Author Topic: Kato GEVO Photos Up  (Read 4189 times)

ljudice

Re: Kato GEVO Photos Up
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 06:16:05 PM »
Drifter - check katousa.com they have all the photos online...

Lou

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
Conspcuity
stripes are fine by me on the Maxi I.  The single road nunber will effectively cramp my plans as I was shopping for 2-3 cars initially, but I'm not inclined to renumber them unless it becomes necessary. 

The APL blue containers are absolutely contemporary to the conspicuity stripes so those who were hoping to buy the set and sell the containers on the trading post may decide against this version.  The conspicuity stripes may be easily covered with weathering although I'm wondering how to protect them during the weathering process myself. 

I'm buying one, for now and contemplating how others might proceed.  Perhaps Kato intends to sell repeated runs of these the way they have with the GE AC4400 and Maxi IV models covering various decorations as time goes by.  If that is the case, they can expect my money on a regular schedule...

There is a blog, that I follow that has a method to take off Athearn's stripes, using MicroSol, a paintbrush and a pencil eraser.

http://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/removing-conspicuity-stripes-from-athearn-lpg-tank-cars/

“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

ljudice

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »
Got mine today - very nice - but kind of naked in the warning decal department! 

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
Pictures are up for the CSX and GE demo. Looks like Kato hire the same assclown that did the research on the FVM gevos. Both units are missing the third dynamic brake vent and the CSX units have the wrong handrails. Guess they though since FVM got a pass they will to. I also send them an Email telling them of my displeasure for whatever good that will do.

Looks like I have some hacking to do and hope they have the front and rear handrail in there store.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:27:36 PM by sundowner »
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
From FVM:

Q: Will you do all the absolute 100% correct versions of these locos. Which ones will you do?

Sorry to say, no can do. There are numerous versions on the GEVO Locomotives. There are 10 US roads that own GEVO's with only slightly more paint schemes, while body variations number somewhere above 20. UP has at least 4 versions itself. While it would be neat to do absolute correct versions for every road, and certainly possible , it is simply not cost effective or practical. So what are we modeling? After looking across the board on all variations (which are still evolving on the prototype even today), We decided to model 3 specific locos - 2 AC versions and 1 DC version. We are doing 2 unique cabs. A 3 Window version commonly used on the UP and a 4 window version commonly used on the BNSF. The AC and DC locos use different sills and handrails - so we did those. There are AC bodies with High (UP) and Low (BNSF) rear headlights. The DC body uses the low rear headlight (BNSF). We also opted to add either Hi-Ad or Steerable trucks in the mix. With all these components, we can mix and match parts to get a number of specific prototypes and fairly close on the rest. With these parts, we will be offering 6 different locomotives.
~ Matt

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
From FVM:

So what does this have to do with Kato?
Graten FVM got four of the eleven models right were Kato got two out of five. Not cool for either one in my book.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

m301

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »
Although not a western road modeler, I will certainly try to get the Demonstrator.

Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be "recalled" by their maker.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
Looks like Kato hire the same assclown that did the research on the FVM gevos. Both units are missing the third dynamic brake vent and the CSX units have the wrong handrails. Guess they though since FVM got a pass they will to. I also send them an Email telling them of my displeasure for whatever good that will do.
~ Matt

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »
whats up with this

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have this weird image of some young Japanese rockabillier (rockabilliest?), replete with DA, as their webmaster. Creepy, if you ask me.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.