Author Topic: Silly Germans, why would you do this?  (Read 1390 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
Silly Germans, why would you do this?
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:01:44 AM »
Hey everyone! I found the rare american equipment at a train show outside of stuttgart this weeken, although some of his prices were a little steep (€80 or $110 for a mikado that follows the follwing description) he had a box of Micro trains cars with no boxes, for €3 each($5) the catch, each car had something odd done to it, like the 5 I bought, 2 hoppers were full of white glue and corn kernals, and the 3 boxcars I picked up had the ladders, roofwalks and brakewheels painted slopply with loud colored paint or perminte markers. Also, the trucks were painted bright red or yellow. I have no idea what the person was thinking, but for €3 I will try to clean them up.

Now here is my question, the trucks and side steps are easy, soak in 90% iso. Alcohol should take care of buisness, but I don't wanna damage the MT paint, but I need to remove the unwanted colors, how would I go about that?

Also, I need a door for a 50' DD SP&S boxcar, the one without the boards for notes and such. any ideas?
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

christoph

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Re: Silly Germans, why would you do this?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
 ;D   :o
Sometimes people around here do strange things... 

I bought a Röwa mallet on ebay that was modified with buffers and the pilot removed, but still lettered Santa Fe.  Probably someone ran it with his German cars.  I will either rebuild the engine one day, or use it for parts (all these tiny plastic parts make me a bit anxious).

You might be happy that the MTL cars were not converted to Rapidos and buffers  :P ::)
Christoph

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Silly Germans, why would you do this?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »
... Now here is my question, the trucks and side steps are easy, soak in 90% iso. Alcohol should take care of buisness, but I don't wanna damage the MT paint, but I need to remove the unwanted colors, how would I go about that?

Also, I need a door for a 50' DD SP&S boxcar, the one without the boards for notes and such. any ideas?

You might have to airbrush over the markers with the original paint color.

Regarding the Youngstown 8-foot double doors, MTL does offer them in their detail parts product line.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net