Author Topic: Kato September Announcements  (Read 21780 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
0
A Maxi-I, holy crap!

Maxi-I, is that correct???   :o :o 
Man, I'm going to run out of things to wish for.   :D 
Really going to have to work on some etched platforms for these and the Maxi-IVs now (assuming they're still plastic).

Gary, as Traincat has the design work done for a Maxi-I, Bob may also be able to design up a detailing set for these too....
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
0
Dave.

Just run a C&O E on am Amtrak.


Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 03:58:22 PM »
0
Bob BUfkin, ladies and gentlemen - Slayer of the "It Ain't Prototype" cliche' at every turn!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


choochin3

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 675
  • Respect: +5
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »
0
Oh crap, PC E units,AND passenger cars? I really picked a bad time to have another kid. :'(
Looks like I'm gonna hafta break into the GG1 piggy bank.Cause I gotta get them.

Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
0
Philip.

You should have seen the kind of units Amtrak ran in the beginning.  Anything goes in those days.  One photo I wish I had taken was a Southbound Florida trainh with a Burlington silver early E unit on the headend at Alexandria, VA.  Believe it was an E5 or 6.  Amtrak trains in those days looked like a model railroader couldn't make up his mind what to model, so said the hell with it an ran anything he liked. 

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
0
For an idea of the "Rainbow Era" I love Hebners, it's what I am using to make a small Amtrak fleet:

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtErain.html

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8586
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »
0
Dave.

Just run a C&O E on am Amtrak.

I sure can, and I have an awesome custom-painted B&O (merger scheme) Kato E8 shell that sizemore gave me to serve that purpose as well.  This weekend, I won a Life Like E8 on eBay cheap that I plan to try to put under that Kato shell.  I know, I know, Katos run a lot smoother, but this frame was a heck of a lot cheaper, will mate with my existing LL C&O E8 better, and will give Lee additional income when he decoderizes it.   ;D  But, you have to admit, that Kato Amtrak E9 would be really nice, too.

Dave

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8586
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »
0
For an idea of the "Rainbow Era" I love Hebners, it's what I am using to make a small Amtrak fleet:

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtErain.html

The S.

Ha!  The second and third pictures on the site provided by The S. are of a B&O E-unit on an Amtrak train at Williamsburg, Virginia.  Perfect!

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »
0
I didn't mean my previous post to be a complaint against Kato.  I was just trying to point out the prototype's pedigree for those who were interested.  The differences between an E8 and an E9 are minor; in fact, Life Like has marketed theirs as an E8/9.

I might be in the market for an Amtrak E unit in Phase 1, because it would mesh perfectly with my early 1970s C&O (pre-Chessie System) rolling stock.  I love looking back at the rainbow of passenger cars on those early Amtrak trains.  That allows modelers of that era to run a random selection of cars in various roadnames.  To anyone who does that, though, be mindful that there were a few roads (e.g., Southern Ry.) that opted out of Amtrak in the beginning.

Dave

My response wasn't so much a complaint against Kato (I couldn't tell an E8 from an E9 on my best day) as much as a thinly veiled "snark" at the seemingly "teflon" skin of Kato; if Bachmann had been the mfg instead of Kato there'd have been 5 comments about Bachmann screwing up again; but nary a comment "beacuse" it's Kato...they get a heck of a lot more rope than others.

Sour grapes on my part; maybe; I'm not a Kato Kool aid drinker.... but I do appreciate the fine products they bring our; regardless of my need for them. it's just a "cheap" shot on my part I guess....I also don't want to hijack the thread so I'll just shut up now.... :-X
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8586
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 04:51:41 PM »
0
My response wasn't so much a complaint against Kato (I couldn't tell an E8 from an E9 on my best day) as much as a thinly veiled "snark" at the seemingly "teflon" skin of Kato; if Bachmann had been the mfg instead of Kato there'd have been 5 comments about Bachmann screwing up again; but nary a comment "beacuse" it's Kato...they get a heck of a lot more rope than others.

Sour grapes on my part; maybe; I'm not a Kato Kool aid drinker.... but I do appreciate the fine products they bring our; regardless of my need for them. it's just a "cheap" shot on my part I guess....I also don't want to hijack the thread so I'll just shut up now.... :-X

Ooh, sorry, Puddy.  I thought I was being accused of an unnecessary attack on Kato in my first post, which is why I responded to your post.  I certainly didn't mean for you to feel the same way or slighted in any manner.

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
0
Don't worry Dave.  When I finally get Pud's papers in order so he can cross the damn border, you can just slap him around in person.  You ARE coming down for the Hershey show next summer, aren't you, big fella?  I will personally provide a fifth of Jack to you upon your arrival...  Well, maybe half of a fifth if you're running late.  Either way, we won't be welcome on the N track set up committee ;D

Jim Beam
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9964
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2884
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »
0
I am glad for you Eastern Modelers . Maybe Kato will do a Reading / American Freedom Train T1 4-8-4 , that would open my wallet .


Richie Dost

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »
0
Maxi-I, is that correct???   :o :o 

Man, I'm going to run out of things to wish for.   :D 

Really going to have to work on some etched platforms for these and the Maxi-IVs now (assuming they're still plastic).


Wow, I read right past that...assumed they were talking about Maxi-IV's.   Maxi-I's would be great...I'd be in for the TTX and also Maersk/BN(SF) patch.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
0
If you check that car # out on railcarphotos, it is not a Maxi-IV, but a car with a 40' well...

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: Kato September Announcements
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »
0
If you check that car # out on railcarphotos, it is not a Maxi-IV, but a car with a 40' well...

Because model railroad manufacturers always have appropriate car numbers....   ;)

Seriously I didn't doubt that at all....I just didn't read the post in the first place...honestly thought it said Maxi-IV as I was skimming and certainly wouldn't have seen the car number and said "hey wait that's a Maxi-I" anyway. 

Regardless, it's an exciting announcement!
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.