Author Topic: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !  (Read 7223 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
0
Hmm, now I'm confused.  Is this a good time or bad time to be moving to Canada?

 ::)

I'm here, what more reason do you need (to stay away ;))?

Bruce Bird

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 187
  • Respect: +3
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »
0
Does the SUV have a CD player so I can play my old punk records while I inspect?

Lee

Absolutely!  Anything to keep one awake while doing this at night!

I even had one gent who asked if he could bring his own driver- that way he could- ahem- bring along refreshments....

Bruce

FloridaBoy

  • Guest
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 11:27:25 PM »
0
I think this is horrible, and here I am complaining that I can't get a decent set of Microscale decals at any LHS around here in South Florida.  So bad of a supply down here that I have stopped painting some of my locos in my Bessemer and Shenango Valley mode, or even making Pennsy locos.

To not have paints not only affects us, but think of other hobbies like plastic model building.  What about the home building industry in which certain varnishes, tints, paints etc are used in the construction of a house?  What about auto building, as some of the lacquers used contain solvents. 

This is quite serious. Imagine living in a country without solvents, what would be good enough to smell when painting in a room?  just kidding.....

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Packer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 742
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 11:56:57 PM »
0
Just curious, couldn't Canadians find a different brand of paint that is legal that would still work well?

I can't get anything other than paint at my LHS... weird area I guess...
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »
0
Just curious, couldn't Canadians find a different brand of paint that is legal that would still work well?

I can't get anything other than paint at my LHS... weird area I guess...

Oh, getting paints that comply to this new international regualtion isn't hard - just buy Polyscale.....wait a minute, Walthers won't ship Polyscale to Canada because they can't read a code number..............rats... >:(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:20:21 AM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

christoph

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 153
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 08:02:31 AM »
0
I am a bit confused...  ???

Living in Germany I know the problem quite well, but it is only solvent-based paints.  My dealer in Germany can (or could ???) get all PollyS acrylic paints I wanted, but no solvent-based stuff.
It is not only that they are not shipped by airfreight,  also the local brand Revell switches from solvent-based to water-based paints.

In addition to paints, it is also impossible to get Tenax plastic welder here in Germany.  I have one last bottle and when it is finished, that's it.  I have to check alternatives like MEK.

If anyone knows a European source for Tenax, please tell me  :)
Christoph

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 08:16:52 AM »
0
Strange you likeTenex and I like using Faller Super Expert.  Can't you use it also?

christoph

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 153
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »
0
Strange you likeTenex and I like using Faller Super Expert.  Can't you use it also?

I use Tenax especially for Intermountain car kits, because it leaves no marks on the cars.  For building kits it seems not helpful as it cannot fill gaps.

For other plastic building I also use Faller Super Expert or some other adhesives.  I built my first kit without Tenax and ended up with some shining glue spots on the car.  Probably weathering will take care of it.
Christoph

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6764
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
0
I'm here, what more reason do you need (to stay away ;))?

Chuck warned me about you...  ;D

Now I'm trying to picture the a$$hat-West Tehachapi trip this April: a Canadian Brit (you), an Aussie (JC), a Coloradan (EN), a transplanted Brooklyn Yankees fan (FRT Chuck), and a native Cali reunited with his mother's homeland of BC (moi).  Maybe we can revive kiwi_bnsf to round out our Commonwealth representation.   Watch out Loop, here we come.    ::)  8)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:37:58 PM by GaryHinshaw »

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »
0
Chuck warned me about you...  ;D

But who warned you about Chuck?  ;D

It should be good next April. How much before then are you likely to be joining us in the frozen rainy north?

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6764
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »
0


Chuck's reputation precedes him.  ;)

We're planning to arrive Jan. 1, after a cross-country drive with a teenager and 2 dogs, but we're still looking for a shack to live in [$$$  :o]. 

I look forward to meeting a talented group of N scalers in Van.!

-gfh

BTW, I was told it was sunny that time of year...  ::)

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »
0
I look forward to meeting a talented group of N scalers in Van.!

-gfh

BTW, I was told it was sunny that time of year...  ::)

In Vancouver?
When I was there you couldn't tell there were mountains nearby because of the low clouds and fog. I remember being in Stanley Park, and a spot thinned out in the clouds and suddenly you could see a mountain appearing above a cloud bank.

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
0
It's only foggy when it's not raining!  ;D

Actually wierdly is was really misty in Van this morning, but the north shore was clear as a whistle - too bad I have to head into the murk to work! :)

Look forward to meeting up with you Gary in the new year! :)

TrainCat2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +932
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 03:19:49 PM »
0
I use Tenax especially for Intermountain car kits, because it leaves no marks on the cars.  For building kits it seems not helpful as it cannot fill gaps.

For other plastic building I also use Faller Super Expert or some other adhesives.  I built my first kit without Tenax and ended up with some shining glue spots on the car.  Probably weathering will take care of it.
I have always preferred Ambroid Pro Weld, but I have not been able to find it anywhere. Their website is offline, Walthers and Horizon Hobbies don't know if they can get stock again. I could use 6 bottles now if I knew where to order it from.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Wanna paint your locomotive... not in Canada for much longer !
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 01:39:45 AM »
0
Oh, getting paints that comply to this new international regualtion isn't hard - just buy Polyscale.....wait a minute, Walthers won't ship Polyscale to Canada because they can't read a code number..............rats... >:(

What about the TLT paints? This has no effect on them.