Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/05/10  (Read 9563 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 12/05/10
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »
Thank you for all of the kind comments regarding the wiring.  I must confess to being somewhat taken aback because of all the facets of model railway construction, it is the one I have the least experience with or understanding of.  Perhaps that has somehow worked in my favour as I am trying to lay everything out so that I can understand it, maintain it and troubleshoot it more easily.  So far it all seems to be working rather well and I haven't blown anything up or melted anything yet.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Day One

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 07:12:15 AM »
It's been a while since I've had anything to post for Weekend Update. I've recently dismantled my own layout in order to make space for other projects. It will be a while, but the layout will be re-assembled and worked on again. In the mean time, I've been working on some Loco, Freight car, and DCC projects.

This DCC programing track is the first project to get near completion. I'm using JMRI running on a laptop to control a SPROG II, Locobuffer USB, and BDL168 in order to speed match loco's and fine tune sound decoder installations. The speed matching process will be hands free and automated via a script in JMRI. It's got a bit of work left before it's done. I'll be adding a Lokprogramer as well and then finishing up odds and ends. I've barely tested it yet but have had a few loco's running using a throttle in JMRI. I need to setup the BDL168 still before the 8 detection sections in the loop will be monitored on loconet.

BCR, your wiring looks fantastic. I don't know about you, but I find good tools make tidy wiring much easier. A good pair of wire strippers, a small needle nose pliers, and a couple good tweezers can make a big difference.

shamoo737

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13:31 AM »
I am nearing completion of my first Zmod end module, and I finally have something to connect with other zheads. ;D

John

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:43 AM »
This DCC programing track is the first project to get near completion. I'm using JMRI running on a laptop to control a SPROG II, Locobuffer USB, and BDL168 in order to speed match loco's and fine tune sound decoder installations. The speed matching process will be hands free and automated via a script in JMRI. It's got a bit of work left before it's done. I'll be adding a Lokprogramer as well and then finishing up odds and ends. I've barely tested it yet but have had a few loco's running using a throttle in JMRI. I need to setup the BDL168 still before the 8 detection sections in the loop will be monitored on loconet.

Probably a dumb question (I'm good for those), but is there any issue of the sharp radius curve affecting your speed matching?  A six-axle locomotive (or long-based steamer) may run completely different from a four-axle motor on that circle of track.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »
Nothing much. Reorg'd all my passenger cars and freight cars with new larger storage. Loaned a camera to N&W. Stopped off at Kleins twice...they package was right, the car inside was wrong. Picked up a MP 4-4-0 in Beano, a second Class J to correct some issues with my 611, a DPM "Pre-Fab" Building, and the new trainman '40 ft DD boxcars.

The S.

avel

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Layout Album
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
I am liking it Dave, gonna post any pics with the passneger cars on it? Im still trying to see what I can get away with running passenger cars.

Brian

I've ran Kato Superliners through an 8.5"R loop laid with Atlas code 55 flex. Superliners coupled together and coupled to a Kato P42. They were stock and not modified in any way. No slow down or binding on the curves. A Kato SD40-2 latest run would slow down on the curves until I filed away part of the coupler pocket so that it wouldn't contact the truck.
iamaman27 on the youtubes

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
It's been a while since I've had anything to post for Weekend Update. I've recently dismantled my own layout in order to make space for other projects. It will be a while, but the layout will be re-assembled and worked on again. In the mean time, I've been working on some Loco, Freight car, and DCC projects.

BCR, your wiring looks fantastic. I don't know about you, but I find good tools make tidy wiring much easier. A good pair of wire strippers, a small needle nose pliers, and a couple good tweezers can make a big difference.

Hey just what I have been looking for, an actual photo of this setup! TiVo too.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

93cram

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 02:14:29 PM »

Day One, your wiring is neat too  ;)

93cram

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »
Regarding the Atlas #5s, the only problem I have experienced is what appears to be a short between the frog and the section of straight track (not the diverging track) between it and the switch points on a righthand #5. The quick and dirty solution would be to go dead frog, but I know that can cause stalling problems. Any one else experienced this?

Dave,
Does this phenomenon affect each straight rails between point rails and frog on your RH #5, or only one side ?

Marc

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 02:47:31 PM »
Dave,
Does this phenomenon affect each straight rails between point rails and frog on your RH #5, or only one side ?

Marc

Marc,

I can't speak for N_DaveS, but it sounds to me like he has experienced a short which could be caused by a gap closing around the frog.  That will cause a short as soon as a metal wheel crosses it.  A simple check of the gaps around the frog should, hopefully, find the problem.  It might take a razor saw or cutoff wheel to recut the gap.  Personally, I have not experienced this problem yet... thankfully.

