Author Topic: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?  (Read 6417 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8946
  • Respect: +1382
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 12:13:12 AM »
0
Seaboard Air Line also rebuilt some 40 foot boxcars into outside rib cars with roof hatches for Kaolin loading. There was a nice article in the Nov/Dec 2007 N-Scale Railroading on this (http://www.nscalerailroadn.com/044/NSR044.html).

Best wishes, Dave

Are you sure those were rebuilds?

SAL got series 13100-13334 new from Evans.


Jason

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6035
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 09:21:25 AM »
0
Iain,

I tried looking for photos of those NS boxcars you mentioned. Given that I couldn't figure out a web search to sepeprate the old NS from the new NS, it was pretty time consuming and the only old NS equipment I was able to come up with were 60' auto parts cars and a few pics of what looked like an ACF Precision Design cars.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4890
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 10:44:14 AM »
0
Any pics of those available online Iain? They sound interesting and I am always looking for interesting rolling stock projects.

As far as I know, there are none online.  I'll try to get up with Bill McDonald and see if I can post a shot or two.
I like ducks



Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
0
Seaboard Air Line also rebuilt some 40 foot boxcars into outside rib cars with roof hatches for Kaolin loading. There was a nice article in the Nov/Dec 2007 N-Scale Railroading on this (http://www.nscalerailroadn.com/044/NSR044.html).

Best wishes, Dave

Are you sure those were rebuilds?

SAL got series 13100-13334 new from Evans.


Jason


Good catch Jason.  I took a look at the article this morning and you are correct. According to the NSR article SAL did rebuild 100 PS boxcars with roof hatches in 1965, but these did not have vertical
ribs. The rib sides were built new by Evans in 1966 & 1967 and totaled 235 cars. Cool cars. Thanks for the correction.   

Best wishes
Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6035
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »
0
One of the rebuilt SAL cars:



A CoG cousin:



And this Monon car seems to have roof hatches too:



I wonder what for?

I wish I could lay my hands on a photo of that Milwaukee - BC covered hopper-box car hybrid they tried. If ever there was a rail chimera, that was it.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8946
  • Respect: +1382
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
0
Seaboard Air Line also rebuilt some 40 foot boxcars into outside rib cars with roof hatches for Kaolin loading. There was a nice article in the Nov/Dec 2007 N-Scale Railroading on this (http://www.nscalerailroadn.com/044/NSR044.html).

Best wishes, Dave

Are you sure those were rebuilds?

SAL got series 13100-13334 new from Evans.


Jason


Good catch Jason.  I took a look at the article this morning and you are correct. According to the NSR article SAL did rebuild 100 PS boxcars with roof hatches in 1965, but these did not have vertical
ribs. The rib sides were built new by Evans in 1966 & 1967 and totaled 235 cars. Cool cars. Thanks for the correction.   

Best wishes
Dave


FWIW, the MS Color Guide says that the last 35 cars in the series had 4 hatches at the ends of the cars (two at each end) as opposed to the two in opposite corners.  SCL received exterior post boxcars with hatches from Pullman in '67 as well.


Jason

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8946
  • Respect: +1382
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 02:41:37 PM »
0

And this Monon car seems to have roof hatches too:



I wonder what for?

I wish I could lay my hands on a photo of that Milwaukee - BC covered hopper-box car hybrid they tried. If ever there was a rail chimera, that was it.


The Monon did rebuild some boxcars in '69 with roof hatches for grain loading but I can only find reference to a different number series.


Jason

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »
0
CN and CP both had some 40' cars with roof hatches for potash loading. Their appearance wasn't as obviously as the southern kaolin cars though as the hatch was under the running board.


sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6035
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »
0
Curious, but probably necessary use of two different roof panel types? Chris, got a 3/4 or side pic of the car or one in the same series?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.


wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Identify this (half of a) boxcar?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »
0
Potash...not to be confused with Bong Resin.  ;)
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA