Author Topic: Z Scale track planning ideas  (Read 17590 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Z Scale track planning ideas
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:30:17 AM »
Here's a new resource for Z scalers who would like some track planning ideas and who want to use Micro-Trains roadbed track exclusively.

http://jamesriverbranch.net/plans.htm
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:45:43 PM by David K. Smith »

Gyroflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Track planning ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »
Thank you David. This is the stage I'm at this very moment, trying to get a plan for my layout. I need all the ideas possible to get going.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:58:32 PM by Gyroflyer »

JR59

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
    • Zscalegallery
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »
Wow, great Track plans. I love the Triangle Industrial Park. Thanks!

with best Regards
Jürg

http://www.zscalegallery.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »
Nice work, a lot of really different plans, for just about any look and feel one might need.

I was excited to see another version of the Aberdeen and Rockfish plan, but it doesn't look like it transferred well to sectional track?  One of the neat things, I thought, about the original was the double track mainline cutting through the bottom half.  That got lost in this iteration, so there's no clear separation between a heavily traffic'd mainline and the meandering branch.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:33:40 PM »
I was excited to see another version of the Aberdeen and Rockfish plan, but it doesn't look like it transferred well to sectional track?  One of the neat things, I thought, about the original was the double track mainline cutting through the bottom half.  That got lost in this iteration, so there's no clear separation between a heavily traffic'd mainline and the meandering branch.

I originally planned it as a more faithful adaptation (it didn't look too bad in sectional track), but it started getting very track-heavy; I wanted to simplify it to keep it more in line with the rest of the plans.

I may do another version that's closer to the source as I expand the plan collection--I have some larger, more involved plans in the works.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:04:10 PM by David K. Smith »

techrepjapan

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:44:16 AM »
Thank you, Mr. Smith! I look forward to seeing what else you come up with... especially with the soon to be available Rokuhan track pieces.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:25:10 AM by techrepjapan »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
There's something about that Gray River & Northern that struck a fancy... so while I wasn't even considering a Micro-Track layout before, I ended up getting a 2'x4' sheet of plywood and laying out the track this weekend.  It was a nice simple departure from bathroom remodeling.

The measurements for the cut pieces of track worked out just fine David.  Though now I need to figure out a some modern BNSF scenes that fit the layout.  I just need that one track-over-track scene but nothing is jumping to mind yet...

And we're all out of left hand turnouts at the shop.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:03:27 AM by Sokramiketes »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »
Ha Ha I was eyeballing that plan as well. And wishing there were cheaper scale width hood units to "play" with.

Now git some L-girders under there  :-*

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:35:25 PM »
Ha Ha I was eyeballing that plan as well. And wishing there were cheaper scale width hood units to "play" with.

Now git some L-girders under there  :-*

It's probably a perfect track plan for an eastern layout.  I briefly looked at what AZL GP's were available... they're not horribly pricey if you just need one.  ;)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
And hopefully the GP30's will be about the same price...

Maybe I'll start buying track.

We can have a build off competition  ;D

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »
We can have a build off competition  ;D

:D

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 08:06:57 AM »
Awesome! I'm thrilled these plans are getting people inspired. I recently received emails from two other modelers who are building layouts from the plan collection, one is doing the Aberdeen & Rockfish, the other is building the Manchester and Franklin. What a kick! Do keep the progress photos coming.

Mike, are you going to use the elevations published in the plan? It might look a little less "up and over-ish" with most of the track elevated.

Incidentally, the Grey River & Northern was the first plan I designed for the collection. It's an adaptation of a 4' x 8' HO starter layout plan I developed: http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/plan-1.htm Not sure if that's of any significance, but I thought I'd toss that out there.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:30:50 AM by David K. Smith »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 08:28:56 AM »
Mike, are you going to use the elevations published in the plan? It might look a little less "up and over-ish" with most of the track elevated.

Definitely.  I had just enough scrap foam to raise that track up so I could run some trains.  I think the next step will be to cookie cutter the track plan from some 1/8" masonite, and then build up underneath it with foam to build to the proper elevations.  Or I'll get over my all-foam-roadbed phobia and pick up some foam core since the plastic roadbed base is pretty stable anyway.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
Cool. Also verify track alignment against the plan before bonding it to [whatever]. The two tracks along the front should be parallel, and the last straight section on the upper track should be more or less centered over the switch on the lower track. I know you just have it plopped down roughly in place, just wanted to be sure everything lines up per the plan (I've actually assembled this one myself to verify the plan, and it seems to work).

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »
... and the last straight section on the upper track should be more or less centered over the switch on the lower track.

I think I deviated from plan a little here to use a RH turnout... and I think this was the place where one section of curve didn't have a part number.  It seemed to work out OK like this.