A problem that I have experienced with Atlas turnouts that is not just specific to the #5s is that every once in a while one of the rails between the points and the frog is not getting power and I had to add a feeder.  But, this is just good practice, and you shouldn't count on the points to feed those rails anyway.  I actually have this problem on one of the curved turnouts I just installed on my new layout. When I get around to wiring the layout, I will add a feeder to power a dead spot just before the frog on the diverging route.  Right now, a train cannot circumnavigate my roundy-round without stalling, unless you crank up the throttle to almost 50% and the train slides through.  Those curved turnout frogs are huge!   ;D

Dave Foxx

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »
I was able to complete the main line of track 1 through staging, linking the west end with the east end of the layout. I was able to finally break in my C40-8W's pulling some 40 and 60 car intermodals around the layout for hours. It was pretty nice to finally get this accomplished and really gave a feeling that things are progressing on the layout. In the next week or so I hope to finish main line track 2 though staging. With those completed the only track remaining to be put down will be Meredith yard, and the holding tracks in staging.

A problem that I have experienced with Atlas turnouts that is not just specific to the #5s is that every once in a while one of the rails between the points and the frog is not getting power and I had to add a feeder.  But, this is just good practice, and you shouldn't count on the points to feed those rails anyway.   ;D

I have experienced this as well and have a few spots that I need to do this. And now that I do have roundy round trains on the layout I found some turnouts where cars are derailing and found that the point rails were bowed on these "problem spots" causing the point rails to be slightly higher than the stock rails and causing the wheelsets to bounce over the stock rails for their respective route.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »

And now that I do have roundy round trains on the layout I found some turnouts where cars are derailing and found that the point rails were bowed on these "problem spots" causing the point rails to be slightly higher than the stock rails and causing the wheelsets to bounce over the stock rails for their respective route.

I've seen this, too.  Easy fix, if you're not too heavy-handed with the points.  I'm now dealing with Atlas' curved turnouts for the first time.  I seem to be experiencing a number of blunt points.  Nothing a file can't fix, though.

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »
I've seen this, too.  Easy fix, if you're not too heavy-handed with the points.  I'm now dealing with Atlas' curved turnouts for the first time.  I seem to be experiencing a number of blunt points.  Nothing a file can't fix, though.

Dave, have you just been pushing down on them to get them to their proper shape?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
Dave, have you just been pushing down on them to get them to their proper shape?

Ian,

Depending on the deflection, I either bend or file them.  Generally, if it's a vertical deflection, I file them.  You will have a better chance of bending the points, if there is a horizontal deflection that tightens the gauge.  Just be careful, because the points are surprisingly sturdy, but where they attach only takes so much abuse.

I don't know if this helps, but here's one word of advice.  Do you cut off the extended ties and throwbar on the side away from your ground throw (or both sides if you have an undermount switch machine)?  If you do, you must keep the small bit of plastic outside the rails that is perpendicular to the ties and crosses over the top of the throwbar .  That small molding seems to hold the throwbar down and prevent it from rising up and raising the points above the stock rails.

Hope this helps,
Dave

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

93cram

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »
Marc,

I can't speak for N_DaveS, but it sounds to me like he has experienced a short which could be caused by a gap closing around the frog.  That will cause a short as soon as a metal wheel crosses it.  A simple check of the gaps around the frog should, hopefully, find the problem.  It might take a razor saw or cutoff wheel to recut the gap.  Personally, I have not experienced this problem yet... thankfully.

A problem that I have experienced with Atlas turnouts that is not just specific to the #5s is that every once in a while one of the rails between the points and the frog is not getting power and I had to add a feeder.  But, this is just good practice, and you shouldn't count on the points to feed those rails anyway.  I actually have this problem on one of the curved turnouts I just installed on my new layout. When I get around to wiring the layout, I will add a feeder to power a dead spot just before the frog on the diverging route.  Right now, a train cannot circumnavigate my roundy-round without stalling, unless you crank up the throttle to almost 50% and the train slides through.  Those curved turnout frogs are huge!   ;D

Dave Foxx

Thx Dave, that's really informative.
I've had some experience with ME turnouts 10 years ago, when I was able to complete a 5' switching layout... ::) :-[
My experience so far is that every section of rail should be powered, yet it can sometimes be easier to say than to do (points rails
are an example, where feeding wires must not prevent mobility)  ;D

After all, I have rather to think around the need to power a turnout properly than having to find why nearly everything is derailing
when going through  ;D
For Atlas turnouts (have a bunch of them, mostly #5 and 7 ready to be used), I've envisioned to power point and straight rails each
on their nearest side rail, while powering the frog independently.
Dave S story and your suggestion make me think that extra care should be taken for isolating the frog from converging/diverging rails.
A good case for a small rail brown paint dab at the juncture, small enough to be un-noticeable, large enough to prevent metal
wheels from bridging both rails ?

Marc