are lettered "The Eagle" on the letter board with small MP initials at the car ends. The L&N car nicely matches the paint on my Con Cor cars,and now I have a long enough train to run with my two Life Like old scheme E-7 diesels. The N&W cars are nicely painted, I have only seen N&W cars on a couple of N.R.H.S. excursion trips which featured the 611 J and the Class A lokies. The Tuscan Color used reciently and now by NS might be different than original color. Anyway the shade that Walthers has used looks far better that the overly red color used by Con Cor and on a BLW Special run by Con Cor. There is more of a brownish tint which I think looks good. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +517
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: More Walthers Passenger Car Paint Schemes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 05:26:10 PM »
             I have mixed feelings of the cars coming with the obligatory decal sheet that was missing from the early first run of the sleeping car. Why don't they do like the other manufacturers, offer say four car numbers,Con Cor has done this for along time also IM and Rapido of Canada if I recall has (six?) numbers or names on their cars.

Walthers addressed this earlier this month on the Atlas HO forum.

Quote from: Walther's on A-Board
Based on what modelers and dealers tell us, car name and number decals remain the best choice for multiple-car name trains.

For modelers, it allows complete flexibility to model a favorite car, a specific consist from a given day, or to build an entire fleet so you can mix and match cars as desired.

This also simplifies stocking and selling for dealers, and makes it a lot easier for you to find the car you need with one trip to the hobby shop.

Consider the New York Centrals 20th Century Limited for example. In addition to the two "Creek" and two "Shore" series cars unique to the train, NYC assigned 45 "Bay," 14 "Bridge,"14 "Port" and a whopping 97 "River" series sleepers to the 20th Century pool, If offered separately, a dealer would have to stock 174 different cars!

Jason