Author Topic: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?  (Read 3028 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3529
  • Respect: +391
MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »
0
I have a Parlor car that has seem to lost an axle.  Interesting as I always check the axles when taking out of the box and placing it on layout and I can not find any loose axles laying around the layout.  It has only been on one track since I got it.  So, the only options I have found is buy a whole new truck or buy a box of 100 axles.  Any other options that I am missing that give a smaller stock of axles and not a now useless truck?

Bad Natalie, Bad Girl!   ;D
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »
0
Have Micro-trains send you an axle.  Always have been more than willing to accommodate when it comes to taking care of an issue.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »
0
Have Micro-trains send you an axle.  Always have been more than willing to accommodate when it comes to taking care of an issue.

I like Bryan's approach best!

But FYI, you don't need to buy 100 of them:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/489-312006


sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
0
Replace with FVM 36" wheels. They fit a little better than the MT axle and are much more free rolling.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3529
  • Respect: +391
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »
0
Ah, my favorite etailors only show the box of 48 or 100 axles.  I hate to ask MT to send me something when it was clearly my error.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:07:08 PM »
0
Well, if ya have to order online I'm sure MBK will get it for ya. I special order there all the time. Chulvis would probably do the same. Just have the part # handy for the 12pak.


sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
0
It just occurred to me, if I didnt throw them out...I probably have a few flying around the workbench somewhere, give me an address (backchannel) I'll send them your way now that I am thinking about it.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

jmlaboda - RIP

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2181
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 06:58:42 PM »
0
"Replace with FVM 36" wheels."

What would be the appropriate set.  I believe that axle lengths are different for various manufacturers.

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3529
  • Respect: +391
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 03:00:11 PM »
0
"Replace with FVM 36" wheels."

What would be the appropriate set.  I believe that axle lengths are different for various manufacturers.

On one website I noticed it specifically stated FVM 36" would not work for MT heavywieght Pullman trucks.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

jmlaboda - RIP

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2181
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
0
"On one website I noticed it specifically stated FVM 36" would not work for MT heavywieght Pullman trucks."

They wouldn't work with the "OLD" heavyweight truck because of the brakeshoe detail, unless this was filed down or removed.  There shouldn't be a problem with the new truck, which is based on Type 1910/1910A.

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3529
  • Respect: +391
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
0
That is good to know!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
0
For the older MTL truck the 33" should work. For the new heavyweight cars I am using the straight FVM 36" MT axle sized wheelsets with no issues. Improved weight and tracking, not as much friction as the delrin MT axles.

The S.

PS. Your MT axles were shipped this morning via USPS in a video-mailer sized box.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3529
  • Respect: +391
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »
0
For the older MTL truck the 33" should work. For the new heavyweight cars I am using the straight FVM 36" MT axle sized wheelsets with no issues. Improved weight and tracking, not as much friction as the delrin MT axles.

The S.

PS. Your MT axles were shipped this morning via USPS in a video-mailer sized box.

I appreciate the information.  And I appreciate the spare axles even more!  Hopefully I can return the favor some day! 8)
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »
0
Replace with FVM 36" wheels. They fit a little better than the MT axle and are much more free rolling.

The S.

here here...
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: MT Pullman Heavyweight Truck Axle ?
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »
0
here here...

I paid attention in science class where they stated that two like materials result increased wear versus materials of different types depending on the application IIRC ;)

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website