Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/8/2010  (Read 8205 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26100
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11591
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »
0
Hahahahahah. Smalltimore!

Yeah Lee, we passed by it and almost hit it, but it would've interfered with the Magerks run, and above all, the man IS from Philly.

But we were tempted. Damn tempted.

ryourstone

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 482
  • Respect: +5
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 11:36:44 PM »
0
Rich, you need to build a layout that runs.  The photos are nice, but I miss the layout shots.

I would, if only I could settle on a prototype! The layout in this video has me thinking of the corridor. I'd do like the N scalers in Japan do though, poles only no actual cat. If you look at the pre-cat scene at around 2:40 it still looks pretty good:

ednadolski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5073
  • Respect: +2094
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 01:02:33 AM »
0
I've been struggling to come up with a body-mount coupler solution that was worth the trouble. 

Have you tried Brian's method using the rectangular brass tubing?

Ed

mark dance

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1280
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
0
I managed to finish the ground cover and ballasting at Cascade - the foot of Eastbound pushers ops - and messed around with single-handed pusher operations (see Youtube link if you are interested).

Mark, you have such a remarkable layout, always appreciate when you share it with us. Ironically, I decided to read 'The Crow and the Kettle' this weekend for the umteenth time.

Many thx for the kind compliment. 

Yeah the Crow and the Kettle was a huge inspiration.  CP's Boundary and Slocan rail barge operations are fascinating and it is a lot of fun to try and reproduce them accurately in N scale.  We have a small op session on Tuesday where we are going to put pusher operations on both sides of Farron Hill through their paces...we will see.  If it goes well I will integrate pushers into the formal time table even though the prototype abandoned helpers on the grade with dieselization.  Modeller's License !

I have a photo album with track plans on Flikr in case anyone is interested. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

brokemoto

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Respect: +296
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 04:37:57 AM »
0







Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26100
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11591
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
0
And videos of Dave Vaughn's O Scale layout are now here:
http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,21962.new.html

rswinnerton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1313
  • Gender: Male
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
0
Saturday I picked up my daughter from Messiah College. She's in an advanced summer program there and had been there for six weeks.

Sunday, my business partner Joe and GonzoCRfan came over and we put noses to the grindstone on my 1:1 scale toys. Joe and I have started a business restoring an selling railroad signals. Our current project is a SA series searchlight signal set up. It has 2 SA searchlight heads, mast, pinnicle, and base and is wired to operate. I only really took 2 pictures. The first is part of the base of the unit in primer. We had just ground off all the rust and old paint before applying the primer and then gave it 3 coats of black paint. The second picture is  about 11pm last night and is us testing the light modules and relays. Both worked flawlessly. We're going to have the entire setup at next weekend's RailBQ for sale.

Primered base


Testing light modules

Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

rswinnerton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1313
  • Gender: Male
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
0
I should add that there are no pics of the finished product yet because it was 10:30 before we came inside! Will post pics next weekend
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9960
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 01:53:06 PM »
0
How much does the whole assembled unit weigh and how high ?


Richie Dost

rswinnerton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1313
  • Gender: Male
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »
0
Each assembly is on an 8' mast plus about 4" for the pinnacle.  (These can be cut down to size). Each setup weighs about 300-350 lb, but the weight can be reduced by only using a single head or shorter mast, etc.
Russ
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8945
  • Respect: +1381
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »
0
I'm just starting to go through some of the pictures and videos from my trip. 

This is Talkeetna, AK. where we picked up the train the Whittier.  The passing train is from a different cruise line.  I don't know the story on the one sitting.  Our train has yet to arrive.


After the train passed, we had a few minutes to head over to the West Rib Pub and Grill for a pitcher of Ice Axe Ale.  Unfortunately, we didn't have time to try the 'Seward`s Folly' which was on Man vs. Food.


Jason

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2010, 04:19:35 PM »
0
I painted some of the white plaster on the door layout...and figured out where all the loose wiring finally went. Last night and some this afternoon I've been watching my Mopac GP15 pull five 40' loaded coal hoppers around the layout. Nothing too exciting, but I've enjoyed watching a train run!

This door layout has seven sidings in four locations on the layout. The former owner had not laid track past the turnouts on five of the sidings. I happened to have some code 80 still in the closet, so I laid track on three of the sidings. The other two are on the front right edge, and I'm thinking one of the two could be used to connect future door or shelf additions, so it will more or less run to the end of the door and stop there.

It's a twice around loop with an over/under area. There is one curve that I really don't like because it's so cramped, it's 9-3/4" radius. I'm looking at making it a little wider, but doing that will cut out two of the siding tracks, so I'm looking where I can move those to in order to keep as many switching areas as possible.

Forgot I snapped a couple pics on my Iphone yesterday...






« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:33:46 PM by MichaelT »

JoeD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1938
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1389
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
0
Dropped a C Note on 1x4 lumber for the legs and base of my layout and a few sheets of Birch Ply.  Still noodling around with the actual track layout, but working to avoid any sharp corners.  Got a sheet of Bendy-ply to wrapp once things are settled, then some Formica to clean it all up.  Going for a more organic layout that makes best use of space without a mess of track and switches.  Because on the on-going delay in Code 55 track, I worked some more on my Door Top Module for the show in November.  Cut up some rock molds and am mocking up a piece of Pacific Grove  and the small SP Yard there.  Lots of Irons in the fire.

Joe
MTL
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16563
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »
0
That's a good looking layout, Michael...  Now, put a few more lights in the room!

 ;D
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Weekend Update 8/8/2010
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:54 PM »
0
The way the MT heavies should couple.....



There is a "how to" in N&W 's MT vs. Rivarossi topic.

http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,21910.0.html
Tony Hines