Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/15/2010  (Read 14256 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4891
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +838
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »
0
Below is my crude attempt at making a tool for bending the skirts on brass car sides. I couldnt get both pieces of brass hot enough to bleed the joints using a conventional soldering iron. I switched to a butane type torch much like a plumber soldering copper again not hot enough. I'll have to rethink the tool.



The S.

You may try to just bend it using the bender thingy that guys that install flashing use.

As for me, I'd go oxy-acetylene and braze it, but unless you have the skill I wouldn't recommend that.  Of course, it helps that I have a torch.
I like ducks



sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +145
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »
0
I thought about using the bendy thing...

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/NWSL_48_4_The_Bender_Miniature_Press_Brake_p/53-48-4.htm

This is for hard bends, like 45*, 90* etc. When I have to build about 30 cars I need a tool that quickly and efficiently does the work for me, where I can lay the carside in it, press and go. If there is a tool like this already available that can make roundbends I'm all ears.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9964
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2881
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
0
Below is my crude attempt at making a tool for bending the skirts on brass car sides. I couldnt get both pieces of brass hot enough to bleed the joints using a conventional soldering iron. I switched to a butane type torch much like a plumber soldering copper again not hot enough. I'll have to rethink the tool.



The S.

What about a piano hinge as a long modelers brake for folding . Just clamp a radius tube in many many places firmly to eliminate creep while folding . Could work ... maybe .


Richie Dost

TrainCat2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +932
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »
0
I use this:





Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +145
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
0
What about a piano hinge as a long modelers brake for folding . Just clamp a radius tube in many many places firmly to eliminate creep while folding . Could work ... maybe .

Richie,
Gotta link?

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +145
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »
0
I use this:

Images removed

I thought about using them but then my bends could be inconsistent, when you have to do 28 carsides that can get tedious and my forearms will be huge! Additionally it will mar/scratch the polished plating on the carsides.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4891
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +838
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
0
I thought about using the bendy thing...

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/NWSL_48_4_The_Bender_Miniature_Press_Brake_p/53-48-4.htm

This is for hard bends, like 45*, 90* etc. When I have to build about 30 cars I need a tool that quickly and efficiently does the work for me, where I can lay the carside in it, press and go. If there is a tool like this already available that can make roundbends I'm all ears.

The S.

I'll see what I can grep for you.
I like ducks



up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9964
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2881
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 12:24:32 PM »
0
What about a piano hinge as a long modelers brake for folding . Just clamp a radius tube in many many places firmly to eliminate creep while folding . Could work ... maybe .

Richie,
Gotta link?

The S.

I just thought it up , should be easy to rig up .


Richie Dost

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2099
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 12:30:30 PM »
0
I use this:

Images removed

I thought about using them but then my bends could be inconsistent, when you have to do 28 carsides that can get tedious and my forearms will be huge! Additionally it will mar/scratch the polished plating on the carsides.

The S.

Hey Popeye,
time to bullk up on the spinach
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6035
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »
0
S.,

Take a look at the Etch-Mate - http://www.micromark.com/ETCH-MATE-3C,8737.html - video. I'm not recommending you buy the tool, but the video illustrates the 'lift' you need, of the car side. You're looking at pressing the smaller bit of metal down, which is the more resistant part (it's harder to break a small stick than it is a long one, right). Instead, lift the larger portion to ease the work. Clamp the car side underneath a steel rod the correct diameter, where you want the curve to be and lift the majority of the car side, and you have your horizontally situated curve.

B.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »
0

All the track is down on the Black River section.  Filled the gaps in the scenery base and then painted it 'cause I was tired of looking at the pink foam.  It's coming along.  Won't get much done for the next couple of weeks unfortunately.

Steve





Nice bridge.

Rich Reinhart

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
0
I did a little 1/1 scale railroading on Sunday, does that count?


ednadolski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5075
  • Respect: +2094
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »
0
No railroading, but I got to fly a plane for the first time ever on Saturday.

(Yes, it was a real plane....)   ;D

Ed

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 03:25:44 PM »
0
Saw Tears for Fears at the Casino (Rama)... GF's favorite band. No little trains.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9964
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2881
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
0
I did a little 1/1 scale railroading on Sunday, does that count?



Ok , without looking this perticular loco up God knows where , who can figure what it is and why , E , F , or FP and type number ?


Richie Dost