Author Topic: Your Thoughts  (Read 9334 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
Re: Your Thoughts
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »

I'm not saying that stock cars didn't travel in the east, only that the iconic image of a stock car getting loaded at a small pen seems to belong to the west.

Ed,

I think you are slightly influenced in a Hollywood way ...

http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/thumbs/photos/NW03358.jpg

Mark ;)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 10:01:52 AM »
After looking at the auto box I noticed the front and rear end of other autos above the auto pictured.  The old autoboxcars carried anywhere from 3 to 5 autos on racks in the boxcars.  Before trucks took over hometown delivery these type boxcars would have unloading docks in just about any small town with a car dealership. 

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
Ok, this has been yet another useful thread for me - I've learned a bit more about stock cars. Significantly, I learned that the IM (ATSF based) Stock car would be a much better stand-in for a N&W (SH or SK) stock car then the MTL/Kadee (NYC) car - if for no other reason the IM car is single level like N&W's stockers.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/NS2780.jpeg

Mark

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 12:21:05 PM »
Mark

Several of my reference/photo books on the PRR have a photo of a PRR train leaving Hagerstown, MD headed to Enola.  The last car before the cabin car is a N&W stockcar.  Show they didn't always run in blocks.  Always wondered where it was heading.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »
Recall seeing strings of stock cars on the B&O line running to Phila. And where I lived in Chester, the spur for the team track/freight station also had a cattle pen to deliver livestock to the meat packers in the city. By the early 60's when I was old enough to get around to the facilities, any livestock traffic had ceased.

I'm with Ed N about the wrong auto in the wood sheathed car. If there was DeLorean in N, to put that in such a car would really be a neat tongue in cheek thing. Guess the flux capacitor was out of order.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 01:12:08 PM »
The last car before the cabin car is a N&W stockcar. 

I feel sorry for the crew of that cabin.   :-X

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 03:43:55 PM »
I was hoping the cattle ramp would make an otherwise plain car a bit more interesting.  Correct about the wrong car inside the AutoBox, but it became a time issue as the parts were done, photo needed to be taken and the right era car had not shown up thanks to Mr Slow Poke USPS guy. Figured you guys would be clever enough to see past the stand in.  ;D

Any good ideas for other "throw-ins" is always welcome.  We just got our own laser set up (Gosh I'm never going home now!) and want to do more value added parts along the way.  Looking at laser cut loads as well.

Joe
MTL
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
Joe

One load I've been waiting for is the coke containers that fit into gons.  The HO guy have had them a long time.

Bob

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
I want a crossing shanty that the guy pops out and waves a lantern when the train goes by...
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
Figure it out how to make it work and we'll consider it   ;D

I want a crossing shanty that the guy pops out and waves a lantern when the train goes by...
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 04:06:59 PM »
Joe

One load I've been waiting for is the coke containers that fit into gons.  The HO guy have had them a long time.

Bob

Like these?

http://www.micro-trains.com/loads_n.php

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »
Those are the type, although I'd rather have individual containers.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »
Those are the type, although I'd rather have individual containers.

I'd prefer individual ones too Bob.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
Grain doors for box cars.  You can even dress up a stock cars with them.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=68661

Jason

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »
I was hoping the cattle ramp would make an otherwise plain car a bit more interesting.  Correct about the wrong car inside the AutoBox, but it became a time issue as the parts were done, photo needed to be taken and the right era car had not shown up thanks to Mr Slow Poke USPS guy. Figured you guys would be clever enough to see past the stand in.  ;D

Any good ideas for other "throw-ins" is always welcome.  We just got our own laser set up (Gosh I'm never going home now!) and want to do more value added parts along the way.  Looking at laser cut loads as well.

Joe
MTL

Hmm.. What about some dunnage/blocking for some of the open loads? Shoot, since you did it already, maybe a runner pack of reefers with a packing house: "industry in a box".

I like the combined arms marketing approach on stuff like this, and I think it can go far with the daisy pickers who come into a hobby shop looking for something to put on the layout.