Author Topic: New industrial track suggestions  (Read 4750 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »
0
Here's my thoughts..I would add 2 large or 3 medium size industries and make it a reverse move in/pullout or a pull in/reverse move out just like the prototypes has.

That is the way I have my Slate Creek Industrial layout planned.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »
0
It looks really good Ian.  
A couple of comments though.  I think I'd expect more continuity in the rust color in the web of the rail in the still active and abandoned track.  Also, I'd think that the rail through the lot behind the depot would still be in place in some manner, whether patched over or left as was through the lot.  If it were just patched over, I'm sure that they could still be made out under the patch.  It's probably more likely that if this is just used as a maintainer section, they would be just left as they were.

The abandoned track still has to be blended in with the in service trackage. When the scene is complete there will not be such a stark contrast.

Track in the street!? Already getting there for ya! I was waiting for the main lot to dry completely so I could cut and make the patch pour so that the colors are different.



Here's my thoughts..I would add 2 large or 3 medium size industries and make it a reverse move in/pullout or a pull in/reverse move out just like the prototypes has.

That is the way I have my Slate Creek Industrial layout planned.

Can't now, its all abandoned and being ripped up!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:41:33 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
0
Splendid... ;D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9964
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2883
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
0
Very believable .


Richie Dost

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6762
  • Respect: +2639
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
0
Really excellent.  I like the seamless application of the grass/weeds in & around the track.  Also the little details: pallets, cinders, spare ties, traffic cones... You're paying attention!

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8585
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »
0
I like this:



It reminds me of this:



Nice work, Ian!

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »
0
I like the look as well, especially the newly cut and covered tracks in the parking lot.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


JSL

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 439
  • Gender: Male
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »
0
That looks great.

JSL

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11600
    • Conrail 1285
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
0
I agree about the rail color.

And I think you could accomplish the ghost rails in the street using a pair of pencil lines.

Other than that, I think it's awesome.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »
0


And I think you could accomplish the ghost rails in the street using a pair of pencil lines.



And half a$$ it? Nah, crumbling pavement next to an actual rail is the way to go!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »
0
I have to admit that track through the heart of a passenger stations parking lot seems unatural*.  I'm trying to imagine what it would have looked like when in service with all the warning signs and such.  Would there even be room left over for more than one vehicle in the lot?

Besides that, is that depot facing the right way?  Are there bays on both sides?


*I will say I know nothing about "commuter" stations or how they fit into their surroundings.

Jason
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:41:03 PM by wcfn100 »

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
0
I have to admit that track through the heart of a passenger stations parking lot seems unatural*.  I'm trying to imagine what it would have looked like when in service with all the warning signs and such.  Would there even be room left over for more than one vehicle in the lot?

Besides that, is that depot facing the right way?  Are there bays on both sides?


*I will say I know nothing about "commuter" stations or how they fit into their surroundings.

Jason

Bays on both sides.

Urban commuter stations, had little to no parking in lots. Most was street side parking or in a lot located elsewhere. There is enough parking for 6 vehicles up front with 15' clearance of the rail. The lot for all the cars was located to the right for this one. It's  being modeled as an overgrown pavement and stone lot.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:02:27 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

JoeD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1938
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1389
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
0
I like what you did there, very well done!
 ;D

Joe
MTL
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »
0
Bays on both sides.

Urban commuter stations, had little to no parking in lots. Most was street side parking or in a lot located elsewhere. There is enough parking for 6 vehicles up front with 15' clearance of the rail. The lot for all the cars was located to the right for this one. It's  being modeled as an overgrown pavement and stone lot.


Thanks Ian.  I have no frame of reference for some of the east coast stuff.  I can start to picture it with your explanation.  Still odd about the depot.


Jason

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: New industrial track suggestions
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 04:24:02 PM »
0
It is an odd ball station, a modified Pella depot kit. It's very very loosely based on the depot from my rural hometown of Epping that was situated in a similar triangle lot where the Fremont Branch of the B&M came off the Portsmouth Branch mainline. The station had a center agent area with bays on both sides for two operators as the Fremont Branch was heavily traveled by passenger trains connecting with the Manchester & Lowell Branch in Windham before the Fremont branch was dead ended in the 70's.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1