Author Topic: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now  (Read 5126 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:40:44 AM »
0
      The  first run of the WOT 70' baggage cars have been released. There are wonderful. Prototype correct details for each road I ordered,different types of roof vents, underframe type,etc. Some cars like Wabash feature modernized side doors with modern windows, All the cars feature a smaller width door at one end and a wider one at the other end. C&O is much appreciated as they ran mostly heavyweight baggage cars even with lightweight equipment. Both Arch Roof and Clerestory Roof cars are done road specific. Weels has done a new six wheel truck that is very nice and is fitted with an MT coupler. The Denver & Rio Grande Western car is a model of a unique one of a kind arch roof car that was originally a Denver & Salt Lake car which became a Grande car when the D&SL was purchased by Rio Grande in 1947. The Grande Gold and Sivlver paint scheme with Black multi stripes is very atractive as are the two car Texas & Pacific (TP) set  painted in the later MP Eagle Blue and Gray colors.                                         Nate Goodman (Nato).Salt Lake, Utah.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »
0
I'm picking up my undec celestory this week. Probably my last passenger car purchase for a while.


sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
0
I picked up a two pack of the C&O cars they are really nice. Thinking of picking up another single. They are really nicely done, my only complaint is a way to "lock" the doors closed.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:28:51 AM »
0
Regarding the doors - the good news on that is that they slide into the body from the top after the roof is removed, so they are easy to secure shut.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »
0
Regarding the doors - the good news on that is that they slide into the body from the top after the roof is removed, so they are easy to secure shut.

Can you elaborate? On all three cars that I picked up the doors just float in their tracks like MT cars do, in handling the cars the doors flop open or closed. I do not want to glue them closed I prefer to have the luxury of opening or closing them at will.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:19:10 AM »
0
Pop the roof off from the ends.  There is a second "false roof" that is part of the body, which also serves as the top track for the doors.  With the real roof off, there is nothing to hold the doors in if you turn the car upside down.

You probably can secure the doors to the inner roof in the position you want with masking tape before reinstalling the main roof.  I have no need of open doors on moving RPOs, so I locked all of mine with a drop of superglue to secure the doors to the inner roof.  I suppose you also could put a piece of tape between the inside door face and the inner roof to create a tighter fit, which would allow you to open and close the doors when desired and not have them open on their own while the car is in a moving consist.

 
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
0
You probably can secure the doors to the inner roof in the position you want with masking tape before reinstalling the main roof.  I have no need of open doors on moving RPOs, so I locked all of mine with a drop of superglue to secure the doors to the inner roof.  I suppose you also could put a piece of tape between the inside door face and the inner roof to create a tighter fit, which would allow you to open and close the doors when desired and not have them open on their own while the car is in a moving consist.

Thats a good idea to put some tape in there. I was thinking about detailing the inside a little and have the door slightly ajar, add some lights etc.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »
0
I got mine today. Very nice car but sloppy assembly in some areas. At least two of the end stirrups are crooked - they appear to be glued so hopefully I can remove them and re-attach them properly.



Crooked end step: (crappy pic but you get the idea)


I guess this is the new truck? The car does not seem very free wheeling.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:49:17 PM by NandW »


Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19616
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »
0
I want to order a couple, but would need to re-side them to get the doors further apart.

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »
0
I picked up a two pack of the C&O cars they are really nice. Thinking of picking up another single. They are really nicely done, my only complaint is a way to "lock" the doors closed.

The S.

I stopped by MBK and had all intentions of picking up a single C&O car.  They look sharp!
I ended up grabbing the 2 pack.

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Pete Steinmetz

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 11:29:16 AM »
0
I bought 4 cars.  I like them a lot except for the wheels.  They look like and Atlas or IM wheel. except they are 36" wheels.  I want to replace them with .553 Fox Valley 36" wheels.  It may be difficult to get the middle wheel out.  The end wheels seem to be held in place by the brake rigging.  I will have to investigate more before doing surgery.

Pete S.
Pete Steinmetz
Encinitas, CA

central.vermont

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2627
  • Gender: Male
  • Jon
  • Respect: +148
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 09:12:25 PM »
0
Anyone seen the CN cars yet? I can't seem to find any photo's on line
anywhere other than the artist drawing below and would like to see them before ordering online.

Jon


Wardie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +34
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
0
I have one and will try to photograph it tomorrow, slightly different shade of green then the 60' cars.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
0
Jon, MBK has the cars in stock and has large pics of the model on their site.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Wheels-O-Time baggage cars are here now
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
0
Got to get a C&O one.  Will fit in nicely with my PRR mail and express train.