Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/15/2010  (Read 11986 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:21:44 AM »
As I've added nothing of late I thought I'd start the parade this week................

One project I have finally completed the first of (I have 6 to do...) is the new GHQ Canadian National 8 hatch reefers.

GHQ has done a kick butt job on this kit; resin shell; peuter frame and brass parts will yield a moderate skill level modeler a very accurate and detailed Canadian National reefer - the kind seen all over North American from the 40's into the 80's.

The kits is well made; easy to build and the decals; instructions and details are outstanding.

I built one kit in the mid 1950's scheme; I will build some others in a "wiggle worm" livery as well (GHQ's forum promises an article on how to modify these to a CPR car...I'm waiting !)

Here's a picture of the freshly weathered car....

I've also been working with some of the new Micro Train heavyweight passenger cars this week and I have to say that they are some of the best designed; easiest to work with units I've ever seen.

The roofs; ends; interior and windows pop out easily; they are all very well detailed and present the modeler with a great opportunity to detail.

I chose a GN 12-1 and a Pulman 10-1-2 to work with; and thnaks to Jerry's help I have now at least a passing knowledge of the MT cars; their liniage and their actual names and assignements within the GN....thanks Jerry !

I disaasembled the cars; added a name to the Pullman 10-1-2 (Lake Dorr was a car originally assigned to the UP but was used system wide by the end of her life)weathered each car lightly and then set out to make the roof look weather worn.

I used a weathered black to repaint the roof and then powders to add both a weather beaten look and to flatten the appearance.

The cars were loaded with 6 - 8 passengers; some of whom are positioned in open windows and given bright colours so they stand out. Window shades of a olive construction paper were added - these look better in 1:1 scale then they do in the following macro shots - you don't see the fibre texture when using the naked eye.

I also swapped the wheel sets for metal wheels and they make a huge difference in how the cars roll.

I ran these two cars with my GN heavyweight consist and they are great additions.

Lake Dorr was assigned at some time to the UP but finished her life in pool service with other RR's....

"Glacier" was never owned by the GN (thanks Jerry !) but was at one time assigned to the GN... they actually only owned two 12-1's of this plan (thanks again Jerry ! ;D)

As I model 1973 ish time frame I thought the white tank top was fitting...hehehehehe

The more classic woman putting her luggage away was an attempt to counter balance the aforementioned tank top...snicker....

... and just because every passenger train needs a signature tail car to carry the markers....I know it's not from MT...yet !

Busy train week for "da Pud".......so wat ya got ?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:24:35 AM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Weekend Update 8/15/2010
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »
I have some of those GHQ's to do also . As usual perfect work Pud .

UP 4924 goes to paint next

Richie Dost

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:26:10 AM »
Mike:  The reefer looks great.  I wish they had done done a PGE/BCR version.

Richie:  Great work on the steamer.  What is the structure on the slope of the tender?

During this last week of my summer holidays I focused on two projects.  The first was to get going on the permanent installation of the DCC system.  I have been running with a temporary hookup for some time now and we are about to begin work on our third power district, so it is time.

A plywood panel was built to accommodate the circuit breakers which will manage the eight power districts.  Barrier strips will be used to facilitate quick and easy connections to the track bus runs around the layout.  The separate plywood panel will allow much of the fiddly work to be done on the workbench.  Here is the panel in place for a test fit:

After painting, the two PSX4 circuit breaker modules were fastened to the panel with #4 3/4" round head wood screws.  Nylon spacers were inserted underneath to enable the circuit boards to stand off the panel.  The barrier strips were cut into sections and fastened with #2 round head wood screws.  This photograph shows the circuit breakers and barrier strips in place:

The next step was to run all of the wiring for the track buses.  Even though the distances are short, it is important to use the same gauge of wire as the runs around the layout to avoid voltage loss.  The main track bus from the command station will attach to the top left barrier strip; from there the bus is divided into two runs to supply the two PSX4 units.  From there jumper wires feed the other circuit breakers.  From the breakers, the eight individual track buses head up to another barrier strip where the runs around the layout will be connected.  The 14 AWG wires were secured with nylon cable clamps:

Next up are all of the lead wires for the remote status LED indicators - these will route to the barrier strips along the top.

Also, last week I posted photographs of two test sections for a potential scratchbuild of a PGE/BCR 7100 series twin trailer flat car.  The actual build began this week and good progress was made:

Back to work next week - yuk.  Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
Thanks , it is a fire hose enclosure . Very common on UP slope's .

Richie Dost

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
Burned up a Digitrax PR3 on Saturday...  Not sure how it happened.  But, since that wasn't pic-worthy, here ya go:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:28:19 PM by Dave Vollmer »

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »
Tim everything you do is so neat . Your wiring considerations and layout make me feel you are in the industry .

Richie Dost

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
Tim everything you do is so neat . Your wiring considerations and layout make me feel you are in the industry .

I wasn't aware the conservatory music training and teachers college helped develop ones electronics accument....."Giggle"........ ;)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:20:03 AM »
Finished the TrainCat Pennsy gon.  Slightly modified and decorated as a straight G22.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 03:20:21 PM »
I wasn't aware the conservatory music training and teachers college helped develop ones electronics accument....."Giggle"........

Didn't you know?  We teachers can do have to do everything . . .  ;)

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
Well, not as fancy as what you all have posted, but I did start roughing in the new staging yard lead ..

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 04:05:04 PM »

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »
Well, not as fancy as what you all have posted, but I did start roughing in the new staging yard lead ..

Will it be double ended John ?

Richie Dost

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
Had a busy past two weeks moving BLMA Models to a new location.  We're now located directly across from the BNSF triple-track mainline and famed depot in Fullerton, California.  I had the pleasure of hosting author Pelle Søeborg as our first guest to the new location:

And, we've got SIX new locomotive detail parts to announce in the coming weeks, PLUS a new freight car that is completely tooled and ready-to-go. 
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:23:31 PM »
Great shots everybody.   Puddington, thx for all the continuing inspiration on N scale passenger cars.

Here's a photo for me this week.  Renumbered a couple of stock Atlas SP SD9E's:

Have a good week, all.
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 07:36:03 PM »
And, we've got SIX new locomotive detail parts to announce in the coming weeks, PLUS a new freight car that is completely tooled and ready-to-go. 

Tease!

Congrats on the new digs tho Craig - I'm sure they'll provide plenty of inspiration. There's certainly plenty of intermodal goodness there to keep BLMA and us busy for many years... hopefully some trailers and containers are in the near future!
James Costello
Espee into the 90's